New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
And lastly... Ginger room mate need to get sucked into space with the head of Engineering!

Yep, you'd surely bunk up the new cadet with the most notorious mutineer in Starfleet, someone who might conceivably do anything to escape a life sentence. Also, her skin is really bad and hidden under a lot of makeup, so I'm surprised they cast her. As a character, Tilly just seems so out of step with the darker tone of the show. Would they really put a new cadet on a top secret research ship running black ops projects? It's like they wanted a tick-box Wesley Crusher character. Plus with all the red hair and the fact she's built along more generous lines, makes Michael look like a teeny-tiny child standing beside her. At the end when she's got her hair down I'm just thinking Merida from "Brave".

I thought the engineering guy was good though. The sort of person you'd love to hate. They should make him a real pain-in-the-ass everywhere else, but utterly brilliant and indispensable at his job.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, you'd surely bunk up the new cadet with the most notorious mutineer in Starfleet, someone who might conceivably do anything to escape a life sentence. Also, her skin is really bad and hidden under a lot of makeup, so I'm surprised they cast her. As a character, Tilly just seems so out of step with the darker tone of the show. Would they really put a new cadet on a top secret research ship running black ops projects? It's like they wanted a tick-box Wesley Crusher character. Plus with all the red hair and the fact she's built along more generous lines, makes Michael look like a teeny-tiny child standing beside her. At the end when she's got her hair down I'm just thinking Merida from "Brave".

I thought the engineering guy was good though. The sort of person you'd love to hate. They should make him a real pain-in-the-ass everywhere else, but utterly brilliant and indispensable at his job.

And then just rename it SG-Atlantis. :)

Soldato
episode 3 was a lot better than the first 2 episodes...so there is hope yet. Quite a good episode..

However i just ate how i have to wait each week..for single 38 min episodes...i thought this was the digital age...why not release the season all at once and the viewer can decide when to watch them?

I suppose some people still like tv to be structured for them at X times of the day/week.

edit : i like the security woman...shes quite hot

Associate
It seems to be a Section 31 origin story covering how a Utopia can hang onto its ideals when in a state of war.

The NCC-1031 registry of the Discovery is a bit heavy handed.

I hope it becomes more of an ensemble piece as Burnham isn't as engaging as she should be for a series lead, the supporting cast haven't really had much chance to shine but Lorne is by far the most interesting and morally ambiguous character on the show.

Engineering guy was pretty good though, the fact he pretty much complained about being drafted is another pointer towards Section 31 though.

Soldato
A much better pilot than episodes 1&2.

Loved the ship and the secrets she holds.

I saw the USS Glenn had the registry of NCC-1010 or 1020. Couldn't make it out easily.

Last edited:
Soldato
And then just rename it SG-Atlantis. :)

Well the thing with Rodney McKay is you kind of feel sorry for him at the beginning, because although he's brilliant, he's also a selfish coward, a pompous *******, a bit of a paranoid hypochondriac and doesn't really have any friends or understand how other people feel. That's why he's bad to people, he doesn't understand other people at all and he's insecure. You wouldn't want to be him, though his character grows as the series proceeds. He actually becomes a better person, as well as learning to overcome his limitations. Rodney knows he's brilliant, he also knows he's limited and flawed everywhere else. He's probably a breakout character because he grows, and there's always opportunity to do so as he's the point man constantly playing catchup on Wraith and Ancient technology.
In his initial roles in Stargate SG1, he's a very limited and two dimensional character that was fleshed out for Stargate Atlantis, and more so when he turned out to be a breakout character.

Stamets on the other hand strikes me as just being driven and nasty. He understands people and doesn't care for them at all, unless you're part of his peer group or friends. Everyone else is inferior. The way he talks to Michael in the engineering lab is dismissive and condescending. In the shuttle, he shows he considers her as less than the dirt on his shoes, even though he knows nothing of her as a person. He's totally elitist and doesn't value anything that anyone can do better than him if it's not related to his work. It's early days yet, we don't really know too much of him as a character and whether he's be significant or just some background supporting colour.

Caporegime
Come on, it's hard to really get a handle on a character who had about 5 mins screen time so far, especially when you are comparing him to a character in multiple series of star gate.

Soldato
Come on, it's hard to really get a handle on a character who had about 5 mins screen time so far, especially when you are comparing him to a character in multiple series of star gate.

Of course we don't even know if he's going to be significant or just disappear into the background, but that little speech in the shuttle was a bit special. It plants a flag on who the character is. Rodney McKay wouldn't let you die if he could save you, Stamets would kill you if you got in his way. That's why I think it's a bit of a disservice to already label him as another McKay.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Well she is infamous, and suddenly aboard their ship as a crewmember.

Thing is, she's as much infamous in-story so far as the one who started the war with the Klingons as she is infamous as "Starfleet's first mutineer" (which is still barely believable, but whatever). But one of the rather glaring problems with that is that she wasn't responsible for starting the war with the Klingons. The war would have happened whether Burnham was there or not. Yes, she killed a Klingon - but it was in self-defence, against a Klingon who attacked her while they were in Federation territory. Yes, she tried to fire on them before they could fire on the Shenzhou - but she was stopped from doing so. The Klingons were going to attack the Federation no matter what, and you'd have thought that at least someone in this story might have worked that one out by now.

Associate
Thing is, she's as much infamous in-story so far as the one who started the war with the Klingons as she is infamous as "Starfleet's first mutineer" (which is still barely believable, but whatever). But one of the rather glaring problems with that is that she wasn't responsible for starting the war with the Klingons. The war would have happened whether Burnham was there or not. Yes, she killed a Klingon - but it was in self-defence, against a Klingon who attacked her while they were in Federation territory. Yes, she tried to fire on them before they could fire on the Shenzhou - but she was stopped from doing so. The Klingons were going to attack the Federation no matter what, and you'd have thought that at least someone in this story might have worked that one out by now.

How often do you hear about mutineers is todays navies? Stands to reason in the future it'd be even rarer.

Whether the Klingons intentions were to wage war or not Starfleet were not to know (seems only that houseless house wanted it and their leaders death kicked it off). All Starfleet know is they went aboard and she killed their leader.

Sure, it was self defence but it still kicked the conflict off from a battle to all out war.
She's infamous as the person who started it since she did mutiny with the full intention of shooting first.

Caporegime
She's responsible for the war because she told her Captain that killing the Klingon would make him a martyr which would lead to war, and that they should capture him.

But her emotions got the better of her when Captain Georgio was stabbed and she switched her Phaser from stun to kill and...made him a martyr.

Associate

What he said. :D

Back
Top Bottom