What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Just watched Black Panther (now I can finally see the Avengers) - I enjoyed it for what it was. Another character building Marvel movie. It wasn't brilliant, but it was fun to watch. Some of the typical quick comedy found in these movies worked well. Could see the story coming a mile off, but yeah, it was fun :)

The only bit I was a bit "...really" about was the armoured rhinos...out of everything :p

Associate
Under the Shadow

9/10

Really, really enjoyed this movie, a horror film from Iran. Very suspenseful, unnerving. Acting is great too. It's hard to find an intelligent and original horror movie these days, but this one blew me away. Superb horror, very tense, and leaves you with something to think about.
Highly recommended.

Soldato
Under the Shadow

9/10

Really, really enjoyed this movie, a horror film from Iran. Very suspenseful, unnerving. Acting is great too. It's hard to find an intelligent and original horror movie these days, but this one blew me away. Superb horror, very tense, and leaves you with something to think about.
Highly recommended.

Yes, I enjoyed this film too. Far better than your average Hollywood horror film.

I do think you have to start looking at foreign films to find decent examples of this genre.

Have you seen a girl walks home alone at night? Also very good.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, I enjoyed this film too. Far better than your average Hollywood horror film.

I do think you have to start looking at foreign films to find decent examples of this genre.

Have you seen a girl walks home alone at night? Also very good.

Yes. that was pretty good too. Not completely my thing but enjoyed it nevertheless.
Can recommend to anyone looking for a break from formulaic Hollywood movies.

Associate
The Thing (1982) - 10/10

Not watched in years, caught it on Sky the other night. Don't need to explain how good this classic is. If you haven't seen it then quit going to watch Marvel films and watch this.

Superbad - 8/10

Caught this on Sky last night also. One of my favorite comedies ever, still has me crying with laughter, comedy gold.

Soldato
Cargo (2017)

Seen the short a while back on YouTube and looks like it got funding for a feature. Definitely not your typical action zombie thing but at the same time nowhere near as rubbish as lot of the stuff coming out there.

Not sure how they got Martin Freeman to front this, but adds to what is probably a relatively low budget film that doesn't feel low budget.

7/10

Soldato
Pacific Rim 2 - 2/10 - aka the "Teens can do it better" version of PR1 or in other words, a god awful story where teenagers have taken over the entire running of the Yaeger program from the adults of the 1st film which this makes the film feel more like Power Rangers rather than an actual attempt at a sequel. The acting is awful from the vast majority of the "stars", the story is utterly baffling in it's stupidity and the only very slight glimmer of a silver lining is that the Monster vs Robot fights are visually entertaining if you switch off every last brain cell and sit there dribbling while Robots pull building after building down on top of Monsters (hope no-one was in them!!!!).

It's worse than all the Transformers films, it's that bad!

Soldato
Stalingrad (2013) - 3/10 - I love a good war movie and while the attempt (via CGI) to show a bigger scope is very ambitious it's ultimately sunk by having a very small story told in a very poor way from a script thats seriously OTT in silliness, for example within the first 5 minutes of "action" over a dozen fully on fire soldiers are still assaulting the enemy lines, despite being on fire etc. The story rightly reduces the scale of the conflict to a more simple "two building opposite each other and they must rout the others out" which makes it easier to get attached to characters but it's very much a "seen it all before" tale of a group of soldiers finding a helpless civilian (female) and all helping to keep her alive against overwhelming odds, so not exactly Oscar winning originality. However the actor playing the main German character does a fairly convincing job of portraying a man driven past his limits by the carnage who just wants revenge on the Russians in the building opposite after they kill his love interest.

TBH the film feels more like a CGI Studios attempt at a showcase (like Skyline) rather than a a serious film attempt.

Associate
Breaking In (2018) - 2/10

A dull and boring home invasion movie with a stupid, weak plot and some very ropey acting.

No horror or suspense, a predictable plot with no surprises, and cliché characters with dialogue that manages to be corny and sexist at times, as well as having racist undertones for no real reason.

Man of Honour
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - 7/10

Absolutely absurd, irreverent, brash and very amusing. Actually, I take it back - the characters were brash but the humour was mostly good natured and fun.

Soldato
Strange Movie in a way. Really pushes you to empathise with the "baddies" rather than the "goodies"..

I thought that. They'd done everything they could to make you hate Gerard Butler! It was very cliched but I actually quite enjoyed it, it was better than some of the other trash I've watched recently. Probably about a 6/10 for Den of Thieves.

Back
Top Bottom