Sky Fibre Optic

Caporegime
I can no longer get the full 40/10 that I once had. Even with screenshots supplied. As well as when I used to get 60MB.

Even the line stability is going down the pan. The connection can last 2 - 4 days before it drops when in the past it would last for months.

Their tech support isn't as helpful as 6 months ago. All you get is the runaround now. They were great in the past but very unhelpful these days, sadly.
Coincidentally I'm sure, when our new 'guided' troubleshooting tools were launched. Anything not immediately identified as a fault won't flag and if you want to go 'off book' then you need to request an override which could be denied depending on the situation.

Associate
I have Sky Fibre Unlimited using the SR101 sky router, and whilst the actual internet connection is good, the wifi within certain areas in my flat is terrible. The master socket and router are at one end of quite a long hallway, and as a result, the wifi signal in the bedrooms at the other end of the hallway is pretty much non existent. Unfortunately there are no electrical sockets along the hallway for me to put a wifi booster in.

Would upgrading the router to a different sky model fix the issue? The only other thing i can think of would be to run cables along the wall and ceiling, and mount the router to the ceiling, midway along the hallway.

Soldato
I have Sky Fibre Unlimited using the SR101 sky router, and whilst the actual internet connection is good, the wifi within certain areas in my flat is terrible. The master socket and router are at one end of quite a long hallway, and as a result, the wifi signal in the bedrooms at the other end of the hallway is pretty much non existent. Unfortunately there are no electrical sockets along the hallway for me to put a wifi booster in.

Would upgrading the router to a different sky model fix the issue? The only other thing i can think of would be to run cables along the wall and ceiling, and mount the router to the ceiling, midway along the hallway.

Just get a long RJ11 phone cable if you can, enabling you to move the router in your living area, would that not work? It will not impact your sync rate either.

Upgrading the router may help, it's not amazing for wifi, but you could save yourself money by just moving it with a longer phone line cable as mentioned.

Associate
I have terrible wifi in my house .The wifi on mine seems to be fine for a bit then itll suddenly drop and ill lose connection. On my phone ill have to turn wifi off and use cellular. I do have a load of things connected to wifi from tvs to ring door bells, phones and ipads but this wifi issue is a right pita.

Im using a ER115 model router than sky sent to me when i first signed up to their broadband. I recently signed up to sky q and they sent me another router (Model ER110) which has extra venting on the top and it seems to have the powerline feature which the ER115 doesn't.

Ive tried both but the ER110 completely messed with my POE Ip cameras so i switched back to the ER115. Both seemed to have terrible wifi though. Can anyone suggest anything i can try to improve the wifi? i live in a pretty small house and the router is located pretty much in centre of the house.

Would a wifi booster help? I just wish i could use my own router.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Caporegime
I have terrible wifi in my house .The wifi on mine seems to be fine for a bit then itll suddenly drop and ill lose connection. On my phone ill have to turn wifi off and use cellular. I do have a load of things connected to wifi from tvs to ring door bells, phones and ipads but this wifi issue is a right pita.

Im using a ER115 model router than sky sent to me when i first signed up to their broadband. I recently signed up to sky q and they sent me another router (Model ER110) which has extra venting on the top and it seems to have the powerline feature which the ER115 doesn't.

Ive tried both but the ER110 completely messed with my POE Ip cameras so i switched back to the ER115. Both seemed to have terrible wifi though. Can anyone suggest anything i can try to improve the wifi? i live in a pretty small house and the router is located pretty much in centre of the house.

Would a wifi booster help? I just wish i could use my own router.

Any help would be great

Thanks
You can use your own Router, Sky just won't help you or tell you how to. Google is your friend for this.

Regarding the wifi I'd try splitting the SSID's. On http://192.168.0.1 hit wireless login with admin & sky and then u tick 'synchronise 2.4 & 5GHz networks' and apply. Once your device has reconnected go back into that page and add 2.4 onto the network name and connect any devices that move around the house, tablets, mobiles, laptops etc to the new 2.4GHz network.

Associate
Not for the first time i was getting frequent disconnects and slow speed. Got a new Hub sent out and speed has gone from 35 to 52Mbps Down. Guess i know what the problem was now!

Associate
I got Sky Fibre Unlimited Plus (52Mb) back around December. I was getting around 48Mb down, which i didn't think was bad, but since then it has steadily declined to less than 35Mb.

The stats I'm getting on the router are:

Connection Speed 35000 kbps 8953 kbps
Line Attenuation 21.0 dB 29.6 dB
Noise Margin 11.5 dB 6.6 dB

Is it worth a call to support ,or will my line just not support the higher speeds now?

Caporegime
It's possible crosstalk has brought your speed down, but no harm in asking really. Try test socket and new filter if you have one as you'll likely be asked to anyway.

Caporegime
You noise margin should be trying to get close to 3dB, if DLM is holding it at 11dB then something isn't right. Do you have any noise on the line? What do you get from the test socket?

Associate
Nice simple fix there then :)

Seeing as how common the complaint is, declining speed and disconnects, i wouldn't be surprised if some of these cases were caused by older Hubs beginning to fail.

In my case it was more likely the lighning strike that fried my Ethernet port. I thought at the time the damage had been limited to that, but it looks like the Hub was affected.

I got lucky with my Openreach Engineer. He was a good guy and specifically narrowed the problem down to the Hub, testing his own Router to prove it. Sky weren't as great. When i asked them days later when i would receive the new Hub, the guy said, ”i doubt that's what your problem is".

Openreach 1 - Sky 0

V F

V F

Soldato
What is the go to 3rd party router for Sky Fibre? I keep coming across information about needing option 61 on DCHP...

Associate
Dear All

I have Sky Fibre - about 30mbit down. Router is okay, service reliable, but lots of blackspots in my house, and the garden

I am thinking about getting a Ubiquiti , and connect it to the router directly to use as an access point.

Which one would people recommend ? Its a decent size 5 bed house, new-ish build.

Will it interfere with the Sky Q boxes around the house ?

R

Mehul

Caporegime
Dear All

I have Sky Fibre - about 30mbit down. Router is okay, service reliable, but lots of blackspots in my house, and the garden

I am thinking about getting a Ubiquiti , and connect it to the router directly to use as an access point.

Which one would people recommend ? Its a decent size 5 bed house, new-ish build.

Will it interfere with the Sky Q boxes around the house ?

R

Mehul

Connect the ubiquiti to the Hub, turn DHCP and Wireless off on the hub, connect everything to the Ubiquiti including the Sky Q.

Caporegime
So the main SkyQ box picks up that signal, is that because the main DSL router is still online?

Sorry I'm interested in changing my main SkyQ router too.... Thanks

In which case forget what I've said. Just make sure it's Sky Fibre compatible. And keep your Hub for T/S purposes. I should also sate that the Sky T's and C's specifically state 'you must not use any non-sky supplied equipment with your Sky Fibre'.

Back
Top Bottom