• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to possibly announce even more impressive chip than 7980XE at Computex

Soldato
Lol, can this get any worse.
Depends how someone sees it. :)
Because those fridge units are legal in the "West", the only alternative is the LN2 closed loop solution made by Kingpin.
The benefit of that are that there is no heat to dissipate generated by the cooling solution, also you need some pretty big space to store the two 160 litre tanks. And replace one of them every week or so.

The negative, explain that to the wife, let alone the space needed.....
Can imagine the argument "Honey we must buy a 5 bedroom house and need the downstairs dining room as office, so I can keep the 2 cooling tanks. Why the dining room? Because I do not want to lift upstairs 160 litres of Liquid nitrogen every week, it will mess the stairs carpets".

Think they can all use R134a?
Not according to the manufacturer, depends the model some use R22 others R134a. And still R134a is banned.

Man of Honour
Not according to the manufacturer, depends the model some use R22 others R134a. And still R134a is banned.

In most cases I don't think R134a is actually banned until around 2020-2021 aside from 1-2 states though it is restricted and most of those units can use R134a - not all of them state it but I'm 99% sure if they can use R22 they should be able to use the other.

EDIT; Yeah other than a couple of states that have already banned it most places have a stance along the lines of:

From 2022
All F gases with global warming potentials of more than 150 will be banned as the refrigerant or foam blowing agent in any hermetically sealed system.

This will mainly affect the use of:

• HFC 134a as a refrigerant

The units themselves aren't allowed to be sold any more and/or are going to be banned from sale between now and 2022 but in most cases you can still use one if you have it already up until future regulations (depending on which gases they can use, etc.).

https://refrigeranthq.com/does-r-134a-have-a-phase-out-date/

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry didnt realise it was a sub ambient cooler until you pointed it out thought it was a big old water style cooler. you right it does requre 2.77KW for that perf
Yes -10 Ambient actually. Thats a lot.

So yes requires 1000W electricity, for 1770W cooling capacity. But 1770W cooling generates 1770W of heat "on the other side" that needs to be dissipated.
Add the 1000W heat generated by the CPU and is 2770W heat (not electricity that is 2000W CPU+cooler) that will have to be dissipate into the room.
Is simple physics tbh

So to put in perspective that is a 2770W heater into the room running for the duration the PC is operating.

Soldato
OP
I think intel should have at least indicated what it intends to do next with the X299 platform at computex.
My suspicion is that by being silent about it intel is going to quietly discontinue socket 2066 in the coming months ahead and focus its full attention on 3647.

Associate
Hmm well it might have been a bit of an embarrassment for intel but i wonder how many enthusiasts are now thinking about using one of those chillers for some mad pc build.
You might start seeing these aquarium coolers all over the place cooling all sorts of silicon soon.

OcUK Staff
I am really not sure if Intel it's self knows what's going on with HEDT platform. So speculation is totally speculation..

I have one of those chillers well higher powered one in fact and 30 l res. May get it going again :) lol... No I won't way too noisey...

Man of Honour
So yes requires 1000W electricity, for 1770W cooling capacity. But 1770W cooling generates 1770W of heat "on the other side" that needs to be dissipated.
Add the 1000W heat generated by the CPU and is 2770W heat (not electricity that is 2000W CPU+cooler) that will have to be dissipate into the room.
Is simple physics tbh

Not 100% on the physics but that isn't quite how it works - AFAIK heat is moved from one side to the other which generates a little bit of excess heat from the energy used to do that but you aren't dumping 1770 watt onto the other side that didn't exist already in the system.

Soldato
Yes -10 Ambient actually. Thats a lot.

Is simple physics tbh

So to put in perspective that is a 2770W heater into the room running for the duration the PC is operating.

That's assuming 100% efficiency. You could maybe add 15-20% to that.

I want a 3KW+ CPU.

Soldato
Not 100% on the physics but that isn't quite how it works - AFAIK heat is moved from one side to the other which generates a little bit of excess heat from the energy used to do that but you aren't dumping 1770 watt onto the other side that didn't exist already in the system.

This is not working similarly to watercooling where the rads dissipate the heat from the water.

Soldato
I think intel should have at least indicated what it intends to do next with the X299 platform at computex.
My suspicion is that by being silent about it intel is going to quietly discontinue socket 2066 in the coming months ahead and focus its full attention on 3647.

Hit it over the head with a shovel?

Associate
Maybe Intel should team up with MS and create an interesting variation of water cooling inspired by MS's undersea data center:

"Microsoft is testing the theory that the cold ocean depths can cut costs required to keep the data center cool."

sunk-data-center.jpg

Needs more RGB and cowbell of course!
https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-undersea-data-center

Back
Top Bottom