What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Conan the Barbarian - 5/10 (the remake)

A series of set pieces, during which things happen. No reason is ever needed for things to happen, and looking for some kind of reason (or plot) here is a fruitless venture.

I have no idea why, but lots of people were stabbed, bludgeoned, eviscerated and torn apart. I assume Conan had his reasons, as did the studio who hired the screen writers. Requiring a semblance of a plot was not one of them.

Conan likes to sneer a lot in this one. He's a bit of a dick.

Soldato
Bird Box. 9/10.
Loved it.

Completely different from your ususal start, middle and ending films. I notice a lot of American reviews are slating it because it's doesn't wrap everything up nicely.
THAT'S why I liked it so much. Very brave for them to do that these days.

Permabanned
Bird Box. 9/10.
Loved it.

Completely different from your ususal start, middle and ending films. I notice a lot of American reviews are slating it because it's doesn't wrap everything up nicely.
THAT'S why I liked it so much. Very brave for them to do that these days.

I think it's more to do with the fact that the structure and pacing are dreadful. Didn't think there was that much ambiguity in the ending either. For a horror flick made in the last 10 years, It's unashamedly broad in it's techniques and themes and largely unoriginal in anything other then it's central premise.

Ponyo

As somewhat of a film buff, I'm ashamed to admit that this is only one of two Ghibli films I've ever seen. Really loved it though. Felt like a proper kids film in the same vein as something like Flight of Dragons or The Last Unicorn. Just so lovely in every way.

Soldato
Started watching VHS Viral last night. big mistake, what the hell have they done to the franchise, the first two where half decent.

Don
Aquaman - 4/10
Worst DC film for me.

It started well enough, but went downhill from there. Music was awful and just randomly placed in fact the sound editing in general was just poor. The Black Manta fight scene made me think I was watching a 90s power rangers episode. The whole suit creation was ridiculous. The story and plot had nothing original about it at all.

Positives, Jason Momoa is likeable and Amber Heard is good to look at and the underwater CGI scenes look great.

Soldato
Bird Box - 6.5 /10

It was OK overall, the good bits were good but I agree with @DrToffnar the pacing was off, some of her monologues just didn't fit in at all, and you had to stretch credulity even more than the Quiet Place! (which you had to stretch quite a bit)

The main bit that broke it for me

How come these things quickly took over continents but were defeated by blinds on windows, why was it always automatically safe just because you were inside a building? Why couldn't they just break through a latched window or door? They obviously had a physical presence as trees and bushes were ripped aside during chase scenes

Caporegime
Bird Box - 6.5 /10

It was OK overall, the good bits were good but I agree with @DrToffnar the pacing was off, some of her monologues just didn't fit in at all, and you had to stretch credulity even more than the Quiet Place! (which you had to stretch quite a bit)

The main bit that broke it for me

How come these things quickly took over continents but were defeated by blinds on windows, why was it always automatically safe just because you were inside a building? Why couldn't they just break through a latched window or door? They obviously had a physical presence as trees and bushes were ripped aside during chase scenes

This, and so much more

Soldato
Inbetweeners - I watched it after watching the series this year and preferred the film as it was fresher, last time I watched it woolf have been disconnected from the series. Anyway cringe fun! 4/5

Soldato
First Man - 9/10. It's up there with my favourite films, but then I'm a sucker for space and films with good music. Some of the shots were amazing, especially the moon landing scene, Gosling did the role well too I thought.

Back
Top Bottom