• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
As an aside, I noticed Asrock have launched the page for thier Asrock X570 Taichi :)

The other Taichi's were often considered one of the best Ryzen boards so I'll just leave this here:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/

Thats some nice RAM OC support. It'll be interesting to see what you can get to with 4 DIMM banks loaded.

I want 32GB RAM again, but finding decent 2x16 kits for Ryzen is a pain; hopefully it's better on x570,

Soldato
B-Die is definately the best, but there is such a pricing rift now. When it was say £150 (non B-Die) to 180 (B-Die) for a 16GB kit, it made sense, but now...32GB CL16 3200 for 180 vs 350 for B-Die 3600...the price performance ratio is shot to hell.

Last edited:
Soldato
When was it debunked then? The only thing I can see is an interview with Lisa Su on a Korean tech site where she dismisses it. But of course she will dismiss it because it immediately raises eyebrows about price fixing in the graphics industry because the CEOs of competing companies are actually related.

Lisa Su's Wiki page used to say they were related (cousins) but has been recently changed to this..

Personal life
Su and her husband Dan are based in Austin, Texas. Su and Nvidia's co-founder and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang are said to be cousins, but she dismissed it as "not true."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Su#Personal_life

Soldato
B-Die is definately the best, but there is such a pricing rift now. When it was say £150 to 180 for a 16GB kit, it made sense, but now...32GB CL16 3200 for 180 vs 350 for B-Die 3600...the price performance ratio is shot to hell.

Yup! Even more so that B-Die is being discontinued, so that's likely also why prices are going mental.

I hope the IMC and motherboard support means I don't have to get B-Die to get at least 3600Mhz with decent timings. I see there are some decent 8pack Team Group kits, but the vast majority are only 2x8GB kits, and the only kit with 16GB modules is a 64GB pack, and the price of that is the CPU and motherboard combined.

Soldato
B-Die is definately the best, but there is such a pricing rift now. When it was say £150 to 180 for a 16GB kit, it made sense, but now...32GB CL16 3200 for 180 vs 350 for B-Die 3600...the price performance ratio is shot to hell.

Isnt it just better to buy 2 of these kits for £280?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

Considering..

• Premium Samsung B-dies for maximum compatibility and stability
  • Low CAS latencies of 14-14-14-31 & up to 4500 MHz guaranteed memory clocks
  • Tested and compatible with the newest Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen platforms
  • High OC potential of over 4500 MHz or underclocking for CAS10 timings possible

Edit, guess you're looking at 2x 16GB though.

Soldato
Isnt it just better to buy 2 of these kits for £280?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

Considering..

Edit, guess you're looking at 2x 16GB though.

2x 16GB is better than 4x8GB generally, as its easier on the IMC and the motherboard. Many motherboards only officially support higher 'OC' memory speeds with 2 DIMM and the second set/full use support is lower.

Yup! Even more so that B-Die is being discontinued, so that's likely also why prices are going mental.

Yes, what I suspected also, that said B-Die was NEVER cheap. It's just got worse haha
That said, I don't see it so much as B-Die prices have gone mental, just THEY'VE NOT GONE DOWN. Memory in general has gone down massively in the last 6 months, whereas B-Die has kinda stuck around it's old pricing largely, or to a higher percentage.

Soldato
The Taichi is properly solid, I'm using the x399 taichi and it's been a great board.

I had the Taichi X370 and CH6 and i have to say the only reason i kept the CH6 and sold the Taichi was that the Bios on the Taichi at the time was rubbish, it has improved massively since then i believe. Taichi will be my goto board i think for X570, they are normally in the higher end of boards but more reasonably priced than Asus / Gigabyte etc. The new X570 board does indeed look pretty nice, their Phantom Gaming board also looks good and the only real difference i can spot between the two boards is the Phantom one has 2 Ethernet, 1GB and 2.5GB. That looks to be pretty much the only difference.

Soldato
how do you know they are marginal ? can i astound you and tell you there has been massive gains for years over what you have. for games for eg cpus that can give probably double fps over what you have on your rig for last 2-3 years. i understand you want value but what kind of performance are you after. for eg i play pubg with someone daily who has your spec literally the same. in pubg its less than half of what our team get in every game. slower to load in terrible fps. some of the hardware being used isnt even top end.
Because I've watched tons of 4690k vs 9900k benchmarks. Thats how I know. On average I would say from what I have seen your looking at about 20fps (at 1080p). And thats assuming a stock 4690. Which mine certainly is not. Certainly not DOUBLE as you suggest. Also, I game at 1440p, so the gains would be even less for me. You are fooling no one suggesting you get DOUBLE the FPS going from 4th gen to 9th gen Intel. Especially at modern resolutions.

So yes, you are ever the Intel apologist. But I stand by it. Intel offered me marginal gains over the years and I wasn't tempted.
Now I am.

Associate
Do we know if new X470 motherboards are compatible with the new CPUs? I want to buy a brand new motherboard, but not a an X570 at double the price..with a fan I don't want.

Back
Top Bottom