• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

I've considered it, but sadly with Ryzen so far 2 DIMMs clock much higher, and are easier on the IMC than 4. So for instance you can get 32GB at 3600Mhz 2x16, or 4x8GB, and get 2666-2933Mhz if you're lucky with the exact same DIMMs.

At the moment I guess it's best to wait for more information to come out, and hopefully we'll get some number for RAM soon.

So far though, Team Group, and G-Skill seem to be great for Ryzen.

Wow thats a fair old drop in speed, i'll just stick with the 2x8GB kit i have for now.

On the mobo side of things, my carbon has a 2x 8pin for power but only ever used one of them after seeing Buildzoids video on the Carbon.. we'll see if i need to use both with the 12 core if i end up with that chip.

Why not just do the obvious and look on the Asus website for your mobo's Bios ?

This might save you the hassle :rolleyes: : https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

the problem with that is the bios as ever with asus is vague "Update AM4 ComboPI 0.0.7.2A for next-gen processors and to improve CPU compatibility" would like a specific answer if i can slap a 3900x in or if there could be potential issues. tried the supported cpu page and that hasnt been updated as of yet.

just guess il have to wait until someone else trys it, not like il be buying before christmas anyways :P just disappointing asus is still being crap with bios notes and general info on new stuff.

Wow thats a fair old drop in speed, i'll just stick with the 2x8GB kit i have for now.

On the mobo side of things, my carbon has a 2x 8pin for power but only ever used one of them after seeing Buildzoids video on the Carbon.. we'll see if i need to use both with the 12 core if i end up with that chip.

You might be in a nice spot then, if all you really need is a BIOS upgrade, and to plug in the other cable to take advantage of XFR boost, or if you want to overclock.

Which one are you going for?

I'll go for the 3900x and the Godlike board, see how I get on.

Probably upgrade to the 16c after that if Intel don't surprise up with a new chip to compete.

I've been eyeing up the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme + 3900X.

I'm hoping reviews get their hands on things before launch so I can change board if i need to.

@orbitalwalsh do you have anymore info about the power delivery of the sff boards?
these are what i've come up with so far.
msi aren't doing an itx board for x570?

I'll ask if there is a chance to get snap shot of VRM of the Aorus ITX, long shot asking MSI staff if i can get through

I believe the Aorus is 7+2/1 ... roughly based on their Z390 and B450 ITX boards. full vcore is to the Left, Soc is up top, Ram is underneath. Running 70amps, can get away with only 1 on SoC in theory

I know they wanted to improve slightly on z390 boards, dont this by either using higher amp units or more or change in mosfets

vid below shows they dont always place vrms logically

if Aorus and ASUS end up using the same TDA21472 70a as flagship x399/x299/z390 boards then they are the winners.. even if someone stuck 16 VRMs of a lower quality

those units should run all as a anything on the market ! price will reflect this !

PCB layer is 8 in the Aorus , same as the Xtreme - other models are 6 . Believe 6 layers was also used in B450 and Z390 Aorus ITX boards

hopefully find out ASUS and MSI vrm and PCB layers

Last edited:
The boards pricing really is all going to come down to need. If the chips don't overclock worth toffee then what is the point paying £500+ for 16 phase VRMs with massive heatsinks etc.

Indeed, and I'm wondering about the necessity of the huge power packages with the current Zen 2 line up, excluding extreme overclocking. Especially given how brilliant the CH6 8+4 (4+2) VRMs were and providing big power and the CH7 with 10+4 (5+2) which was overkill.

Last edited:
I've considered it, but sadly with Ryzen so far 2 DIMMs clock much higher, and are easier on the IMC than 4. So for instance you can get 32GB at 3600Mhz 2x16, or 4x8GB, and get 2666-2933Mhz if you're lucky with the exact same DIMMs

I don't think i've read such a load of rubbish about ram clocking in my life. From about 6 months after the release of Ryzen it was perfectly possible to clock 4x8GB:

jubjpf.jpg

When Ryzen+ was released ram clocking took another jump:

2nbx93b.jpg

I'm not the only person on this forum or indeed any forum to find it was well doable, there are probably 1000's.

HelpDesk_Download

There is a 16 core on the way, that's why.

Even then, it seems like it'd be overkill unless it's a really power hungry and has big overclocking headroom. The CH6 was overspecced really but great and they went further with the CH7 with the 10+4 (5+2), which was overkill and again, pretty damn good.

Edit: I am however, concerned that ASUS will give us the crappy change up like they did with the Z390 Maximus Hero and get rid of the doublers and change up the 400nh Inductors (200nh) and MOSFET design. Terrible design for higher load.

Last edited:
as said unless you know or see it you wont believe it. battlefield can do it for eg. pubg can. thats just two games off top of my head. there are more games. amd has basically just caught up with last tech intel. so your happy now with what they deliver ? think about it its because of the value. isnt it ? you could have had what you get now 2 years ago. so work that out. a entry level 6 core they going to announce now is basically £200 8700. you could have brought said 8700 had 2 years use of it and still be probably faster overall ingames for then and for ever vs the new 6 core.

your holding onto your i5 which is 6 years old and saying intel havent improved enough. a 8700k is easily twice maybe x3 as fast. your just after value. nothing wrong with that but dont say there isnt no improvements as there is over double maybe quadrouple over your set up.
So a 9900K is 50% faster but a 8700K is 3x faster?
Do you read what you type?

I don't think i've read such a load of rubbish about ram clocking in my life. From about 6 months after the release of Ryzen it was perfectly possible to clock 4x8GB:

When Ryzen+ was released ram clocking took another jump:

I'm not the only person on this forum or indeed any forum to find it was well doable, there are probably 1000's.
HelpDesk_Download

I'm going by what the Motherboard companies' support/Ram frequency lists show and support at AMD.com are saying though; just because 1000's can, doesn't mean all can though.
I found more forums with people having issues even getting the RAM's rated speeds of 3000-3200, than those that managed it with 4 DIMMs fully loaded.

Guess I'll continue to wait for full reviews, and breakdowns, so see how the new XMP profile support of over 4400Mhz actually plays out. Especially with samsung B-die no longer being made apparently.

One thing I'm really curious about as well is how the RAM speed and timings will influence Ryzen's overall performance. It had a decent impact on the previous generations.

I'll ask if there is a chance to get snap shot of VRM of the Aorus ITX, long shot asking MSI staff if i can get through
I believe the Aorus is 7+2/1 ... roughly based on their Z390 and B450 ITX boards. full vcore is to the Left, Soc is up top, Ram is underneath. Running 70amps, can get away with only 1 on SoC in theory
I know they wanted to improve slightly on z390 boards, dont this by either using higher amp units or more or change in mosfets
vid below shows they dont always place vrms logically
if Aorus and ASUS end up using the same TDA21472 70a as flagship x399/x299/z390 boards then they are the winners.. even if someone stuck 16 VRMs of a lower quality
those units should run all as a anything on the market ! price will reflect this !
PCB layer is 8 in the Aorus , same as the Xtreme - other models are 6 . Believe 6 layers was also used in B450 and Z390 Aorus ITX boards
hopefully find out ASUS and MSI vrm and PCB layers

i read somewhere (can't remember lol) that the aorus is 6+2 - not right?
asus impact is using TDA21472 as well. hopefully the strix is too...
if the strix is using TDA21472 70a as well, and if asus tax isn't too high...i might bite the bullet with the lack of asus rma and get it...lol.
strix seems like the one to get if it is indeed 8+2, and has the same power delivery as the impact.

shame there's not many choice for matx with only the asrock pro4, which is an entry level x570 board, really...

your holding onto your i5 which is 6 years old and saying intel havent improved enough. a 8700k is easily twice maybe x3 as fast. your just after value. nothing wrong with that but dont say there isnt no improvements as there is over double maybe quadrouple over your set up.

Sorry what? The increase from my testing of gaming from a I5 4690K vs I7 8700K showed maximum 42% FPS increase with a 1080. However the average was an increase of 26% over 10 games. That is not close to 2x performance or anything.

Edit: And i7 4790k vs i9 9900k largest increase 22% and average of a 13% increase. (my current CPU vs upgrading).

These figures are why I am probably also going to avoid this version of Zen and also to see what happens with PCIE 5.0 because that has been mentioned for a 2020 release anyways. What that means is that for a jump from a £260 chip to a £500 chip was only an average of 13% increase.

And now we can have that for £330 thanks to AMD rather than Intels £500 chip. Which means that for we are at a 26% increase in cost for 13% performance going from i7 4790k to 3700X approx which is much better than the 73% (if find it for £450) or 92% (£500 usual price) cost increase to 13% performance increase that the I9 9900K would offer me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom