**The Mental Health Thread**

Pet Northerner
Don
I'm another anxiety sufferer, mostly to do with health and very specifically my heart.

I'm not sure when it started but my guess was sometime mid 2016 - during training I became obsessed with my HR and rhythm - almost constantly checking my pulse after training and throughout the day.

Fast forward to September and after a few stressful months at work I end up with a resting HR of 170 after work one Friday, my first big panic attack. I spent 6 hours in A&E waiting for a doctor to check me over and assure me everything was ok. I then took a month off work as I was flaked out completely and I was frankly a mess. I then used the next 4 months trying to feel normal again, but my HR would keep spiking to the 140 / 150 mark - which again for the first couple of times I did (to my shame) go to A&E.

In Feb 2017, the doctor prescribed propanolol, which I took 4 a day to help keep my HR stable and my mood more relaxed. I ended up stopping all exercise and being scared of my HR going over 100 at any time, it was a crippling 13-16 from then. I gained weight, got out of shape and felt miserable. This needed to stop.

Last year I took a change at work and went to a more relaxed environment to help reduce negativity around me. The pay was a little lower, but the workload is now reasonable and the office environment is much better for me.

In the months that passed, I've only had two what I would call bad episodes - where instead of a racing pulse I get ectopic heartbeats for about a week. These came about under 2 instances of high stress. One was at the end of my probationary period and the second was when my partner lost her passport 8 days before we were due to fly. These were scarier than a racing pulse due to their unpredictable nature and I could feel each 'skipped bat' right through my chest. I did go to A&E the first time and also the doctors for various blood tests and apart from high blood pressure when I first went, everything checked out ok.

This year, so far I've had nothing particular bad in terms of panic attacks or physical responses to stress. I've ditched my Samsung phone in favor of a pixel 3, so I don;t have anything to measure my HR with. I've reduced my propanolol to the point where I can get away with not taking it for days. I do get days where I feel tense and anxious and I've been able to note these feelings and push through them. I've importantly opted against taking propanolol on these days so I've moving away from relying on a pill to feel safe (there have been times when my prescription ran out and I was almost in tears) .

I do still occasionally get ectopic heart beats when I make large changes (such as when I bought a new tv and more recently a new bbq) which I'm associating to buyers regret and the guilt I feel when I spend a lot of cash on myself. Again, I've been able to refrain from seeking medical assistance and I've taken them in my stride. People get these things and its natural to get one every now and again.

To help myself trust my own body again, I've began walking the 3.5 miles to work each day and beginning last week, walk home on alternating days (400 ft elevation is a PITA). Apart from reducing my use of pills, this has brought on such a massive positive change to me. I'm beginning to actively want to workout again and I hope in the next few weeks to gain the courage to stop walking to work and start running / jogging.

Baby steps though.

My one regret on my journey so far is that I haven't had the courage to seek proper therapy. I've tried to go alone on this and I don't know why. Well i think I do, which is that talking therapies has done nothing for my partner, who suffers from depression.

Soldato
Hope you don't mind me sharing but I'm struggling to know where to turn.

I have suffered with depression on and off for the last 15 years although it took me until 5 years ago to actually get medical help (long story but was put off by a very negative experience with a previous GP several years previously). I've been prescribed sertraline on a couple of occasions which helped in the time I was taking it and got me to a point where I felt well enough to carry on without. I also had some counselling and CBT alongside that.

Since coming off the most recent course ~8 months ago, I really don't feel myself anymore. One thing I hated about sertraline was how it just dulled the edges of everything. I never felt that bad on it but I never felt that good either. Since coming off it's just been more of the same. I am functional on the surface but just find myself 95% of the time in a state of cold indifference towards everything. I feel my home life and relationship is starting to suffer badly because of it. My partner is going through a rough time and I feel like I am constantly being loaded with more and more issues, and finding it increasingly hard to remain supportive.

In my rational moments I am present and understanding; in my irrational ones I am just left wondering if she goes looking for problems and blows them up into things that are bigger than they are, knowing full well she cannot control or change them. As my opening line alluded to, the buck basically stops with me and I increasingly feel unable to share how I currently feel with her because it will ultimately just make things worse and in turn fall on me again in time. I think I am basically conditioned at this point that regardless of how well things are going, there will be *something* that makes things bad again, and I think partly explains my reluctance to embrace/enjoy any sort of happiness.

Increasingly I just find myself wanting to disappear for a week or two just so I can collect my own thoughts. I also wrestle constantly with whether I am being a selfish ******** for feeling like this.

That was it, just wanted to share. Not expecting any answers.

Soldato
I'm another anxiety sufferer, mostly to do with health and very specifically my heart.

I'm not sure when it started but my guess was sometime mid 2016 - during training I became obsessed with my HR and rhythm - almost constantly checking my pulse after training and throughout the day.

Fast forward to September and after a few stressful months at work I end up with a resting HR of 170 after work one Friday, my first big panic attack. I spent 6 hours in A&E waiting for a doctor to check me over and assure me everything was ok. I then took a month off work as I was flaked out completely and I was frankly a mess. I then used the next 4 months trying to feel normal again, but my HR would keep spiking to the 140 / 150 mark - which again for the first couple of times I did (to my shame) go to A&E.

In Feb 2017, the doctor prescribed propanolol, which I took 4 a day to help keep my HR stable and my mood more relaxed. I ended up stopping all exercise and being scared of my HR going over 100 at any time, it was a crippling 13-16 from then. I gained weight, got out of shape and felt miserable. This needed to stop.

Last year I took a change at work and went to a more relaxed environment to help reduce negativity around me. The pay was a little lower, but the workload is now reasonable and the office environment is much better for me.

In the months that passed, I've only had two what I would call bad episodes - where instead of a racing pulse I get ectopic heartbeats for about a week. These came about under 2 instances of high stress. One was at the end of my probationary period and the second was when my partner lost her passport 8 days before we were due to fly. These were scarier than a racing pulse due to their unpredictable nature and I could feel each 'skipped bat' right through my chest. I did go to A&E the first time and also the doctors for various blood tests and apart from high blood pressure when I first went, everything checked out ok.

This year, so far I've had nothing particular bad in terms of panic attacks or physical responses to stress. I've ditched my Samsung phone in favor of a pixel 3, so I don;t have anything to measure my HR with. I've reduced my propanolol to the point where I can get away with not taking it for days. I do get days where I feel tense and anxious and I've been able to note these feelings and push through them. I've importantly opted against taking propanolol on these days so I've moving away from relying on a pill to feel safe (there have been times when my prescription ran out and I was almost in tears) .

I do still occasionally get ectopic heart beats when I make large changes (such as when I bought a new tv and more recently a new bbq) which I'm associating to buyers regret and the guilt I feel when I spend a lot of cash on myself. Again, I've been able to refrain from seeking medical assistance and I've taken them in my stride. People get these things and its natural to get one every now and again.

To help myself trust my own body again, I've began walking the 3.5 miles to work each day and beginning last week, walk home on alternating days (400 ft elevation is a PITA). Apart from reducing my use of pills, this has brought on such a massive positive change to me. I'm beginning to actively want to workout again and I hope in the next few weeks to gain the courage to stop walking to work and start running / jogging.

Baby steps though.

My one regret on my journey so far is that I haven't had the courage to seek proper therapy. I've tried to go alone on this and I don't know why. Well i think I do, which is that talking therapies has done nothing for my partner, who suffers from depression.

I haven't got anything to add to your heart situation as it sounds like you are doing well with it now. :) What i did want to add is that with regards to therapy it is extremely important or at least it was to me that you 'click' with your therapist. I've seen 3 now and one just felt like chatting to someone once a week without any real direction(Referral), one was really good(Referral from a work scheme) and the one i went to see private rather than via NHS was the best. (I'm not saying the NHS ones/referred ones aren't good but i guess if they are good enough to go the private route then they must know their stuff as people wouldn't pay for it otherwise?!)

Associate

Baby steps though.

That post could have been written by me!

Suffered from panic attacks for about 15 years without ever realising what was going on until maybe 3 years ago.

I go through spells of being 'cured' to being hugely restricted in terms of what I do and where I go because I fear another attack.

I ran 20-25 miles every week until I had an attack mid run and my watch alarm was going off because my HR was so high. The actual attack only lasted a couple of mins but I was convinced I was a goner. It stopped me from exercising completely.

Only now have I decided to take steps to get me back to walking and mild exercise to help face my fear. For the last few months I'm having attacks weekly and it's just ******* me off so much now.

I've been extremely fit and extremely unfit in a Yoyo effect over the past 9 years because of panic and anxiety.

Crazy that a defense mechanism that we really no longer use can cause so much trouble for people.

Associate
This is the worst thing about it in my opinion, the other elements of it are somewhat easy to mask but the above can really take its toll on your career and relationships. It's not easy to get stuff done when your mind can't even formulate basic stuff.

I agree. I'm in the same position. I have so many ideas and plans for improving my situation but when you are so tired all of the time and can't concentrate on anything for an extended period of time it really hampers your recovery.

I've had it on and off but it's crippling me this time. I'm not even that anxious or depressed, I just feel dead! I've got good stuff going on but it feels like I can't even drive to work right now.

It's taking it toll on my career and 0 energy to go on the dates I've arranged. Although that being said when I've spent time with someone lately I've perked up a bit, same with climbing it seems to remove the brain fog/fatigue.

Soldato
Hope you don't mind me sharing but I'm struggling to know where to turn.

I have suffered with depression on and off for the last 15 years although it took me until 5 years ago to actually get medical help (long story but was put off by a very negative experience with a previous GP several years previously). I've been prescribed sertraline on a couple of occasions which helped in the time I was taking it and got me to a point where I felt well enough to carry on without. I also had some counselling and CBT alongside that.

Since coming off the most recent course ~8 months ago, I really don't feel myself anymore. One thing I hated about sertraline was how it just dulled the edges of everything. I never felt that bad on it but I never felt that good either. Since coming off it's just been more of the same. I am functional on the surface but just find myself 95% of the time in a state of cold indifference towards everything. I feel my home life and relationship is starting to suffer badly because of it. My partner is going through a rough time and I feel like I am constantly being loaded with more and more issues, and finding it increasingly hard to remain supportive.

In my rational moments I am present and understanding; in my irrational ones I am just left wondering if she goes looking for problems and blows them up into things that are bigger than they are, knowing full well she cannot control or change them. As my opening line alluded to, the buck basically stops with me and I increasingly feel unable to share how I currently feel with her because it will ultimately just make things worse and in turn fall on me again in time. I think I am basically conditioned at this point that regardless of how well things are going, there will be *something* that makes things bad again, and I think partly explains my reluctance to embrace/enjoy any sort of happiness.

Increasingly I just find myself wanting to disappear for a week or two just so I can collect my own thoughts. I also wrestle constantly with whether I am being a selfish ******** for feeling like this.

That was it, just wanted to share. Not expecting any answers.

I'll respond from my own expereinces.

I was on Sertraline for a short time, I really didn't like it. Made me aggressive and while on it I very nearly took my own life. Having read up on it since suicides on the drug are high and as you say, there's lots of reports of dullness or being a zombie and it taking a long time to return to normal once you come off them. I decided to not touch it again.

I'm all for therapy but I think lifestyle changes are one of the biggest things we can, especially with relationships. I am a lot more open with my wife about how I am mentally, thought processes, self-harm etc. We argue less because of it and although it's hard for her to fully understand why I think what I think at times she knows that it's not the logical real me, it's my borderline emotional side being irrational or stupid. We actively make time to talk about each of our issues at work or in life and more importantly, so we don't feel overwhelmed and powerless we make plans on how to deal with our issues. As you say, sometimes we all focus on things we can't control or change, but it's learning to accept them. Remember, she's not perfect just like we aren't, we're all learning to adult. When you're feeling like she's being ott decide if it's you or her and talk to her about it, she may get a bit pissy with you but hopefully, you can talk.

If you're struggling to communicate, have you considered writing things down, it helps me greatly, and letters are a great way of talking back and forth, it gives you time to plan what you want to say, and gives you time to rewrite it so you can't mess it up, it also gives them time to absorb what you've said and respond without overreacting.

As for disappearing to collect your thoughts, no, it's not selfish but your partner may be feeling the same. We take a week now and then and go yurting with the kids. No electricity, no internet, no phones, no social media. Just the important things in life and it makes a massive difference to the mood of the whole family.

I'd suggest you start writing, open a notepad file and just start typing away, it'll help you organise your thoughts and feelings and it gives you something to vent too without the risk of comeback. Book a little getaway somewhere as well, somewhere remote and technology free :)

Just remember, you're right, there's always going to be something that makes it bad but on the other side of that, there's something good again. We focus on the bad and have a "what's the point of looking forward to something because it'll only end up ****!" approach to life and in reality, we are responsible for making that come true.

Soldato
I've never been in this thread before so I apologise if this not the right place but I'm currently at work and we've all just been taken into a meeting room by management. Unfortunately a colleague who works evenings took his own life last night, he was in the office yesterday, I saw him arrive as I was leaving. Shocked is an understatement, I never got to know him, he only started about 3 months ago and with me working days and him evenings our paths never really crossed.

The whole team is shocked and understandably quiet. Please get help if you feel you need it.

Soldato
@MOOGLEYS hang on it there and hopefully the Mindfulness course will be available for you soon. Sadly I had to wait for quite a while for mine. Try and ensure that it is mindfulness based cognitive therapy and not "just" CBT. Good luck on seeing the docs and any potential medication to help you through this.

Soldato
I've never been in this thread before so I apologise if this not the right place but I'm currently at work and we've all just been taken into a meeting room by management. Unfortunately a colleague who works evenings took his own life last night, he was in the office yesterday, I saw him arrive as I was leaving. Shocked is an understatement, I never got to know him, he only started about 3 months ago and with me working days and him evenings our paths never really crossed.

The whole team is shocked and understandably quiet. Please get help if you feel you need it.
We lost a colleague in similar circumstance a few months after I started my current job. The impact in the whole workforce was massive. HR provided counselling sessions. They were covered by our health insurance scheme, but they specifically booked a room outside the main office where you could book a session.

The only positive thing I can say is that it kicked the entire team into being more aware of self care and mental health. We've built in extra trainings and tried to improve our culture. I hope your company has similarly stepped up to support its staff, and if not, it might be worth suggesting something.

Soldato

That's awful. I hope you and your colleagues are all OK. I'm lucky enough to have never had that happen but a friend of mine had someone take their own life at work in front of everyone a few years back.

We all go through dark moments I think. About 18 months ago I was probably at my lowest point I ever felt and I've always had a reputation with my friends as the jokey one who makes light of everything and I never have drama. But because of that being how people perceived me I never wanted to talk to people about what made me feel down. Breaking point for me was when I actually went to a bridge one night and just stood there. I knew I wouldn't do anything but when I started having those thoughts I knew something was up.

I ended up going to my friends house a few days later as she was annoyed with me being a hermit having not seen anyone for weeks. Got to her house saw her and her husband and literally just burst into tears and it all came out. I had them berate me for not talking to them sooner and told me I was stupid to never share what was wrong with me at the time. I learnt a valuable lesson that night. Talking helps so much. Just talk to anyone. You may think you don't want to bring your friends down with a negative mood but it just helps talking at someone. They may not even say anything but getting it off my chest felt like a weight had been lifted that I just felt so used to dealing with.

Talk to anyone. Friends, family, even just rant on here to any of us. I always thought it was nonsense but talking really works a world of wonders.

Soldato
@MOOGLEYS hang on it there and hopefully the Mindfulness course will be available for you soon. Sadly I had to wait for quite a while for mine. Try and ensure that it is mindfulness based cognitive therapy and not "just" CBT. Good luck on seeing the docs and any potential medication to help you through this.

Thanks mate. I’m getting a call next Wednesday to arrange the Mindfulness. I think from what they said in my initial call it’s a mixture of both mindfulness and CBT tailored to my needs. I have been put on 10mg Escitalopram again which I know has helped before so hopefully it will again. The startup side effects are a bit of a pain but hopefully worth battling through.

Cheers....

Soldato
I'm not sure if this falls under mental health, relationships, or both. I had a rather odd experience the other day. For the first time in memory, I felt completely lonely. It was an awful feeling, from which I'm still experiencing some residual negative emotions.

I broke up with my ex 18 months ago, a few weeks before we were due to be married. At the time I was upset, but got over it through a combination of focussing on work, swimming and hammering Tinder....It worked, at least for a while. More recently though, I've found myself ruminating on just how empty my life feels. My social life is very limited; my old "friends" are all married, and seemingly want nothing to do with me now I'm single. I've moved back in with my parents, but they spend the vast majority of the year travelling, so outside of work I find myself pottering around a big old house with little meaningful social interaction outside. This is compounded by the fact that I seem to have lost my ability to make new friends; my comfort zone was always my ex and our mutual friends and, perhaps in what could be construed to be arrogance on my part, I never thought I'd need to make strides to build new friendships; least not as a now single man on the wrong side of 30.

Anyway. Just thought I'd get that off my chest. Sorry for the rant.

Soldato
Never be sorry for a rant, it's good to get things off your chest.

I know it's cliche, but a hobby is a fantastic way to make new friends when you're getting older.
I recently (a year ago) started Brazilian jujitsu, it's a great combination of exercise and social interaction.

I consider almost all my class good friends now, and everyone seems to invite people to things even though we've got a range of ages from 16->60.

Just pulled myself into this thread because I was going over feelings of the pointlessness of life, started to feel like I was 'floating beside myself' and my body wasn't my own..... A very strange disassociation feeling.
Now I'm just sitting at my desk at work feeling like I might cry.....

Just thought it'd be a good idea to type it down I suppose.

Associate

I know it's cliche, but a hobby is a fantastic way to make new friends when you're getting older.
I recently (a year ago) started Brazilian jujitsu, it's a great combination of exercise and social interaction.

I consider almost all my class good friends now, and everyone seems to invite people to things even though we've got a range of ages from 16->60.

Just pulled myself into this thread because I was going over feelings of the pointlessness of life, started to feel like I was 'floating beside myself' and my body wasn't my own..... A very strange disassociation feeling.

I have suffered the disassociation unrealisation feeling since I was 13 years old, it's not nice at all I know where your coming from, been down and depressed will bring it on, cry it out my man you will feel better for it.

Typing it out is a great way of communicating it with others wish I had the option as a child

Hope your feel better

Caporegime
I'm not sure if this falls under mental health, relationships, or both. I had a rather odd experience the other day. For the first time in memory, I felt completely lonely. It was an awful feeling, from which I'm still experiencing some residual negative emotions.

I broke up with my ex 18 months ago, a few weeks before we were due to be married. At the time I was upset, but got over it through a combination of focussing on work, swimming and hammering Tinder....It worked, at least for a while. More recently though, I've found myself ruminating on just how empty my life feels. My social life is very limited; my old "friends" are all married, and seemingly want nothing to do with me now I'm single. I've moved back in with my parents, but they spend the vast majority of the year travelling, so outside of work I find myself pottering around a big old house with little meaningful social interaction outside. This is compounded by the fact that I seem to have lost my ability to make new friends; my comfort zone was always my ex and our mutual friends and, perhaps in what could be construed to be arrogance on my part, I never thought I'd need to make strides to build new friendships; least not as a now single man on the wrong side of 30.

Does that house you live in have a garden?

Soldato

Cheers. I've been looking at doing more swimming, so might get that sorted. Might be a bit lacking on the social side, but I suppose it gets me out more

Does that house you live in have a garden?

Yep

Caporegime

I was suffering massively with depression and anxiety for a number of years...I was feeling my life to was pointless...or lacked any real meaning....This struggle was clearly effecting my Mental Health....I was well paid....Had no financial worries...but was so bored and empty...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/driving-to-work-i-had-a-nihilistic-moment.18713600/

I remember one night there was a huge storm...I woke up to find one of the Apple trees in the garden had been blown down....I offerd my neighbour it...He could chop it up with a chainsaw and have the wood for his log burner...This lead to him digging me a pond,,,

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-pond-discussion-thread.18792638/

If i'm honest this pond over the past two years has saved, repaired and therapeutically brought me back to life.....Its been an incredible journey....I have met loads of people....whilst building it....Going to my local Quarry saw me meet school friends I haven't seen for 25 years....who helped me with the huge boulders...

The satisfaction of creating something, The wildlife, The watching and planting flowers and plants grow...The pond going to sleep in winter....The noise of the waterfalls ( currently 12) is all therapy....learning about nature...seeing and watching newts and frogs and ducks and all sorts of things use it...

I finish work at 4pm...I get home and tinker about the pond....At weekends I chill out by the pond...Have BBQs by the pond.....Play guitar by the pond...

Tonight I planted some Dwarf bulrush (typha minima) :p

The pond is crystal clear....why? Because I look after it....

Its made me fitter physically, mentally and when lost in certain tasks like a meditation....

Pond Therapy....I highly recommend it :D

Soldato
Makes me really want a Pond! Awesome

Great thread, I think its becoming so much more obvious to people that mental health affects us all, either directly or indirectly. I dont have much to add other than I think its so great to see people sharing their thoughts openly as this alone is a step and it can be comforting and motivating to share it with others, some who are in a similar place.

Associate
Everything has been getting the better of me lately, bad anxiety and depression, over eating. I have been making progress though I started going to my local makerspace and generally keeping off the devices and living in the moment.

I decided last week I just needed to get away, so going on a short break away today. Going to try writing things down to get it out and then throw it in the bin as I leave to come home, a physical way for me to move forward.

Soldato
I have schizophrenia, but I would say my main problems are anxiety and (to a lesser extent) depression. I haven't worked in 10 years because of my mental health, which makes me feel pretty bad about myself, and it doesn't help that being at home makes me anxious for various reasons. I'm doing CBT at the moment, and I hope it will help in the long run, but in the short term I have no idea how to get myself out of this mess. I'm starting an Open University course in October, which I hope I will be ready for. I guess all you can do in these situations is to try and stay positive that things will be all right in the end.

I'd love to move away to the country where no one is around, and I can live my life in peace and be on my own.

Back
Top Bottom