• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Next time,don't try and comment on my usage of English if both of you make your own mistakes.

I don't even recall you making a mistake.

I do hope the doubling of L3 cache helps in some of the more latency intensive games though. If there are nice improvements in those subset of games,that would erode one of the traditional holdouts for Intel CPUs.

This seems to be the type of game which Ryzen suffers the most in.

Soldato
I don't even recall you making a mistake.

Shrugs,I just find it ironic they are worrying about whether I use one word correctly or incorrectly,but apparently don't seem to have the same care with their own posts! Plus they are on a forum frequented by people from all-over the world.
Its like with how people pronounce the letter "h",ie,the phonetic variant,or the earlier way. For instance if you go abroad people or talk to people who are older they tend to pronouce it the earlier way. Also the pronounciation of the world "garage" which can be "gah-raj" or "ga-ridge",and again the older variant of pronounciation is the first one and this is far more common worldwide in many regions or spoken by older people.

Plus its a forum,people can use phones and then you have auto-correct which can do its own stupid thing.

This seems to be the type of game which Ryzen suffers the most in.

Yes,and when I did my review of the Ryzen 5 2600 I tested modded Fallout 4 as a worse case scenario:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/cats-mini-itx-ryzen-5-review.18833557/

So my Ryzen 5 2600 was definitely better than an Ivy Bridge Core i7 clock for clock,so I would say Haswell level. Now another 20% to 30% in that game would make it very close to CFL:
https://cdn.sweclockers.com/artikel/diagram/14687?key=09ecc77da6d620128ae74cbb1b51940b

Soldato
Will the 3900x slot straight into the MSI x470 gaming?

I would wait for reviews - my main worry is peak VRM load of the Ryzen 9 at peak boost. Technically the Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 9 3900X are the same TDP classes,so should be similar in terms of cooling and probably power consumption. However,looking at how the X570 motherboards are built,it could be a harder beast to run.

Soldato
Will the 3900x slot straight into the MSI x470 gaming?
Have to wait reviews for power draw in various loads, but at least even X470 Gaming Plus has better VRM than that crap in half the Asus/Gigabyte boards.

Of course you need to have current supported CPU to flash BIOS, or have someone flash BIOS, because Gaming M7 it doesn't have BIOS flashback.

Associate
The way things are looking, I will be jumping into a 3000 series CPU from a 2500k.

Question for the people who have a Ryzen CPU, who are best for motherboards? I'll be avoiding ASUS like the plague due to their rubbish RMA, which manufacturers should I be looking at?

The way things are looking, I will be jumping into a 3000 series CPU from a 2500k.

Question for the people who have a Ryzen CPU, who are best for motherboards? I'll be avoiding ASUS like the plague due to their rubbish RMA, which manufacturers should I be looking at?

I have an Asus Strix 470 gaming-F and its been stellar, VRMs are made of stone and really cool, i understand their rma is a bit pants but i think they make decent boards. If it came to money isnt an issue then i think ASRock make amazing boards if a little pricey.

Caporegime
I have an Asus Strix 470 gaming-F and its been stellar, VRMs are made of stone and really cool, i understand their rma is a bit pants but i think they make decent boards. If it came to money isnt an issue then i think ASRock make amazing boards if a little pricey.
My last board was a Z68 AS Rock. Been using it since 2011 and never skipped a beat. Great board.

Soldato
Have to wait reviews for power draw in various loads, but at least even X470 Gaming Plus has better VRM than that crap in half the Asus/Gigabyte boards.

Of course you need to have current supported CPU to flash BIOS, or have someone flash BIOS, because Gaming M7 it doesn't have BIOS flashback.
I have that board with a 2700x currently so that's not a concern.

I had plans for the Godlike but at £770 I just can't justify that price.

Soldato

Depends on what motherboards you'll be looking at.
Out from current half of Asus and Gigabyte boards have pretty much garbage VRM good for only 65W TDP CPUs and you need to pay lot to get proper modern VRM.
(like that Asus X470-F Strix, which has step below top level VRM)
MSI has at least decent VRMs in most of their B450/X470 mobos.

Though from available information X570 mobos seem to have overall way better VRMs.
But pricing is still open and how well that chipset can idle, because it has really high 15W max consumption and needs chipset fan.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
if you can hold off a few weeks or so do so, then see what people actually get with the garbage vrm's. i wouldnt be surprised if its better than a few are expecting.

Associate
Coming from a 2500k myself so looking closelly at motherboards. Buildzoid has been doing some verry good previews on X570 boards. All he has looked at so far have good vrm's even the (cougth,cougth) cheeper ones!!

Associate
Though from available information X570 mobos seem to have overall way better VRMs.
But pricing is still open and how well that chipset can idle, because it has really high 15W max consumption and needs chipset fan.

If I recall correctly, most of that heat would be from NVMe drive usage. So if you're not doing anything, then idle power shouldn't be drastically dissimilar to an X470.

Associate
Depends on what motherboards you'll be looking at.
Out from current half of Asus and Gigabyte boards have pretty much garbage VRM good for only 65W TDP CPUs

This seems a bit unlikely. If a board was sold as supporting all of the Ryzen series but only actually worked with the low end chips surely they'd be inundated with returns. From the reviews I've seen of the low end boards they all seem to be able to handle the 2700X and even cope with a modest overclock. I'm sure they're not capable of being pushed as hard as high end boards, but merely adequate is perhaps a better description than garbage.

Associate
Buildzoid has been doing some verry good previews on X570 boards. All he has looked at so far have good vrm's even the (cougth,cougth) cheeper ones!!

Yep, it's all about final UK pricing now.

Oh, and that damn fan! :D

(BTW: Hope "damn" isn't seen as an Americanism - having just caught up with the last ten pages of this thread.. :))

Back
Top Bottom