BMW i8

Soldato
That was far too funny to let it pass by :p:p:p

the corrections are not exactly right either ha, theres a mix conception on what is the correct grammar, on the computer you can type *realise* and it be correct, on a phone or mobile device it can flag it as incorrect and *realize* being the correct spelling, so will automatically select it, same with *your* & *you're*.

anyways the fact you understand what is being said shouldnt mean you need to correct the person who typed it, meant the same thing afterall.

Soldato
It seems a bit odd to me to buy an i8 and not charge it.

Using the engine to charge the car means you are charging the battery off expensive dinosaur juice instead of cheap electricity.

Tests have also shown the car is slower because the car doesn’t have all the power available. The ICE is only 230bhp on its own. The motor is 130hp and there will be huge losses using the ICE as a generator. The fuel tank is also tiny (42L) if using it as ICE only.

Intentionally making the car slower and more expensive to run is bizarre, just buy an ICE car...

Soldato
Above comments are not valid. When using the car to charge it feels much quicker and more fun which is why unless I’m sitting in traffic it’s always in sports mode which charges the battery.

It’s not a super bad but it feels very quick, it’s just for effortless usable power.

I do plug it in now and get 60 to 70 mpg on my 60 mile drive to work if I don’t leave it in sports mode.

Man of Honour
I do love the i8. Just ordered the mini countryman which has same system with less highly tuned engine obv (electric motors on rear and petrol on front which I think is opposite way around to i8). On test drive I found the system to be very seamless. Appreciate it is no i8 performance wise but felt nippy in sport mode and quite engaging to drive. The tech works great.

Soldato
How is it not valid?

If the battery is flat you will lose 130hp from the front wheels.

If you use the engine as a generator it uses considerably more fuel. The engine is charging the batteries when a normal car will be idle. The energy isn’t free, it’s at the cost of increased fuel burn from its tiny fuel tank.

It feels more fun in traffic because the car is set to maximum power/throttle response.

If you are pottering around in traffic the generator will be able to keep up with the power draw.

But if you ‘hammer it’ for any length of time with low battery it will not be able to keep up and you’ll be down to engine only fairly quickly.

As I said if you buy an i8 and don’t bother charging it you are better off buying a normal ICE. Just charging it from the engine completely defeats the point of the hybrid system.

Soldato
Because that’s just not how the car works.

When you drive the car hard (In sports mode) that’s when it charges the battery. If your sitting in traffic in spots mode it does not really charge the battery.

Yes the battery can go completely flat so that you can’t drive around in all
Electric mode but some how it manages it so that it does not go flat for the extra bit of low down power when you need it.

At the end of the day ideally it’s nicer to plug it in but even if you can’t its still worth owning. Let’s face it, you don’t but a £50 to £100k car to save £1k a year in fuel.

I know on paper it does not make sense but ask any owner and they only have good things to say.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Even the lease deals are dropping:

48 months, 10k miles = £855pm
48/60 months, unlimited miles = £1.2k/£1kpm
[no deposit]

(still a mortgage though)

Soldato
It seems a bit odd to me to buy an i8 and not charge it.

Indeed. Mine had to live off chargers for several extended periods and, simply commuting back and forth to work (most motorways) it averaged about 35mpg (calculated, not OBC figures).

That was a pretty consistent figure throughout its lifespan, in any case – the battery would be expended pretty quickly, as mine (at best) would only serve up an indicated 13-mile range. This was the older car, mind.

If my memory serves me correctly, though, you could charge it back up to that same level in Sport mode. Used to take about 40 minutes on the motorway to do so; I only remember that as I wrote about it once.

Soldato
How is it not valid?

If the battery is flat you will lose 130hp from the front wheels.

If you use the engine as a generator it uses considerably more fuel. The engine is charging the batteries when a normal car will be idle. The energy isn’t free, it’s at the cost of increased fuel burn from its tiny fuel tank.

It feels more fun in traffic because the car is set to maximum power/throttle response.

If you are pottering around in traffic the generator will be able to keep up with the power draw.

But if you ‘hammer it’ for any length of time with low battery it will not be able to keep up and you’ll be down to engine only fairly quickly.

As I said if you buy an i8 and don’t bother charging it you are better off buying a normal ICE. Just charging it from the engine completely defeats the point of the hybrid system.

Okay and you drove one?...

Even the Ampera doesn’t operate as you describe. Generally the car will have a low end buffer amount to give a good period of acceleration it will soon recover. Don’t think of a battery like a fuel tank.

After all, it’s a self charging hybrid.

Associate
if you're looking at 60k ones whats the battery situation on them, warranty, replacements etc? I would love one as I love the look of them but I bought a M6 V10 instead for long term keeps :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Smart answer is to spend half that on an appreciating V10, an investment in the last of a breed whilst still possible.

Something like this but better spec, lower mileage etc.
utCS55g.jpg

I'd love to throw an E61 M5 in a shed for retirement.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now that bmw have shifted most of the stock prices are climbing a little.

you can still get a decent one for £45k which in my view is a bargain.

This about sums it up.
Alright so first let me start by saying I went from a heavily modded M6 to a stock i8. Also I work at BMW and was an avid i8 hater just because the power-price ratio didn't make sense and I liked seeing big HP numbers and lot of noise and it just wasn't what I or people with similar thinking wanted it to be.

I WAS WRONG.

First off its a full carbon tub, the perfect blend of structural integrity mixed with a light weight ride. That right there is a lot of the original price point. Think about how much spoilers cost nowadays, make that a major portion of the car. 367hp is not fast when your driving 4400lbs M6 but its a lot of fun when your driving 3200lbs paper plane. The balance of the electric motor on the front wheels and the petrol engine over the rear allows for amazing handling, yes the steering is soft, lacks feedback but you can corner at Porsche standards. All wheel drive gets you going no matter the weather even on narrow tires which add to your fuel efficiency. The instant torque is always great, especially if your a city driver, its like your in a go kart. Styling I mean come on; the Exterior is different, good looking and doesn't look like BMW tried to make a ferrari or lambo; but rather went their own way while using aggressive lines that we associate with exotics. The doors is an obvious gimmick but works great with concept style body of the car. Fuel efficiency is unreal, I mean its a 40 liter tank and small distances can be electric only. Interior is simple but that is the trend in the current EV market so even if its not what you want, its not dated by any means. The ambient lighting is striking as the led strips on the door are wide. Color choices are meh but the blue looks great and you can code it so no harm no foul.
It was a showpiece for BMW, a hey look what we can do. Its quick, reliable and has the wow factor in looks. As far as used cars go, right now. It is not a bad buy, by any means. Its a car that excels in many areas, the major hate comes from it not being the same as everything else (loud, fast and obnoxious), they took a risk and based on today's market it seems worth it.

Basically the car is cheap to run, it’s good on fuel, service cost is low, insurance is not bad, seems to be reliable. Feels very fast even if it’s not that fast in paper.

Back
Top Bottom