• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FidelityFX And Radeon Image Sharpening Tested vs DLSS

Soldato
OP
Where are you getting 4k from? AMD doesn't say anything about scaling on the website and even the review stated the screenshots were taken at 1080p..

Not only that but they were taken on an nVidia card so none of those so called 'driver side scaling tweaks' would apply here anyway ...

Sorry you confusing FidelityFX what is a GPUOpen engine version of Radeon image sharpening.

RIS is a driver toggle, FidelityFX is a game by game feature.

Both quite similar.

Soldato
Where are you getting 4k from? AMD doesn't say anything about scaling on the website and even the review stated the screenshots were taken at 1080p..

Not only that but they were taken on an nVidia card so none of those so called 'driver side scaling tweaks' would apply here anyway ...

He's not talking about Fidelity FX which is what is in the screen shots. He's talking about RIS(Radeon Image Sharpening).

Soldato
Hmm, some might have something similar to RIS on their Monitor.
Some call it super resolution, others call it something else. It really does work if you have a VESA certified Display Port or HDMI cable. If you have a cheap cable it might look horrible. As if you are applying sharpening.

Soldato
Hmm, some might have something similar to RIS on their Monitor.
Some call it super resolution, others call it something else. It really does work if you have a VESA certified Display Port or HDMI cable. If you have a cheap cable it might look horrible. As if you are applying sharpening.

This ain't super resolution. Nvidia and AMD both have super resolution. Nvidia call it DSR and AMD VSR. If you use super resolution on a 1080p screen and set 4k resolution for games your fps will be as low as running actual 4k. What RIS does is let you run say at 1440p and adds the sharpening to make the image look like 4k while still keeping the 1440p performance. It looks like it does a decent job although not as good as 4k close enough when the game is in motion.

Soldato
This ain't super resolution. Nvidia and AMD both have super resolution. Nvidia call it DSR and AMD VSR. If you use super resolution on a 1080p screen and set 4k resolution for games your fps will be as low as running actual 4k. What RIS does is let you run say at 1440p and adds the sharpening to make the image look like 4k while still keeping the 1440p performance. It looks like it does a decent job although not as good as 4k close enough when the game is in motion.
No, on monitors it's no down/up scaling of the screen resolution. You are talking about GPUs.

It's something else. It brings out fine line and other images making them stand out more without denoising the rest of the screen

Soldato
OP
No, on monitors it's no down/up screen resolution. You are talking about GPUs.

It's something else. It brings out fine line and other images making them stand out more without denoising the rest of the screen

That is just a normal sharpening filter. My TV and BenQ monitors have this also, it creates an unwanted halo effect. See Link

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-down-your-tv-sharpness-control/

RIS is different, has it adjusts the sharpness based on contrast on the fly. Enhancing details while not creating unwanted effects like the halo effect.

We still need to see a full review break down to really get an understanding of how good RIS is and its downsides as am sure like DLSS they will be downsides.

I would love to try RIS on Squad.

Soldato
No, on monitors it's no down/up scaling of the screen resolution. You are talking about GPUs.

"super resolution" is an upscaling function on LG monitors. If your computer or whatever is outputting 1080p you should turn "super resolution" off. If "normal" looks blurry that means you're probably not outputting 1080p or your house is built on an ancient burial ground and the demons are trying to steal your soul"

This is what you are talking about i think.

Soldato
That is just a normal sharpening filter. My TV and BenQ monitors have this also, it creates an unwanted halo effect. See Link

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-down-your-tv-sharpness-control/

RIS is different, has it adjusts the sharpness based on contrast on the fly. Enhancing details while not creating unwanted effects like the halo effect.

We still need to see a full review break down to really get an understanding of how good RIS is and its downsides as am sure like DLSS they will be downsides.

I would love to try RIS on Squad.

Ah no, that's not it either.

Hmm, this might be something new as it appears to not be commonly known.

Super Resolution Sharpen the low resolution images.

Sharpness Adjust the sharpness of the image.

SR only effects subtle objects. For example it can make icons on your desktop look bolder. It can make lines on the wall in a game more defined. It only seems to target "low res images" and seems to do a good job at it.
On the other hand Sharpness is more of a global setting. It doesn't make icons look bolder it makes it more pronounce and "eye piercingly" noticeable. For lack of a better explanation. It also makes the whole screen look like crap!

Soldato
Psychologically I just can't get passed the idea that you can somehow magic back the detail lost from 4k to 1440p.

Nvidia has thrown a massive amount of hardware at it, and it still doesn't cut it. Turns out you might as well use that hardware to render at a higher resolution to begin with.

Call it improving picture quality at 1440p or very clever AA, but don't pretend you are getting higher resolutions.

Permabanned
Psychologically I just can't get passed the idea that you can somehow magic back the detail lost from 4k to 1440p.

Nvidia has thrown a massive amount of hardware at it, and it still doesn't cut it. Turns out you might as well use that hardware to render at a higher resolution to begin with.

Call it improving picture quality at 1440p or very clever AA, but don't pretend you are getting higher resolutions.
Not sure what has changed, the last time I checked out VSR was on R9 290. With my VEGA 64 I can do 4k at 120hz and 5k at 60hz
Not sure if Navi can do better.

59373036d3eb27148c59a544dfab02a3d108449a339cf82f0b67952b7dc4943f2d267298.jpg

They never announced anything i knew 5k was 60hz limited and 4k was as well. This is typical AMD though had they said hey look fellas weve now got unlimited VSR and no fps caps i might of had Navi on my shopping list.

I highly highly doubt Navi will allow 4k from 1080p at unlimited framerates. But i am not gonna take the chance i am utterly dependant on going from 1080p to 4k without the feature, No games for me as 1440p etc and all the other stop gaps would never compete with 4k 144hz or 4k 240hz.

They could pull the finger out and update the VSR spec sheet, But they will not so i never really look at them anymore hardware wise, But the sharpening algorithm would have been really useful to me i think.

Back
Top Bottom