****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Caporegime
Anakin tells Rey, “bring back the balance as I did.” Just because the prophecy was fulfilled doesn’t mean the Sith can’t return?

It can return but keeping Snoke as the main bad guy would have been a better bet than bringing back Palpatine. Or possibly have someone other than Palpatine behind Snoke pulling the strings, they had a lot of options in that respect but just played it safe with a return that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Apparently Palpy has spent the last 35 years hooked up to an Ironing board on an arm with tubes lodged up every orifice keeping him alive. :eek:

Caporegime
It can return but keeping Snoke as the main bad guy would have been a better bet than bringing back Palpatine. Or possibly have someone other than Palpatine behind Snoke pulling the strings, they had a lot of options in that respect but just played it safe with a return that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Apparently Palpy has spent the last 35 years hooked up to an Ironing board on an arm with tubes lodged up every orifice keeping him alive. :eek:

I think originally Smoke was meant to be the new bad guy but Abrams had no choice but to bring back Palpatine. Gotta hand it to Palpatine to fall into a death stars core. Be inside the death Star when it explodes into smithereens and still manage not be meaty chunks is quite an achievement.

Caporegime
I think originally Smoke was meant to be the new bad guy but Abrams had no choice but to bring back Palpatine. Gotta hand it to Palpatine to fall into a death stars core. Be inside the death Star when it explodes into smithereens and still manage not be meaty chunks is quite an achievement.

They could have had a twist with Snoke returning in this episode, play it off like he was puppeteering a clone of himself in the background to weed out Ben Solo as he knew he was conflicted. Would play into Vader turning on Palpatine and lessons learned from that encounter. Bit more believable than the direction they went. It would also have the effect of the real bad guy only really making himself known in this movie, the last thing people would expect is for Snoke to return after being cut in half. Then maybe he could be revealed as Darth Plagueis which was the main theory doing the rounds.

We never did actually learn his sith name unless its in some random comic book somewhere, Darth Lanky?

Soldato
The whole 'You're not the target audience' argument falls apart when you realise there's a multitude of 'kids' films out there that's universally loved by people of all ages, probably because they're actually well written films.

Man of Honour
So you think its [insert criticism] because you obviously arent the target audience and only kids are allowed to like this film?

I'm 62 and absolutely love Star Wars, I don't take it seriously like some of the sad blokes on here who have to pick at it when it's just Cowboys and Indians in space.
"OMG was that an invertor on a C7321, they didn't have them then, my whole life is ruined".

v0n

v0n

Soldato
it's just Cowboys and Indians in space.

Pssst.. you're mixing quotes. It wasn't Lucas about Star Wars, but Cameron who called "Avatar" cowboys and Indians in space, cause, you know, it actually was literally Pocahontas in space. Whereas Star Wars is many things - WWII, underground at the "outer rim" of Europe that created fall of the Soviet block, guerrilla war against capitalism etc, but Western doesn't fit too well.

Also... and I respect you Dimples, nothing personal... I don't quite get it when people stick it to and belittle the nerdism of Star Wars fans. The reason why Disney made these movies, and bought LucasFilms for billions, and why the intellectual property was worth billions, is because unlike any Sci Fi movie franchise in the history of cinema, regardless of weather good or bad, Star Wars had the following of nerds that kept picking every "inventor on C7321" and keep records of everything in canon to the letter. The difference why Star Wars is worth billions and... I don't know.. Terminator franchise isn't, is purely because the former one is still viable commercially - there are vast sways of people that will still discuss every screw in Haynes Manual to Star Destroyer all night long, buy every edition of the movie just to whinge about digital changes in them and collect toy versions of every droid that appeared in a background of New Hope for 5 seconds to scrutinise reproduction and details. 35 nearing on 40 years on.

When Disney bought Lucas and Star Wars, their target audience wasn't you, a person that likes Star Wars and saw every movie in the cinema. They bought it for nerds - the people that live Star Wars like religion and see it 30, 40, 50 times on every possible media and people who will become those neds for the next 35 years. Disney not making those nerds happy and instead pushing some smelly turd their way is a very, very weird counterproductive thing, commercially and ideologically. It's as if someone bought name Pink Floyd to release three albums of ibiza club techno. And that's all people here are discussing.

The last trilogy was not very good. TROS wasn't good story. From any angle. Pretty - yes. Action packed - for sure. But it was terribly written. Of course people will whinge.

Plus - I'm sure you understand - thread like this is the exact place to vent ones nerdiness. If not in this thread then where, right? So, jumping into Star Wars subject to have a laugh about geekiness of comments and neat picking is a bit like commenting on ridiculousness of Jesus' origin story in the middle of the Sunday mass. We get it - it's over the top, we get it - you're a comedian, but time and a place mister, time and place.

Now, do you genuinely have an pre-emptive inventor on a C7321 to report Mr. Poole or are you just trolling us? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole 'You're not the target audience' argument falls apart when you realise there's a multitude of 'kids' films out there that's universally loved by people of all ages, probably because they're actually well written films.

I disagree. The picking apart of a SW film is way more than a regular kids movie gets. The guy a few pages back going on about Lea opening her eyes in space....

We don't hear that in reviews of Toy Story "I just kept rolling my eyes... No way Woody would have survived that fall from the balcony"

Soldato
Saw it last night... I enjoyed it a lot, but maybe that's because I've largely avoided any leaks/spoilers, didn't watch the trailer, haven't paid attention to all the fan theories over the last couple of years nor really bought much into all of the social media competition to see who can hate Disney and the franchise the most :rolleyes:

Soldato
It's good if you are the age of the target audience

I'm 62 and absolutely love Star Wars, I don't take it seriously like some of the sad blokes on here who have to pick at it when it's just Cowboys and Indians in space.
"OMG was that an invertor on a C7321, they didn't have them then, my whole life is ruined".

You seem to be taking defending this film/trilogy quite seriously?

Soldato
Saw it last night... I enjoyed it a lot, but maybe that's because I've largely avoided any leaks/spoilers, didn't watch the trailer, haven't paid attention to all the fan theories over the last couple of years nor really bought much into all of the social media competition to see who can hate Disney and the franchise the most :rolleyes:

I avoided the trailers and leaks.

I love Star Wars...even the prequels to some extent.

I quite liked TFA.

I enjoyed TLJ in the cinema and have watched bits of it again...even though it destroyed the character of my childhood hero.

I went into the cinema with a completely open mind, with no love or hate of Disney and wanted it to be good.

I am extremely tolerant of films...I even enjoyed and rewatched TPM multiple times FFS.

I spent pretty much all of the TROS in total disbelief at how terrible and incomprehensible it was. It was like watching an argument between two directors.

As I did with TLJ, most people will eventually realise what utter trash this film was and how appallingly treated the entire trilogy was from the point of view of people who wanted some weight behind the film.

No way a young me is loving this film.

Soldato
I disagree. The picking apart of a SW film is way more than a regular kids movie gets. The guy a few pages back going on about Lea opening her eyes in space....

We don't hear that in reviews of Toy Story "I just kept rolling my eyes... No way Woody would have survived that fall from the balcony"

The original Star Wars trilogy aren't kids movies, we may have enjoyed them as kids, but you're being deliberately disingenuous with that comparison. They're movies aimed at teenage boys pretty much. The latest Star Wars movies are fun family movies that children and people with an IQ below 85 can enjoy.

Man of Honour
Also... and I respect you Dimples, nothing personal... I don't quite get it when people stick it to and belittle the nerdism of Star Wars fans. The reason why Disney made these movies, and bought LucasFilms for billions, and why the intellectual property was worth billions, is because unlike any Sci Fi movie franchise in the history of cinema, regardless of weather good or bad, Star Wars had the following of nerds that kept picking every "inventor on C7321" and keep records of everything in canon to the letter. The difference why Star Wars is worth billions and... I don't know.. Terminator franchise isn't, is purely because the former one is still viable commercially - there are vast sways of people that will still discuss every screw in Haynes Manual to Star Destroyer all night long, buy every edition of the movie just to whinge about digital changes in them and collect toy versions of every droid that appeared in a background of New Hope for 5 seconds to scrutinise reproduction and details. 35 nearing on 40 years on.

That is an excellent reply.
Funnily enough a mate of mine and keyboard player in a band with me has been collecting all his life and even wrote a book on his obsession with Star Wars (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waiting-Star-Wars-Phillip-Heeks/dp/1326583220). The funny thing is he just enjoys the films and doesn't go into the nerdiness of them and you could say he's a true fan who has spent 100s & 1000s on collecting (I estimate at least £250,000).

You seem to be taking defending this film/trilogy quite seriously?

Absolutely and that's why nerds annoy me with stupid statements.
You could actually pick apart every second of any Star Wars movie if you want to compare it to real science.

Soldato
You could actually pick apart every second of any Star Wars movie if you want to compare it to real science.

It's never been about comparing it to real science. It's about its internal consistency and the massive background of canon. If all the characters are dumb and doing very stupid things with no reason other than it's the way the director wants to drive the plot, then you break consistency, the suspension of disbelief, and you lose your audience.

You just have to look at the Angry Joe, Critical Drinker or Nerdorotic reviews to see them point out how many things just don't make any sense in the context of the movie's own world building. This film was just about bodging up an ending, trying to undo all of Rian Johnson's damage, just getting something out there for Christmas. Lot's of shiny digital effects, and relying on the nostalgia trying to get them over the finish line, and with little effort put into the difficult things like character and story.

Soldato
Absolutely and that's why nerds annoy me with stupid statements.
Comparing a film to the real world ≠ critique based on the rules of the Star Wars universe set out by the countless number of films, TV shows and other material based on Star Wars. That's why people took issue with most of the crap in TLJ, not because it's not consistent with real life.

Soldato
I avoided the trailers and leaks.

I love Star Wars...even the prequels to some extent.

I quite liked TFA.

I enjoyed TLJ in the cinema and have watched bits of it again...even though it destroyed the character of my childhood hero.

I went into the cinema with a completely open mind, with no love or hate of Disney and wanted it to be good.

I am extremely tolerant of films...I even enjoyed and rewatched TPM multiple times FFS.

I spent pretty much all of the TROS in total disbelief at how terrible and incomprehensible it was. It was like watching an argument between two directors.

As I did with TLJ, most people will eventually realise what utter trash this film was and how appallingly treated the entire trilogy was from the point of view of people who wanted some weight behind the film.

No way a young me is loving this film.

Well that's a shame, I feel bad for you that you weren't able to enjoy the movies at all... but you clearly didn't go into the cinema with an open mind for this one - you even say in the same post that TLJ was utter trash, the trilogy was appalling, they destroyed your childhood hero etc. I think if I had gone into the cinema carrying all those feelings about it already I wouldn't have enjoyed it either...

It's just disappointing to see... as with many people who would claim to be such super fans and love Star Wars so much they've all done themselves no favours by just seething with rage over every tiny thing that didn't precisely meet their expectations; then having all that amplified 1000x over by all the other bitter, dejected "true fans" online in their echo chambers... I hit up an old friend of mine who would always nerd out about Star Wars with me this morning to ask if he'd seen it "No not yet don't think I'm going to bother everyone I've spoken to who saw it so far says it's just loads of twists for no reason with no story or anything good in it at all" :rolleyes: - no desire to even bother making his own mind up... sad really

Back
Top Bottom