**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Associate
The two big things for me are whether the ultra's camera is much better than the S20+ and how badly hamstrung the Exynos is.

I'm pretty interested in the camera, it is going to be good to see some reviews as I have the same question.

Pretty happy with the Exynos in the Note 10, so can't see the new one being an issue.

Soldato
They will reject it when they get the device unfortunately.

I spoke to them last time about this when I had the S10 5G which was a Korean import and they said although the IMEI is accepted (it's an error on their system) they will not accept any imports for trade in.

He can always try MM on here, some of us Exynos sufferers maybe interested in a superior version of the phone ;)

Associate
Still deciding on whether to go 512GB version with 16GB RAM, or just 128GB and 12GB RAM. My instincts tell me that the 128GB with 12GB RAM is going to be the sweet spot in tech terms that'll last the new couple of years I put it through at least. Now only looking at appropriate deals for it.

Soldato
Still deciding on whether to go 512GB version with 16GB RAM, or just 128GB and 12GB RAM. My instincts tell me that the 128GB with 12GB RAM is going to be the sweet spot in tech terms that'll last the new couple of years I put it through at least. Now only looking at appropriate deals for it.
16GB RAM is overkill IMO and storage is expandable with SD cards so I don't see a need for it really.

Associate

I had the same debate with myself, decided after that 128GB storage & 12GB RAM were more than enough on a phone.
£200 more buys a lot of SD cards and would another 4GB RAM really make that much difference on a phone.
Pre-Order has been place, bring on 09 March as long as Samsung have got there act together.

Soldato
Can't work it out as my google-fu has failed me - does anyone know if the UK S20 Ultra will have dual SIM slots or not? Thanks :)

Associate
I wonder how much ram processing the 108mbps picture will take along with on phone editing.

SD cards are fine for storage but wouldn't be fast enough for a responsive camera, I doubt you'll be able to use them for that.

Still I only ever used 50Gb of my S10 as everything else is on SD.

Associate
16GB RAM is overkill IMO and storage is expandable with SD cards so I don't see a need for it really.

I had the same debate with myself, decided after that 128GB storage & 12GB RAM were more than enough on a phone.
£200 more buys a lot of SD cards and would another 4GB RAM really make that much difference on a phone.
Pre-Order has been place, bring on 09 March as long as Samsung have got there act together.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've concluded as well. Now I just need to find a good plan or package to get it together on. Currently on a £16 a month contract that's waaay out of date anyway (1GB or 3GB data unlimited talk and texts, haven't renewed it in ages). So will look around to see whats available and see if I should buy outright and get a cheap contract, or grab it all via my telecoms company.

Associate
I wonder how much ram processing the 108mbps picture will take along with on phone editing.

I'd imagine less than a GB per image held, so probably 5-6GB for a series of shots. 5 for the 2 pre-click shot, 1 current shot, 2 post-click shot and 1 to process whichever one is taken. Which if true, certainly would mean having more RAM is better. Although I'm going to guess that they also have efficient compression use for it too, so unlikely to use all of every GB per shot. So could be less than that.

Associate

Even 12GB is excessive for an Android phone.

If you want a phone that's going to last a long time, wait for something with Snapdragon 865, Samsung's Exynos chipset is usually subpar in comparison regarding performance and battery life.

Associate
With memory cleared the machine sits at 4.4Gb, having stuff in RAM adds to the slick speed feeling, no glitching, it's not lazy memory management, it's about caching in what is available without unnecessarily shutting stuff down, same way most OS do it if they have RAM available, it is there to be used.

Associate
I've got 12gb RAM on mine and it's currently at 7.7Gb, just from my daily bits and pieces usage. The more the merrier when it comes to RAM!

Android will use more memory if it's available, on my 6GB Note 9 I'm using 2.7GB and that's with over 400 apps installed.

Could also be bloatware, Samsung have more room to work with now. :D

Associate
Does anyone know if any of the UK carriers are using or looking to be using the "mmWave" band for 5g? The standard 5g is perfectly fine for me, but it's annoying that the 5g variant does not support this while the Plus and Ultra do.

Soldato
Is this just a shed load of old apps? I don't massively care about keeping my last 30 apps in memory due to lazy memory management.

It's just stuff in memory and it means that nothing needs to reload if I ever want to use it. No doubt 6gb would be fine with reloading but its nicer when apps appear immediately when I press the icon.

Let's face it, everyone would prefer more RAM as long as it didn't cause huge extra battery drain. It's only a question because Samsung are charging £200 for extra RAM and storage that probably cost them less than £20 to manufacture. If 16gb was a £25 option on the phone, most people would go for it because why not?

Last edited:
Soldato
Surprised at the level of interest in the Ultra to be honest, I'd be embarrassed to own one at these prices.
Well I mean, All in, phone and unlimited 5g contract, it will cost me about 65 a month and (then -110 for my old phone)

So i aint mad.

Would i pay EE's phone and contract price? No.

Soldato
It's annoying that they've done that. I like to buy the best specced phone but have no interest in that level of storage, so feel like it would be paying a big premium just for a Ram upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom