**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Associate
It's annoying that they've done that. I like to buy the best specced phone but have no interest in that level of storage, so feel like it would be paying a big premium just for a Ram upgrade.

Agreed. Bugging the kid to see what Sky offers for the Ultra so I can start wrangling with other telecoms to see what can be offered. :)

Associate
Well I mean, All in, phone and unlimited 5g contract, it will cost me about 65 a month and (then -110 for my old phone)

So i aint mad.

Would i pay EE's phone and contract price? No.

Not sure how anyone can be happy with spending £65 a month.

I spend £8 a month with Three (retentions offer), and my Note 9 cost £560 around 18 months ago, maybe longer I don't remember. Also still worth around £250.

£65 a month is nuts.

Soldato
Not really seeing the value in swapping to one of the S20 models from my S9.

Using the trade in thing I should be able to get £250 for my S9 which isn't bad, although my screen has some small scratches on so may prevent them paying out the full value.

Assuming I would be happy with the S20 4G version, then I'd be paying around £550 for the new phone on top, which can't do 5G. There isn't really a crazy performance difference between the two phones on paper.

I'll probably just wait and see when a better deal walks along.

Soldato
The monthly prices on flagship phones are now insane.

I can get £450 for my XS Max (64GB) and the S20 Ultra is tempting. Just a shame they wouldn't give the camera to a smaller device.

Associate

Using the trade in thing I should be able to get £250 for my S9 which isn't bad, although my screen has some small scratches on so may prevent them paying out the full value.

Assuming I would be happy with the S20 4G version, then I'd be paying around £550 for the new phone on top, which can't do 5G. There isn't really a crazy performance difference between the two phones on paper.

Most average consumers would struggle to justify buying these.

I don't think people buying this phone care about value for money, people are posting deals worth £50-60+ a month and actually think their getting a good deal.

Early adaptors will buy regardless, Samsung could just put go faster stripes on the back, update to their latest crappy Exynos chipset and they would still buy them, it's the same type of thing with Apple. At least the Apple SoC is actually decent, it's just the software that's junk.

Associate

Bought an S10 s/h beginning of December. Paid £400 for it on Ebay. I could trade it for an S20 4G as Samsung offering £350 for the S10. I'm a little tempted but not enough to actually order one. I sold an S9+ previous to the S10 as wanted a smaller phone - not that the S10 is massively smaller than the S9+ but is a little easier to handle. Of course you also have to factor in a new case and screen protectors too. Feels like I'd spend 500 quid to stand still?

It does actually, because if people keep buying them then companies like Samsung, Google and Apple will keep releasing overpriced phones!

Unfortunately you are going to be disappointed because people will keep buying them. I personally think the S20 Ultra is over priced and over big ;) Most will wander into their preferred phone store and sign up for 2 or 3 years on contract and pay it. I was having a tractor tyre repaired and there was a young lad getting told off by his older more worldly wise 'master' as he'd been showing off his new phone on which he declared he was paying £80/month. He was struggling to know why anyone would pay that much a month for a phone. Personally I care not what people spend their money on - just don't wander into a food bank with an S20 ultra in your pocket :rolleyes:

Associate
Unfortunately you are going to be disappointed because people will keep buying them. I personally think the S20 Ultra is over priced and over big ;) Most will wander into their preferred phone store and sign up for 2 or 3 years on contract and pay it. I was having a tractor tyre repaired and there was a young lad getting told off by his older more worldly wise 'master' as he'd been showing off his new phone on which he declared he was paying £80/month. He was struggling to know why anyone would pay that much a month for a phone. Personally I care not what people spend their money on - just don't wander into a food bank with an S20 ultra in your pocket :rolleyes:

There are all kinds of people, I've seem so called homeless with iPhone X's and Nike trainers, aka Professional Beggers, or bottom feeding scum.

Time will tell if the average consumer who maxes out at around £30-40 a month will pay extra for these, either way I'll wait like I always do and take advantage when they fall down to their real prices in October / November via Amazon sales or imports if needed.. :D

Soldato
Soldato
Phones have been taking decent quality daylight photos for years, so seeing a bunch of mostly full daylight photos doesn't wow me. I know there were a couple of darker shots but again they didnt seem any better than I've seen taken on other phones.

I will freely admit that I didnt spend 20 minutes viewing these samples side by side with a p30 pro equivalent, so this is just my first impression. The s20 ultra may well be the best camera phone on the market, I'll just read a variety of full reviews before I'm decided one way or another.

Associate
I don't think people buying this phone care about value for money, people are posting deals worth £50-60+ a month and actually think their getting a good deal.

It's equivalent to a few beers a week, or a takeaway, hardly breaks the bank, considering the tech in the phone and how niche it is I am surprised they can even be that cheap, a lot more effort goes into making these than most PC components.

These prices are launch prices, they always drop or are supplemented with other offers, you'll be able to get this for ~40 a month in the end, In fact my note10+ was similar sticker price but with deals it costs approx 25quid a month, so just wait on it, or buy some cheap Chinese thing and get your value there.

Last edited:
Associate
It's equivalent to a few beers a week, or a takeaway, hardly breaks the bank, considering the tech in the phone and how niche it is I am surprised they can even be that cheap, a lot more effort goes into making these than most PC components.

These prices are launch prices, they always drop or are supplemented with other offers, you'll be able to get this for ~40 a month in the end, In fact my note10+ was similar sticker price but with deals it costs approx 25quid a month, so just wait on it, or buy some cheap Chinese thing and get your value there.

Comparing an addiction to the latest phones to alcoholism....

I would take the beer any day over a new phone. :D:o:D

Last edited:
Associate
There are all kinds of people, I've seem so called homeless with iPhone X's and Nike trainers, aka Professional Beggers, or bottom feeding scum.

Time will tell if the average consumer who maxes out at around £30-40 a month will pay extra for these, either way I'll wait like I always do and take advantage when they fall down to their real prices in October / November via Amazon sales or imports if needed.. :D

If you were getting an Ultra on contract then £50 a month would be required to pay for the phone interest free over 24 months. You'd then maybe say somewhere north of £20 for your network. Soon adds up. But no different to cars or any other consumer goods in that you decide what you want to pay. As time goes on there are savings to be had as retailers start to discount phones, or phones and contracts. I personally don't bother getting a phone on contract preferring to buy when they become discounted or even in the case of current phone second hand. Cost me £70 to swap from an S9+ to S10, selling S9+ to recyclers and buying off ebay. Sold to recyclers on a 20% offer before Christmas. Both selling to those guys and to an extent, buying off ebay not for those who may not want any hassle :D

Back
Top Bottom