**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Caporegime
Knowing Samsung the battery will give the same mediocre (Exynos) performance even with the much larger performance, the high refresh rate screen must be a juice drainer.

Supposedly the Note 20 will have a better implementation (assume at QHD) as they can't be advertising their power user flagship but tell people to run at 1080+ - though as others say the difference is barely anything.

Edit - already on its way for the S20 series.

Last edited:
Associate
Just trying to get my head around the Samsung upgrade. My current S10+ is 12 months old and was purchased through the upgrade program. Now if I try to upgrade this to the S20+ it says £999 and no trade in discount. Yet I tried another way and it took the £400 off and reduced the monthly payment. Is this a Samsung website bug or if you pay the £999 price what happens with the £400 trade in value?

Soldato
Just trying to get my head around the Samsung upgrade. My current S10+ is 12 months old and was purchased through the upgrade program. Now if I try to upgrade this to the S20+ it says £999 and no trade in discount. Yet I tried another way and it took the £400 off and reduced the monthly payment. Is this a Samsung website bug or if you pay the £999 price what happens with the £400 trade in value?
There is £400 trade in value, but you don't own the thing you're trying to trade in. You returning it settles your unpaid finance and you get the new phone at full price. That's option 1.

Option 2 is you now find a large chunk of money to settle the finance yourself so you own your current phone and then trade it in and get cheaper monthlies on the new one.

But it's all going to work out very similar in the end.

I personally took option 1.

Associate
There is £400 trade in value, but you don't own the thing you're trying to trade in. You returning it settles your unpaid finance and you get the new phone at full price. That's option 1.

Option 2 is you now find a large chunk of money to settle the finance yourself so you own your current phone and then trade it in and get cheaper monthlies on the new one.

But it's all going to work out very similar in the end.

I personally took option 1.

Just been reading up the FAQ's and now understand. Option 1 settles the remaining finance of the upgrade approx. 12 months still to run on the S10+ and you start again by paying 10% £99.90 deposit upfront, monthly payment and final payment of almost £200 in month 24. I guess if you upgrade again in 2021 with a S21 its the same thing and you return the S20+ and never pay months 13-24 in effect.

I guess with option 2 its either pay both if they allow that or pay off the S10+ as you say to get cheaper monthly on the S20+

Man of Honour
OP
The Flip doesn't even have a glass layer. Someone did tests and found you could punch straight through the plastic and damage the OLED panel, which you couldn't do through a glass layer. Samsung are just straight up lying.

It does have a glass layer, it's so thin though but it does contain glass.

The flecks of glass after he peels off the plastic layer and runs the tool along the surface...

Soldato
Just been reading up the FAQ's and now understand. Option 1 settles the remaining finance of the upgrade approx. 12 months still to run on the S10+ and you start again by paying 10% £99.90 deposit upfront, monthly payment and final payment of almost £200 in month 24. I guess if you upgrade again in 2021 with a S21 its the same thing and you return the S20+ and never pay months 13-24 in effect.

I guess with option 2 its either pay both if they allow that or pay off the S10+ as you say to get cheaper monthly on the S20+
Yup that's my understanding of it! I much prefer option 1 as it means the "higher" monthlies will actually become your normal cost that you'll be used to and you'll never go from paying £20ish a month to £30ish a month if one year you don't have the means to buy out the first phone to trade it in at the halfway point.

Soldato
Is the Samsung upgrade plan more suited to people who upgrade on a 2 year cycle?

I usually have a 2 year plan, then a year on sim only. By then the battery is nackard on the phone and it's time for a new one.

Associate
The Samsung upgrade is just an option, there is no need to take it up, you are entered into it by default if you take advantage 0% finance from Samsung/Klarna, you can ignore it and just pay off your phone as normal and do what ever you like come the second year.

Soldato
I was just reading that if you trade in on the upgrade program, your trade in value gets averaged over 24 months to reduce the payments. This means that if you upgrade after 12 months, you're effectively losing those last 12 months of your trade in.

Something to think about for those planning to do both.

Associate
Is the Samsung upgrade plan more suited to people who upgrade on a 2 year cycle?

I usually have a 2 year plan, then a year on sim only. By then the battery is nackard on the phone and it's time for a new one.

If you trade in after 12 months on a phone that you bought on the Upgrade program it pays off the outstanding finance and you start again with no discount off the new purchase. You only get the trade in value if you have not used the upgrade program before or you have used it and completed the 24 month finance plan and/or paid it off in full, then the trade in value is shown as a discount on your new purchase to reduce the payments.

Associate
Just had a chance to play with an S20 ultra dummy unit in John Lewis.

Size wise doesn't really feel any bigger then my note 10+, impressive and the camera array is immense, not too thick but the weight distribution is definitely weighted towards the camera, held it towards the bottom and almost dropped it. Grey also looks very nice.

Soldato
Some bloke on YouTube got a few shots from an S20+ and compared them to those taken on an iPhone 11 Pro and a Pixel 4. The results were not especially impressive for the S20+, though it's certainly going to receive some software fine tuning in the coming days and weeks.

Soldato
I played with one in store and wasn't that enamoured by it. Sure the phone looks great but the software is another story, it only took a few minutes before affirming my preference for Pixels and stock Android.

Soldato
I think the S20 series looks pretty good, but I reckon I'll hold off to see what OP comes up with. Ideally I'd like them to produce a big 8 Pro and a small 8 Pro, but it's more likely every model will be 6.5"+, which is a shame.

Soldato
I played with one in store and wasn't that enamoured by it. Sure the phone looks great but the software is another story, it only took a few minutes before affirming my preference for Pixels and stock Android.
You can literally undo all of that in 5 minutes, My s8+ is currently looking the exact same as a pixel pretty much.

Back
Top Bottom