• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Well it seems RDNA2 packs a huge amount of punch per mm2 of die ...

The XBOX SoC is 360mm2 including the 8 Zen 2 cores, and the GPU with 52 Navi2X CUs, 1800Mhz clock and 12TF peak throughput.

That's a really, really big improvement on Navi1X, which is 250mm2 and 8.2TF (with an obviously larger TDP).

Soldato
Well it seems RDNA2 packs a huge amount of punch per mm2 of die ...

The XBOX SoC is 360mm2 including the 8 Zen 2 cores, and the GPU with 52 Navi2X CUs, 1800Mhz clock and 12TF peak throughput.

That's a really, really big improvement on Navi1X, which is 250mm2 and 8.2TF (with an obviously larger TDP).

Even if the CPU is Renoir based with less L3 cache,the GPU part still looks very small for a 56CU part with raytracing.

Associate
Even if the CPU is Renoir based with less L3 cache,the GPU part still looks very small for a 56CU part with raytracing.

It's 52CU but still small considering. I think most rumours suspected 56CU to be able to achieve 12TF but the fact AMD has managed that performance with only 52CU makes it even more impressive imo.

Now I'm wondering what an 80CU part is capable of... :D

Edit: You're right about it being a 56CU part, my bad, I was only counting enabled units and this has 4CUs disabled for redundancy and yield targets.

Last edited:
Soldato
RIP Navi

Xbox Series X final specs

CPU: Zen 2 16 threads @ locked 3.8ghz
GPU: RDNA 2 52CUs @ locked 1.83ghz = 12.2 tflop
Memory: 16GB GDDR6 @ 560Gbps
1 TB PCIE4 SSD @ 4.8 Gbps
4k Bluray Drive
Image Output: 4k 120hz, 8k 60hz, AMD Freesync, HDMI Forum VRR, HDR 10, Dolby Vision

Caporegime
RIP Navi

Xbox Series X final specs

CPU: Zen 2 16 threads @ locked 3.8ghz
GPU: RDNA 2 52CUs @ locked 1.83ghz = 12.2 tflop
Memory: 16GB GDDR6 @ 560Gbps
1 TB PCIE4 SSD @ 4.8 Gbps
4k Bluray Drive
Image Output: 4k 120hz, 8k 60hz, AMD Freesync, HDMI Forum VRR, HDR 10, Dolby Vision

LOL, the buggers not even out yet, and you're writing it off already :p

Soldato
Quite amazing what they doing with such a small chip tbh

Show casing a fully path traced game. Gears running around 2080 performance 4k ultra at 60fps

Now imagine a fully desktop RDNA 2 GPU am sorry but I think am even more hyped by this.

Soldato
Quite amazing what they doing with such a small chip tbh

Show casing a fully path traced game. Gears running around 2080 performance 4k ultra at 60fps

Now imagine a fully desktop RDNA 2 GPU am sorry but I think am even more hyped by this.

The game was only quickly ported over to RDNA2,and DF mentioned not all the features were used,and there was more room for optimisations.

Soldato
AMD really need to be putting these type of APU inside their Laptops so they can take it to Intel/Nvidia

I know these things don't scale linearly but 80cus should be a monster as long as there is no bottleneck somewhere else, I'd guess 50% faster than this Xbox - and as awesome as that sounds, it would still fall short of expect RTX3080ti performance by a little bit.

WHich goes to show, we're only amazed by the Xbox because of today's GPUs. By the end of this year desktop GPU's will blowing right past this Xbox easily.

It was a good idea for Microsoft to spec drop so soon so they could beat Navi 2 desktop and Turing desktop - they know those cards will beat the Xbox, they want to be first to build hype and pre orders. Microsoft says it doesn't think of playstation as it's competitor, it wants to compete with PC and cloud, so it makes sense for them to drop specs so quickly.

Soldato
AMD really need to be putting these type of APU inside their Laptops so they can take it to Intel/Nvidia
The 4000 series announced at CES already do, and they're using a refined Vega. Tiger Lake should be interesting but then it'll be facing off against a Zen 3 + RDNA 2 APU. Not sure what Nvidia have in the pipeline, but if the next Zen APUs and Tiger Lake are as good as rumoured, I'm not sure you'd need an Nvidia card outside of the ludicrously expensive gaming laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom