**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
There's enough gimmicky modes in there already, surely 1 more couldn't hurt!

I was recently introduced to the Samsung 'beauty mode' with its variable wrinkle-smoothing feature that I had never used, nor heard of before. Needless to say, the results were less than excellent.

Soldato
I've transferred over all of my files and had a play with the phone and i'm really happy to be honest.

Im not an enthusiast photographer like some of you but overall im pleased.

Battery life isnt amazing, but im hoping it will improve after a few charger.

Submitted my claim for the free buds around 11AM and have had the confirmation already so happy days.

Soldato
Have to say I hate this S20 Ultra more and more every day. The under screen FPS is simply unfit for purpose, its so bad that Samsungs face recognition is actually faster and works better, what the hell was wrong with the rear mounted ones that simply worked. Under screen scanners seem to be an advancement nobody asked for it nor wanted.

The camera is also abysmal, particularly at focusing on anything consistently and reliably. I went to scan the barcode of my lottery ticket last night to check the results and it simply wouldn’t do it, I had to ask my wife to do it on her £150 Honor Play which did it instantly.

The worst thing though is the battery life, it evaporates in use. I haven’t tested in 60hz because I didn’t buy it to use in that mode but honestly of the opinion that not only is this the most expensive upgrade Ive ever done, its the worst.

Soldato
Have to say I hate this S20 Ultra more and more every day. The under screen FPS is simply unfit for purpose, its so bad that Samsungs face recognition is actually faster and works better, what the hell was wrong with the rear mounted ones that simply worked. Under screen scanners seem to be an advancement nobody asked for it nor wanted.

I have been through your pain. Try registering your primary fingerprint twice and combine that with 'lift to wake' and face unlock. Also, you can have the AOD show the position of the sensor, which helps. It works pretty well for me, but sometimes I plant my thumb bang on the sensor, it buzzes once, buzzes twice and at that stage I KNOW that whatever I do, it's going to take me to a pin unlock for no apparent reason other than to annoy the hell out of me.

Associate
I have been through your pain. Try registering your primary fingerprint twice and combine that with 'lift to wake' and face unlock. Also, you can have the AOD show the position of the sensor, which helps. It works pretty well for me, but sometimes I plant my thumb bang on the sensor, it buzzes once, buzzes twice and at that stage I KNOW that whatever I do, it's going to take me to a pin unlock for no apparent reason other than to annoy the hell out of me.

The camera is also abysmal, particularly at focusing on anything consistently and reliably. I went to scan the barcode of my lottery ticket last night to check the results and it simply wouldn’t do it, I had to ask my wife to do it on her £150 Honor Play which did it instantly.

The worst thing though is the battery life, it evaporates in use. I haven’t tested in 60hz because I didn’t buy it to use in that mode but honestly of the opinion that not only is this the most expensive upgrade Ive ever done, its the worst.

Given your complaints, would you say the S20 + is the better option? I am currently waiting on my EE Ultra but undecided on whether to cancel it based on the feedback I have read so far. It is concerning that the battery is not great given it has a 5000mah battery. I have read that the S20 + gets better Barry and has a higher PPI...

Soldato
Given your complaints, would you say the S20 + is the better option? I am currently waiting on my EE Ultra but undecided on whether to cancel it based on the feedback I have read so far. It is concerning that the battery is not great given it has a 5000mah battery. I have read that the S20 + gets better Barry and has a higher PPI...

I haven't seen a review saying the S20+ battery is better than that on the Ultra, though I imagine the Snapdragon S20+ could be better than the Exynos Ultra.

The more I read, the clearer it is that the Exynos chip is the difference between a flawed but good series of phones a series of phones that is just outright good. The SD versions are plain better, most noticeably when it comes to the battery life.

Soldato

Well if I had the option again I would just wait. The OnePlus 8 and Xperia II are nearly here and I have a feeling they will both be much better than this.

Soldato
Well if I had the option again I would just wait. The OnePlus 8 and Xperia II are nearly here and I have a feeling they will both be much better than this.

A quick check of your history suggests you bought direct from Samsung. If so, send it back under their no-quibble 28 day return service. They even pick it up for you. You'll also have to contact their trade-in center and ask for your old phone to be returned. It's a PITA (I tried it before) which will be turned into a mega-PITA by coronavirus. On the other hand, why be miserable with a £1200 phone. Like you say, there'll be other phones soon.

Associate
Thank you, funny, I was thinking about the One Plus - liked their previous devices but you just don’t get that Samsung screen. I also read that a lot of the issues, battery, performance and heat, are due to the Exxon’s processes and a lot of the Snapdragon devices are not seeing the same issues. Sorry to hear that you’re not enjoying your Ultra - such a shame for the price point.

Soldato
A quick check of your history suggests you bought direct from Samsung. If so, send it back under their no-quibble 28 day return service. They even pick it up for you. You'll also have to contact their trade-in center and ask for your old phone to be returned. It's a PITA (I tried it before) which will be turned into a mega-PITA by coronavirus. On the other hand, why be miserable with a £1200 phone. Like you say, there'll be other phones soon.

Exactly, I aint going through that..I'll just accept the loss at this stage and treat it as a lesson learned.

Associate

Couple of additional questions mate. Did you restore the ultra from a back up or use smart switch and have you received the recent update - which included camera updates.

thank you.

Soldato
Would be good to get your impressions as I'm also a Mate 20 Pro (and happy) owner and feeling the upgrade itch!

Overall I think its a better phone, things feel a lot snappier and the 120hz screen is smooth as butter.

The only downside is that the camera on the ultra seems to struggle to focus when zooming over 10x, though when it does, the images you can capture from distance are hilarious (licentiate etc).

One thing I will say, a lot of apps seem to work better for example my banking app let's me use my fingerprint, the ring doorbell app loads the cameras without network issues etc.

Soldato
Thought I'd give it one last chance over the weekend. It's now boxed up and ready to go back.

The final straw was when I took some photos of my cat and it was still completely smoothing his face at the expense of detail as well as adding an unnecessary amount of sharpening and contrast. I still just can't believe how they've built something that has such great photographic specs on paper but is so let down by ultra aggressive image processing even when HDR/beauty/scene enhancer are all turned off.

One final point. It sounds like Samsung are going to have a disaster with the S20 range regardless of the unfortunate launch timing. Hopefully on the other side manufacturers will realise they need to stop charging ridiculous prices too if they're going to have any real success (this was another issue I wasn't particularly happy about).

What a shame.

Soldato
I haven't had any issues, might be worth deleting both and starting again.

I've only registered my thumb once and its instant., Faster than the hardware one i had in the S8+

As for battery, did you use smart switch or did you install everything manual, I find the second better personally as you never know what needless bloat you are bringing over with SS

Back
Top Bottom