**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
An update is out for my S20 + EE network

958900719a03ad67a19ffb9860e5d4c48f8b313a2020fa0b9c87bc7a9e9431c52ff2ca4d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about the SOT with the regular S20 but now I've had the device for a couple of weeks and a few charge cycles down it's settling in at around 5.5/6hrs per day at 120hz, much better than I anticipated after the initial drains I was seeing :)

Also my Nokia 1 (which cost me £49 as a cheap backup) did get accepted during the Trade-in offer for £150!!! Whole process was nice and simple in the end. Delighted that the only description for £150 was "Nokia 8-64GB" :p It was an 8GB device.

Soldato
OK, here's a reasonably difficult scene from my walk this morning. Shot at widest open aperture.

S20 Plus shooting DNG in Pro mode (not bad)

Fuji X-T20 in RAW (still light years ahead and makes the first photo obviously a mobile phone shot IMO)

S20 Plus in Auto with scene enhancer turned OFF. This image is so over-processed it's beyond a joke. Even some of my friends who know nothing about photography would say this looks awfully processed.

So as much as I like my new S20+ (120hz is awesome) the camera is hugely disappointing. Sometimes I just want to capture memories in auto and not have to geek around in Pro mode but I'm not sure I would trust it. Shame I don't have the latest iPhone as it would be interesting to see where that fits in among these.

Last edited:
Associate
So I have decided to return my S20Ultra within the 28 day window. My local DPD pickup point is now nearly 10 miles away due my local Curry’s etc closing due to the lockdown. Is that an essential reason to go out? It is if I want my £1400 back ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh this is a disaster. 3 have messed up my port, and I have a phone that can no
longer register on the network, no voice or data. Spent 7hrs on hold yesterday to their support across 3 phonecall, 3hrs, 2 x 2hrs. Web chat is down and to cap it all the invoice that came with my phone is dated last Fri rather than when I actually ordered it so no buds. Back to being on hold all day today..

Last edited:
Soldato
So I have decided to return my S20Ultra within the 28 day window. My local DPD pickup point is now nearly 10 miles away due my local Curry’s etc closing due to the lockdown. Is that an essential reason to go out? It is if I want my £1400 back ;)
why return?

Soldato

You'll need to drop it off somewhere else as I'm sure Currys have closed all stores from today.

Associate
why return?

Camera being the main issue, even with the latest update it is still not worthy of the £1400 price tag. The screen is gorgeous but to be honest all new phones coming out will have a 120hz refresh so it will no longer be one of the main selling points.

Associate
How can you guys return your phone, no one will be there to process it thus you will not possibly get a refund for months, it could get lost/stolen. you could end up with no phone and no refund ? if it was me i would not return it now .

Associate
Afternoon all.

I just received my Samsung Buds +, have I been unlucky or are Samsung sending out random colours.
I have a black S20 ultra purchased directly from Samsung and have received white buds. When I had my S10+ in white I receive white buds. I assumed (Wrongly) you got the coloured Buds to match the colour of the phone you purchased.

Has anyone else had the same happen to them. Not much point in trying to contact Samsung at the moment I would guess.

Associate
Afternoon all.

I just received my Samsung Buds +, have I been unlucky or are Samsung sending out random colours.
I have a black S20 ultra purchased directly from Samsung and have received white buds. When I had my S10+ in white I receive white buds. I assumed (Wrongly) you got the coloured Buds to match the colour of the phone you purchased.

Has anyone else had the same happen to them. Not much point in trying to contact Samsung at the moment I would guess.
The only free ones you get are indeed white.

EDIT : I would also like to mention that i had the previous black ones and i personly think the white ones are better, they do not show dust or erk flaky skin on them so much lol

Associate

EDIT : I would also like to mention that i had the previous black ones and i personly think the white ones are better, they do not show dust or erk flaky skin on them so much lol

Ah, that clears that up then. I guess you are right about the white ones not showing dust etc. I guess once they are in your ears you can't see them anyway :D

Yuck

Afternoon all.

What did your status say on the Samsung order screen? Mine still says "Sent for fulfilment"

Caporegime
Was considering an upgrade to the s20, got to the checkout stage on their site and am getting the message "Unfortunately, we cannot deliver in your area", which is odd as i've used this service a few times over the last few years. Guessing its down to the virus affecting deliveries?

Associate
For that reason alone is why i do not use smart switch and always set up each phone as a new one bar for the following. Contacts/messages/emails. other than that its all new, i thenm also re download apps i regularly use thus avoids downloading apps i have tried but never bothered to uninstall.

I also came from a note 9. the battery isn't as good granted but then it takes a while to get the battery and the management sorted. and remember the note series had a few battery optimisations baked into some of the updates. we will be getting some for the s20 range im sure.

EDIT also remember how fast the s20 range now charges back up. a lot faster than previous versions.

Taken me a few days reply to this, i managed to do a full wipe and reinstalled every thing from scratch without using smart switch and...........

Much much better, as expected battery was still a bit naff first few days, but today its been much improved now its done a few charge cycles etc. I'm on 4hrs 2mins sot with 40% battery left. It wouldnt even reach 4hrs screen on time last week. Also had the new update yesterday so maybe thats helped improve things.

Oh and i'm running screen at 120hz, same as last week.

Caporegime
OK, here's a reasonably difficult scene from my walk this morning. Shot at widest open aperture.

S20 Plus shooting DNG in Pro mode (not bad)

Fuji X-T20 in RAW (still light years ahead and makes the first photo obviously a mobile phone shot IMO)

S20 Plus in Auto with scene enhancer turned OFF. This image is so over-processed it's beyond a joke. Even some of my friends who know nothing about photography would say this looks awfully processed.

So as much as I like my new S20+ (120hz is awesome) the camera is hugely disappointing. Sometimes I just want to capture memories in auto and not have to geek around in Pro mode but I'm not sure I would trust it. Shame I don't have the latest iPhone as it would be interesting to see where that fits in among these.

You're comparing two RAW images with a processed jpeg taken with HDR, if you wanted something natural just turn HDR off? Samsung's jpeg processing has always been on the sharp/vivid side but there's nothing wrong with that photo. Turn HDR off if you don't want the 'overprocessed' look.

I'm happy so far, battery life has definitely improved with use and even with gaming and browsing insta I'll get 5 hours SOC at 120hz.

Also, I'm not really sure it's worth paying through the nose for a 5G plan with 4G on EE is this quick.

qFKknkr.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom