What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
The Box.

Cameron Diaz, Frank Langella, Kevin Robertson, and Michele Durrett? I mean... OK sure, let's give it a shot.

So there's this young married couple called Arthur and Norma, and they need a lot of cash real fast because reasons. Frank Langella (who for some reason is calling himself 'Arlington Steward') turns up with a mysterious box with a button on top, and tells them that if they press the button they will receive $1 million cash (tax free) but at the same time, someone they do not know will die.

Here's the weird part: nobody notices that it's actually Frank Langella! :confused:

Anyway, Norma presses the button to progress the plot, and it works. What happens next will shock you!

The Box is adapted from a short story by Richard H. Matheson. It has the look and feel of a big budget X-Files episode, but in a good way. The plot has many strands, including—but not limited to—NASA, space travel, determinism, and existentialism. Yet somehow, all these elements are woven together coherently.

IMDB reviewers have not been kind to The Box, which currently languishes at a massively underrated and entirely undeserved 5.1. This is absolute ********.

I rate The Box at 24.97 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an ambitious 7.5 on IMDB.

Associate
The Matrix Resurrections (2021) - 3/10

It starts off well as it explores the challenge of how you make a sequel to a closed franchise, keeping enough the same for familiarity but having enough different so it is fresh and exciting, but ends up being a compilation of the first 2 movies with little originality and none of the ‘wow’ factor.

The film was mostly boring, being too long, too serious and jumping between plot nonsense and pointless fight scenes.

The action scenes (and clothing range) are in the typical ‘Matrix’ style and are stylish enough, but although it has the same style and imagery as before, it’s sense of identity was somewhat lacking.

Soldato
Just pointing these reviews out to my brother as him and his g/f say they quite enjoyed it, but the pacing was more like an older movie. These days movies need to do more in the early parts to grab people in... (shown by the giving up in 40 minutes perhaps?)

Associate
The Matrix 4. Brings back old memories of the old ones. Not sure what direction they were trying to achieve (felt like it was trying to throw the whole remake film industry under the bus). If your are hardcore fan of this franchise, watch it light heartedly.

Soldato
Don't Look Up - 7.5 / 10

Directed by Adam McKay of The Big Short and Vice fame, a contemporary dry satire about the ability of mankind to ignore existential threats exacerbated by the ability of social media and corrupt politicians to convince people to ignore their eyes and ears and believe in alternative facts.

Soldato
Solo: A Star Wars Story : 8/10

I'm not sure why I felt this had negative reception when it came out. Had avoided this but watched it on Disney+ and actually enjoyed it. Pacing is good, some comedy, fun action. Bloke who plays Solo was decent and backed up with Woody worked.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars 2008 movie : 6/10

I've never properly watched the series. Tried this. Voice acting was fine. Animations felt dated. The chosen arc seemed a little inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Considering they have so much lore to pick from, to dedicate a whole movie on this seemed excessive. Dragged on. Not sure I could watch the hundreds of clone war episodes based on this.

Associate
The Matrix 4. Brings back old memories of the old ones. Not sure what direction they were trying to achieve (felt like it was trying to throw the whole remake film industry under the bus). If your are hardcore fan of this franchise, watch it light heartedly.
Were cinemas open yesterday? ;)

Associate
Solomon Kane (2009) - 7/10

Good acting with a simple plot and a good mix of the mystical and the mundane in its style and atmospheric setting.

Kane is well portrayed in all of his guises and the action is frequent, exciting and violent.

The ending was a bit of a letdown and the plot beats are predictable, but it was enjoyable and entertaining.

Soldato
the last duel, quite enjoyed this, if you like your medeivel history, sword fighting etc, quite a long run time off 2 and a half hours but flew in pretty quicky, 7/10

I enjoyed it too although the story structure didn’t quite work for me in terms of repetitiveness. However, still enjoyable overall.

Caporegime
The Unforgivable. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11233960/

After a false start the other day, I managed to finish watching this and I'm glad I did.

It obviously held my attention this time so it did something right.

I haven't seen many Sandra Bullock films but this is one I can recommend.

Quite a strong degree of emotion at various points in the movie.

Associate
The Many Saints of Newark: 6/10

Decent performances in this Sopranos prequel. Not much of a coherent story, more like bits and pieces and some nice snippets stuck together.

Definitely feels like a setup for at least one or two others.

It was weird seeing Moley Russell's Wart just confess to Dickie when it was completely unnecessary. She wasn't under any suspicion, and he had just basicially bank-rolled her ambition.
Noob-move Moley.

Back
Top Bottom