What have you done to your car today?

mjd

mjd

Associate
washed the outside, maybe do the inside. Anyone got any tips on how to get greasy windows cleaned without leaving streaks, last time i did it with window cleaner and cloth just left annoying streaks or maybe i just have bad technique :p

3m foam cleaner and an el cheapo microfibre from poundland.
These cloths are naff for most things, but seem to do a grand job on windows.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Fitted HIDs

one on left is HID, other is a Ring bulb
20130303_162443.jpg

both fitted
20130303_163256.jpg

then installed Jazz washer jets to stop my screenwash going into the scoop on my air intake
20130303_163522.jpg

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Yesterday, I applied a coat of banana dodo juice and sealed the wheels.

Today its having all the brakes changed to steels:-

- 997 Turbo disc all round
- GT3 PF 08 Compound front pads
- Carrera S PF 08 Compound front pads for the rear
- New brake sensors all round

The new 997 steel brake disc and Performance Friction 08 front/rear pads
photo6jiu.jpg

Car looking shiny on the ramp!
photo1moo.jpg

photo5fs.jpg

Pictures of the ceramic disc
photo2nz.jpg

photo3i.jpg

Pictures of the steel disc, looking clean for now!
photo4th.jpg

So in short, if anyone ever has a C2S with PCCB and they want to convert to steel you need:-
1. 997 Turbo disc all round £650 - £850 cost for all 4 depending on discount!
2. Front pads 997 Turbo and GT3 pads will fit, or continue using your ceramic stock pads, they will work fine!
3. Rear pads, you need to use 997 Carrera S front pads for the rear calipers, or the stock ceramic pads work fine!

Pad wise I've gone with PF08's though as they are supposed to be superb on road and track, zero fade and will last upto approx 10 hard driven trackdays, wheras the stock ceramic pads are only good for 4-5 track days and cost more.

Associate
Would have thought steel rotors are much cheaper and still fine for road use, ceramic last longer, give a more linear braking experience, less fade, better for racing, but cost a lot more....Might be wrong though!

OcUK Staff
What advantages does Steel brake discs over Ceramic? I thought ceramic are better of the two?

Steel is better for track use and has a better brake pedal feel, plus replacement cost is far lower. A ceramic disc is £2500 +VAT each!!!

Steel also last longer for track work, as ceramics don't cope with heat so well.

On a road car ceramics will last the life of the car, potentially pads too, ceramics are lighter, so give better handling/performance, they emit practically zero dust and never fade.

Soldato
When I drove a Mercedes E63 AMG with carbon-ceramic brakes, it had a rather disconcerting dead spot between pressing the pedal and receiving any braking force, but after that the brakes were fierce. Not sure if that's normal or not

Permabanned
Fitted some much needed Team Heko wind deflectors - a measly £24 from fleabay - then gave her a quick lunch hour wash and wax using Diamondbrite crud (all I have atm). Looks miles better, even with the washed out potato they call a camera on the Galaxy S3 :)

honda1.jpg

honda2.jpg

honda3.jpg

honda4.jpg

OcUK Staff
When I drove a Mercedes E63 AMG with carbon-ceramic brakes, it had a rather disconcerting dead spot between pressing the pedal and receiving any braking force, but after that the brakes were fierce. Not sure if that's normal or not

Yes it is, ceramics have very little intitial feel, then powerful. This is why you see people saying steels have more brake pedal feel, which I can now confirm do.

Couple more pics:-

photo6666.jpg

photo666.jpg

Don
^Looks sublime Gibbo.

Had a huge fright last night after changing my oil; drove to the mother in law's house to have a cup of tea.

As I got out of the car, I noticed a huge oil trail following the road I'd just driven on, and the same reverse parallel parking maneuver to the spot I was in. Cue mass panic as I popped the bonnet, wiped the dipstick on my jeans as I was in panic mode. Oil level fine.

Mother in law told me as I reached the front door that her neighbor had just bought a broken second hand boat and had parked it in the exact same place that I was in a few hours earlier.

Brown pants moment.

Soldato
Waxed the car for the first time, and my first ever time waxing a car too! Quite theraputic really, and the weather was gorgeous on the South coast today. I was getting too hot with just my jumper on!

Bad news is, I think the turbo to downpipe gasket has gone. The car sounds a bit like the exhaust is blowing, but not too loud. The turbo is louder than normal, but the real deal breaker is an overboost troublecode. Seems like the exhaust gasses are passing through the turbo too easily, creating too much boost.

Back
Top Bottom