A good reason not to holiday in Turkey?

Man of Honour
I go to Turkey every year because my wife's family live there. Am planning to go this August again.

Beautiful country, full of history and culture, amazing food, generous, hospitable people. Nothing but good things to say about it.

I will be mostly keeping out of this thread though because of the inevitable Muslim-bashing.

Where exactly would you recommend though and why?

Soldato
Stayed at the Gloria Serenity and Delphin Imperial in Antayla and Belek last year. Both amazing hotels and can't go wrong. :)

Caporegime
Had a couple of holidays there when I was younger with my family. Ephesus is amazing.
Sadly never went and won't be going back after the last time we were there a group of men attempted to rape my mum.

Permabanned
IIRC in muslim countries they have stuff like eggs, olives and cheese for breakfast?

Sounds OK I guess, nothing beats a French breakfast though.

Associate
Wow OP, quite saddening tbh, you'd think going to another county you would want to explore there food and cuisines rather than having what you have at home.

Soldato
Wow OP, quite saddening tbh, you'd think going to another county you would want to explore there food and cuisines rather than having what you have at home.

Do you think about Asian families who live here and eat almost exclusively Asian food are sad? Do you walk past a kebab shop and get saddened the Turkish owners didn't open a chippy instead?

Why do we embrace and accommodate other culture's foods when they come here, yet expect Brits to eat unfamiliar food when they go abroad?

Associate
OP

I approach the matter from the opposite direction, I try to share the wonder of bacon and other meaty goodness to these uncivilised countries, a crusade if you will. Upon scattering bacon freely among the natives they get very excited, and shout whilst waving their fists wildly, even going so far as to chase me around clearly wanting some more. Who wouldn't after being hit in the face by hot greasy bacon?

I'm just doing my bit for international relations, a bit like Jamie Oliver when he tried to starve the fat people of America.

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;21308546 said:
Brits abroad. No wonder everyone hates us.

Indeed, how depressing :(

I was in morocco and over heard some Brits complaining that the merguez sausages were made of beef and not pork !:mad:

Soldato
The only things I have heard about Turkey is the men are like dogs and try and sleep with anything female, and hound western women and are generally pretty scum of the Earth, from various female friends who have been, and they all say the same thing, sounds a bit..........grim,lol, mind you, I'd assume they wouldn't hound guys, but if they didn't leave alone female friends I'd be with, there would be issues.

Man of Honour
The only things I have heard about Turkey is the men are like dogs and try and sleep with anything female, and hound western women and are generally pretty scum of the Earth, from various female friends who have been, and they all say the same thing, sounds a bit..........grim,lol, mind you, I'd assume they wouldn't hound guys, but if they didn't leave alone female friends I'd be with, there would be issues.

Jesus where do the stories come from? Totally differant to my current trip through Turkey.

I've been invited into homes to stay for free, given free meals, flagged down on the road and given free cups of tea. Maybe the stories are all from the resort areas and Istanbul? The rest of the place is incredible, one of the best countries I've visited.

To OP. Firstly Turkey is Secular not Muslim. The reason pork is not available is due to the fact the population is mostly Muslim leading there to be virtually no demand for it. Turkish cuisine is some of the best on earth, if you genuinely miss pork whilst visiting then I query your taste buds. A small list of some great Turkish foods;

Proper kebabs, Beyti Kebab is my absolute favourite
Ciger (deep fired lambs liver with chilli sauce)
Baklava
Lokum (Real turkish delight, not the rose water garbage from the UK)
Etli Ekmek
Ishlak burger (Beef burger dunked whole in spicy tomato sauce)
Ayran (Buttermilk drink)
Saffron Lokum
The fresh fish is incredible

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ciger (deep fired lambs live with chilli sauce)

harsh :p

Worked in Tunisia for a few months, plenty of good food and some shocking stuff too. Had some stuff so rare it was still Baaaa-ing at me.

To expect pork in a Muslim country is pretty silly but to want to try and find favorite foods or similar isn't crazy.

Back
Top Bottom