Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Somebody tried to hand me a 'Stronger in Europe' leaflet yesterday. I just said 'no thanks i'm voting out' and carried on walking. Luckily he didn't try to change my mind as I just wanted to chill in the sun and not have a political discussion :p

Over the last two weeks I have been handed leaflets by various people dressed in union garb. All of them were "stronger in Europe", I am yet to see any Brexit leaflets on the street.

Every time I see their union t-shirt or jacket and think they must be for Brexit but nope. Surely an EU T-Shirt would be more appropriate.

Soldato

"“We control our own borders… giving us the right to check everyone”. The right to check does not amount to the right to control entry, in the case of EU citizens."

Furthermore it should be added to fullfact, it does not also amount to the right to control entry, in the case of EU citizens spouses from anywhere in the world.

Permabanned
I believe one or more wars involving EU member countries is HIGHLY likely in the next ten years, whether we are in or out of the EU. Probably driven mainly by totally unsustainable levels of economic migration causing huge friction. Maybe some initially minor civil war between migrants and the indigenous populations of those countries who have foolishly thrown open their doors to sundry detritus of unknown and unchecked origin.

That said I fail to see what relevance our membership or not will have on this possibility.

Soldato
Losing access to Erasmus exchanges is a concern after Gove's recent announcement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Programme. It'd be rather hard and expensive to decouple it in any serious form from the fundamental right of freedom of movement. Just as it was rolling out to secondary school level too -- what a waste of opportunity. Hopefully, FF will pick this point up. Can't see it on the site atm.

Caporegime
I was undecided. To be honest probably wasn't going to vote as I think the decision should be taken by people with far more information than I will ever have about this. Plus either way I really don't think it will impact my life.

But I'm sick of the scaremongering. The latest piece on war, I'm voting out. After all we have been such a peaceful nation in Europe. Obama irked me, my company sending one way propaganda irked me, this final piece of the puzzle has me voting out.

Soldato
Eurabia, innit. Dat Enoch Powell new wot he was talking about, bruv.
I wouldn't go as far as Chris Wilson and say war is on the horizon, but to pretend that there isn't chaos, crime, and very unhappy citizens wherever there's a concentration of migrants is laughable. Or is it just more nothing to see here from desperate remainers?

Caporegime
The latest headline is terrible. (the war one)
I can forgive all other economic ones as people pushing their agenda on both .. But this one is possibly the most scare tactic esque I've seen.

If the UK being in the EU or not is enough to stop a war it must be a pretty delicate situation! It's actually pretty arrogant to think our country (which usually causes tension!) can stop groups of people going to war

Think this one headline could do a lot of damage to IN campaign. It's certainly pushed me more to exit.

Soldato
I was undecided. To be honest probably wasn't going to vote as I think the decision should be taken by people with far more information than I will ever have about this. Plus either way I really don't think it will impact my life.

But I'm sick of the scaremongering. The latest piece on war, I'm voting out. After all we have been such a peaceful nation in Europe. Obama irked me, my company sending one way propaganda irked me, this final piece of the puzzle has me voting out.

The latest headline is terrible. (the war one)
I can forgive all other economic ones as people pushing their agenda on both .. But this one is possibly the most scare tactic esque I've seen.

If the UK being in the EU or not is enough to stop a war it must be a pretty delicate situation! It's actually pretty arrogant to think our country (which usually causes tension!) can stop groups of people going to war

Think this one headline could do a lot of damage to IN campaign. It's certainly pushed me more to exit.
Yes hopefully this is the step too far that actually pushes more to vote out, that would be great :)

Caporegime
As usual, it turns out the headlines are more lurid that what he actually said. You can read the whole speech here if you're so inclined. This is what he said about war in Europe:

Like any Brit, my heart swells with pride at the sight of that aircraft, or whenever I hear the tell-tale roar of those Merlin engines over our skies in the summer.

Defiant, brave, indefatigable.

But it wasn’t through choice that Britain was alone. Churchill never wanted that. Indeed he spent the months before the Battle of Britain trying to keep our French allies in the war, and then after France fell, he spent the next 18 months persuading the United States to come to our aid.

And in the post-war period he argued passionately for Western Europe to come together, to promote free trade, and to build institutions which would endure so that our continent would never again see such bloodshed.

Isolationism has never served this country well. Whenever we turn our back on Europe, sooner or later we come to regret it.

We have always had to go back in, and always at a much higher cost.

The serried rows of white headstones in lovingly-tended Commonwealth war cemeteries stand as silent testament to the price that this country has paid to help restore peace and order in Europe.

Can we be so sure that peace and stability on our continent are assured beyond any shadow of doubt? Is that a risk worth taking?

I would never be so rash as to make that assumption.

It’s barely been 20 years since war in the Balkans and genocide on our continent in Srebrenica. In the last few years, we have seen tanks rolling into Georgia and Ukraine. And of this I am completely sure.

The European Union has helped reconcile countries which were once at each others’ throats for decades. Britain has a fundamental national interest in maintaining common purpose in Europe to avoid future conflict between European countries.

And that requires British leadership, and for Britain to remain a member. The truth is this: what happens in our neighbourhood matters to Britain.

That was true in 1914, in 1940 and in 1989. Or, you could add 1588, 1704 and 1815. And it is just as true in 2016.

Either we influence Europe, or it influences us.

And if things go wrong in Europe, let’s not pretend we can be immune from the consequences.​

That doesn't seem to me quite what it's being reported as.

Associate
He's saying Europe, it's annoys me
It's the political union we are leaving not the continent.

Also it's definitely an own goal, comes across desperate :D

Soldato
Your efforts at presenting the facts and disproving all the innaccurate headlines (on both sides of the debate) are laudable Mr Jack.

It's amazing how many people get influenced time after time by these sorts of Headlines that bear little resemblence to what was actually said....we all know this, so you would think people would take 2 mins and read into it a bit more....but no, the posts above show this isn't the case.

So guys, it's the Newspapers reporting **** that makes it seem like scaremongering, not the PM

Soldato
Obama irked me, my company sending one way propaganda irked me, this final piece of the puzzle has me voting out.

If your company warned you about Brexit, it didn't do so for ideological reasons, it did so because the management is worried about the bottom line. You don't sound like you're running the place and people such as yourself are the first to suffer when the bottom line is affected. Your recovered 'sovereignty' will not pay your bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom