Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That's all well and good when you have property available at half of what you can borrow. Saying it's 'their fault' house prices are high in sought after areas is a bit ridiculous. You HAVE to borrow up to your affordability in some cases because otherwise you couldn't get anywhere near being able to find a property.

You don't HAVE TO. It's your choice, nobody is forcing you to buy a property. Anyway that's off topic and not really relevant to this topic. I was just making a point that too many people in this country don't live within their means and then blame XYZ for their poor choices in life.

Caporegime
Boris Johnson is a good speaker, ****e when challenged but public speaking you can tell he just cuts straight to people.

I'm unsure what you mean by the bolded part?

I agree Boris is a good speaker, he's easy to listen to and comes across as likeable and I'm sure people find him convincing. But he's just awful on facts: and it's not just that he repeats things without fact checking them, he wilfully repeats things that he knows to be false. His biography of Churchill sums him up: widely liked by casual readers but utterly slated by serious historians for it's continual factual inaccuracies while many political commentators saw in it an attempt to elevate Boris himself.

And that's the feeling I get from Boris all the time: he's not a politician who has much interest in facts nor much interest in doing the best job in the role he's been elected to do but a great deal of interest in furthering Project Boris.

When he was a regular on Have I Got News his bafoonish charm was endearing but in a man who might lead the country his deep, deep flaws are seriously concerning. Do we really want a PM who attaches so little value to the facts of the matter?

Caporegime
You don't HAVE TO. It's your choice, nobody is forcing you to buy a property. Anyway that's off topic and not really relevant to this topic. I was just making a point that too many people in this country don't live within their means and then blame XYZ for their poor choices in life.

Actually, given how shockingly rubbish renting in this country is, I think it's hard to argue that people aren't being forced into buying property. There is very little alternative to buying if you want a home that you can rely on keeping and keep to your tastes.

Worse, buying is the poster-child for "he who haveth shalt receive". Once you have enough income and deposit to buy a house you benefit from lower mortgage than you would pay in rent and increasing share of an appreciating asset. I have made something like £55k in equity by owning for the last 14 years and during that time I've had to pay out less than I would have had to pay in rent. It's just another ratchet helping increase the gap between the relatively affluent and the have-nots.

Associate
I'm unsure what you mean by the bolded part?

I agree Boris is a good speaker, he's easy to listen to and comes across as likeable and I'm sure people find him convincing.

You've more or less answered it by that following paragraph, he's one of very few politicians were he can get muddles up, mumbles and waffles on and some how still make a connection to the audience and somehow has made them on board.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure people see him as marmite

Soldato
Actually, given how shockingly rubbish renting in this country is, I think it's hard to argue that people aren't being forced into buying property. There is very little alternative to buying if you want a home that you can rely on keeping and keep to your tastes.

Worse, buying is the poster-child for "he who haveth shalt receive". Once you have enough income and deposit to buy a house you benefit from lower mortgage than you would pay in rent and increasing share of an appreciating asset. I have made something like £55k in equity by owning for the last 14 years and during that time I've had to pay out less than I would have had to pay in rent. It's just another ratchet helping increase the gap between the relatively affluent and the have-nots.

Quoted for truth.

(Do people still use that on forums lol)

Soldato
That is really their own fault. I bought a property about 12months ago and I only borrowed half of what I could have.
A. Because it was still enough to buy me a place I liked
B. Because of what you say above
C. Because I can pay off my mortgage in about 5 years if I really try.

While it would be nice if the property value dropped it would be pretty bad from all the investment point of view

Good for you, but that's almost impossible anywhere south even on well above average wages. I'm a higher rate tax payer but can't even NEARLY afford a house in Bristol.

Soldato
I am not sure that Churchill was an advocate of the EEC let alone the EU (too early). Much of his comments alluded to the earlier Council of Europe, Human rights convention etc. He did say that France and Germany should have closer ties.

He did allegedly say that given a choice between looking to Europe or the open sea, we should look to the open sea.

Soldato
Well, with Greece about to need yet another bailout, Germany getting massive support for far-right parties against the migrant influx, and Cameron spouting ridiculous fear-mongering about "stay in the EU or it'll be war" - is anyone surprised at a swing towards 'leave'?

Can't get out of there fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Man of Honour
Well, with Greece about to need yet another bailout

Did we participate in the last one?

No, so what does that have to do with anything? Are you suggesting people would swing to 'Leave' based on factors that are not even related to our membership? Surely not.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;29476004 said:
No, so what does that have to do with anything? Are you suggesting people would swing to 'Leave' based on factors that are not even related to our membership? Surely not.

I think the reasons people would vote to leave are precisely the reason I think it should have been left to the politicians. We had this conversation at work where we are all in the work share schemes and they are threatening us with the share price falling if we leave. So many people at work would vote one way or another for a short term gain say of doubling their shares over a 3 year period and would vote whichever way gave them that.

People would vote either way to turn even a small amount of 2k into 4k because just about anyone I have spoken to about this really has no idea about long term impact. Myself included.

V F

V F

Soldato
Well, with Greece about to need yet another bailout, Germany getting massive support for far-right parties against the migrant influx, and Cameron spouting ridiculous fear-mongering about "stay in the EU or it'll be war" - is anyone surprised at a swing towards 'leave'?

Can't get out of there fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

I heard there were riots there last night...

I think the reasons people would vote to leave are precisely the reason I think it should have been left to the politicians. We had this conversation at work where we are all in the work share schemes and they are threatening us with the share price falling if we leave. So many people at work would vote one way or another for a short term gain say of doubling their shares over a 3 year period and would vote whichever way gave them that.

People would vote either way to turn even a small amount of 2k into 4k because just about anyone I have spoken to about this really has no idea about long term impact. Myself included.

Yes, of course. Hold all this trust with a bunch of duplicitous treacherous human beings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom