Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Yes, of course. Hold all this trust with a bunch of duplicitous treacherous human beings.

I understand that point, but that's the reason you vote them there in the first place. Outside of this forum I literally don't know anyone that's putting enough time and effort into the research to decide properly which way to vote.

How many people do you know that are educating themselves properly or who actually have enough knowledge on the longer term impacts of a vote one way or the other. I don't actually know any. I think voting based off so little real knowledge is equally as dangerous as trusting politicians.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;29476004 said:
Did we participate in the last one?

No, so what does that have to do with anything? Are you suggesting people would swing to 'Leave' based on factors that are not even related to our membership? Surely not.

Yes, because Joe Public will see Greece need another bailout and don't think they should foot the bill for it. They will therefore (rightly or wrongly) vote out.

Caporegime
LOL I love this argument from leave camp.

You don't trust them to make a good decision on EU but you trust them to run the country as they see fit once outside of EU.

Ohh look this argument for the millionth time.

The problem for just about every argument surrounding purely political problems is that they are all double-edged swords, so it'd be nice if people stop using them.

Soldato
As continued, all friends and family I know will be voting leave with just 2 on the fence but more swayed by leave because of the threats being made by France, US et al

I ran a session at work and Almost all voted remain... Until they were made aware of scaremongering. That is the strength and main argument of Remain: Use fear against you at all costs for their own interests. Fear is an effective weapon, especially against the weak minded (said some dude once)

Is anyone's kids school(s) bringing home things for this. My stepdaughter brought home a vote card to see what would be voted for now and then they will come and present evidence for you to make another decision.

Soldato
My stepdaughter brought home a vote card to see what would be voted for now and then they will come and present evidence for you to make another decision.

Is this just your step-daughters school? Is this a wider strategy does anyone know?

Sounds straight out of a communist state!

Soldato
I have completely changed my mind and will be voting out. My office was 50/50 if you remember a few weeks ago. Now, 70/30

Notice how it's recently gone very one sided in the media. How come the reports of migrants, calais, immigration has suddenly gone very quiet?

It's totally biased!

This was supposed to be a fair vote for the british public, yet all we are getting is the usual mud slinging. The information made available has been appalling.

Murdock?

Very bad show for democracy.....but as expected!

Soldato
Is anyone's kids school(s) bringing home things for this. My stepdaughter brought home a vote card to see what would be voted for now and then they will come and present evidence for you to make another decision.

If ever you see any group of teachers on a quiz team or show, they are usually quite bad at any sort of general knowledge or anything outside of what the curriculum is that they teach.

No one knows what will be best in 5 or 10 years, so no one can educate you as to what is the better decision.

Being widely read is the best cure for ignorance and not usually from the internet.

Soldato
Is this just your step-daughters school? Is this a wider strategy does anyone know?

Sounds straight out of a communist state!

Yea so far. They are doing 3 she says. 1 to be given as a "now" vote (already done), second came Friday last week with info for both on what the children found (excessive use of BBC articles and "the PM thinks its best we stay in" (or words to that effect). Completed then another is going to be done but don't know details of why yet.

Thankfully I have told her about scaremongering as she said we should stay because it will be dangerous and we wont be able to trade with anybody :rolleyes: . Scary thing is that type of rhetoric works on a lot of adults too

Soldato
I ran a session at work and Almost all voted remain... Until they were made aware of scaremongering. That is the strength and main argument of Remain: Use fear against you at all costs for their own interests. Fear is an effective weapon, especially against the weak minded (said some dude once)

Hasn't that been the main strategy used by the Leave campaign too? Talk of unlimited immigration from Turkey, refugees being fast-tracked passports, Greece/Italy/Portugal/Spain's economy completely collapsing, the EU collapsing, Britain's army falling under EU control...

Soldato
Thankfully I have told her about scaremongering as she said we should stay because it will be dangerous and we wont be able to trade with anybody :rolleyes:

Errr...apart from the fact no-one has said that :confused: Apart from the leave campaign accusing the remain campaign of 'scaremongering' by saying it....which they didn't

Scary thing is that type of rhetoric works on a lot of adults too

Well, only the ones with the mental age of children

Soldato
Hasn't that been the main strategy used by the Leave campaign too? Talk of unlimited immigration from Turkey, refugees being fast-tracked passports, Greece/Italy/Portugal/Spain's economy completely collapsing, the EU collapsing, Britain's army falling under EU control...

Nonono, only the remain camp have used 'scaremongering' about unknowns......those are known 'FACTS' by the leave camp....

edit :I thought I would bold and capitalise the word 'facts' to make it more true

Soldato
If you want to interpret it that way, go for it, as it doesn't surprise me you would come to the entirely wrong conclusion about something :p

Project fear is a Pro-EU tool to get all the big children that have a fear of fear to vote remain. For example lolzethor telling Dannyjo22 that he wont be able to pay his bills if we leave because his company wants to remain :rolleyes:

Soldato

These all have some basis in reality though, like you can literally go through all those and say yeah, there has been talk of an EU Army, we have had Greece's ecnomies collapse, Turkey and the EU are looking at closer ties which could end up with them having freedom of movement to the rest of the EU.

To suggest leaving the EU could lead to a war is absolutely ridiculous, there hasn't been a conflict between major 1st world developed countries since WW2, we're living in the era of the Great Peace. It's propaganda and lies at best.

Soldato
Project fear is a Pro-EU tool to get all the big children that have a fear of fear to vote remain. For example lolzethor telling Dannyjo22 that he wont be able to pay his bills if we leave because his company wants to remain :rolleyes:

I just laugh now whenever I see people use the phrase 'Project Fear' as I know the level of debate we're going to have :D

It's a stupid soundbite picked up and regurgitated by stupid people.....are you scared? Do you know anybody who is scared? No.....then it's not a very good tactic is it :p

Both sides of the debate are pointing out uncertainties (call it negative campaigning if you wish), which is then getting hyped out of all proportion by the Headlines in the news, which unfortunately is the one line the stupid people read and believe.

This then gets spouted as fact and is part of their decision to leave/stay, and even when it's pointed out countless times the headline doesn't bear much resemblance to the actual story, the record doesn't change.

Soldato
So what does this mean for Brits living in the EU ?

Like my mum for example, she's British but living in the South of France. Also myself, i'm toying on the idea of one day retiring to the mountains in France. Whilst i'm currently living in the US, being a British national means i can live anywhere in the EU. Will this end ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom