Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Jesus, Cameron has finally lost the plot.

A no vote will result in all sorts of dirty tactics to stay in, I reckon.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
"He also warned of a "significant shock" to the housing market in the event of the UK leaving the EU."

The shock is a fall in house prices apparantly. Oh no, it's almost as if the government want to keep house prices extortionatly high. Can't see how this is a negative to leaving the EU at all, in fact it's a huge positive to leaving.

No, it isn't, because house prices drop when demand at current prices drops, this occurs due to lending restrictions and financial uncertainty. It doesn't make houses any more accessible than they were before, because the market is supply constrained.

Falling house prices doesn't really benefit anyone.

Soldato
Interest rates should be at around 4%. It's the fact they have been so low for so long that's worrying.

Now you have couples that have mortgaged up to the hilt at the current rate and WHEN the rates return to normal they'll be sunk immediately !

That is really their own fault. I bought a property about 12months ago and I only borrowed half of what I could have.
A. Because it was still enough to buy me a place I liked
B. Because of what you say above
C. Because I can pay off my mortgage in about 5 years if I really try.

While it would be nice if the property value dropped it would be pretty bad from all the investment point of view

Caporegime
Brilliant and spot on to the point. :D

The absurdity of the pro EU crowd is insane to the point of thinking they have Stockholm syndrome. :rolleyes:

It has not embedded properly.

Fixed for you. ;)

Gove has said the UK should not re-enter the single market after Brexit. This matters because unlike the likes of Farage, etc. Gove is likely to be in a position that means that he may get to decide.

Brexit and back into the EEA would be bad for the UK economy; Brexit and no EEA would be a disaster.

:p

Soldato
While it would be nice if the property value dropped it would be pretty bad from all the investment point of view

I'd like my nieces and nephews to have some chance of own their own home sometime down the line. The fact that my house has appreciated so much in value since I bought it is downright ridiculous IMO. A load of bricks, mortar and a roof shouldn't be worth that much but that's what you get with such high demand. :(

For starters, doubling stamp duty for each additional home owned by a person or their spouse along with stopping investors buying places to leave empty should fix it. Work would be needed to close loopholes too. It's a joke now.

Anyhow, house prices decreasing means it's more affordable for me to move to the next place, so sounds fine to me! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Somebody tried to hand me a 'Stronger in Europe' leaflet yesterday. I just said 'no thanks i'm voting out' and carried on walking. Luckily he didn't try to change my mind as I just wanted to chill in the sun and not have a political discussion :p

Caporegime
Interesting short video ...

What a load of drivel.

Let's go through some of the claims:

1. No-one is proposing we'd ever leave this EU trade block - false and even if it was true there are no guarantees that we'd be able to remain in the block or that, if we are able to do so, we'd be able to do so on the terms we like. Finally, remaining in the single market would reduce rather than increase our control of our affairs since we'd now be bound by a host of rules we'd have no control over.

2. "Technologies have since made the idea of local trading unions completely obsolete" - really? So why are countries in South America and Africa trying to create similar organisations?

3. "it is now as cheap and easy to do business anywhere in the world" - only if you completely ignore the costs of shipping, distribution, setting up in new markets, differences in legal systems and differences in local regulation. In fact, one of the major advantages of the EU is that we have common regulation across the countries meaning that the major regulatory barriers to trade have been reduced or eliminated and, in most cases, only minor changes are needed to sell the same item across Europe.

4. "unelected EU commissioners" - unelected in the sense that they are direct representatives of our elected national governments and thus entirely accountable to our democratic process and that the president is chosen by the directly elected European parliament. How do people imagine this would work with a directly elected commission anyway? How would they work with the government of the day? The whole point of the commission is to represent the elected national governments in law making and thus maintain their sovereignty.

5. "Trade has fallen..." - no, trade has risen. Other trade has risen faster.

6. Ironic that he accuses the Remain campaign of spreading fear given what's coming up...

7. "...would £750 be all it takes to purchase your democratic rights". Based on the lie that the EU is infringing our democracy, and also get's the maths wrong since there aren't 4 people in the average UK household.

8. "... 28 unelected plutocrats" - a repeat with of same tosh as point 4 but with the added drivel of asserting that they're "plutocrats". Commission positions are not bought and sold, they are the appointed representatives of elected governments; describing them as "plutocrats" is utter tosh.

9. And here's the fearmongering tosh: a claim that we will have to ditch the pound (false), our common law system (I have no idea where he is even getting that drivel from) and enter Shengen (which would be nice but we're not required to enter it). Interesting that this video admits that we currently have control of our borders.

So: a lot of waffle, a bunch of false claims, a few misleading claims and it's interesting that he doesn't even try to counter the claims that Brexit will damage our economy.

A nice animation doesn't cover up for bad copy.

Soldato
That is really their own fault. I bought a property about 12months ago and I only borrowed half of what I could have.
A. Because it was still enough to buy me a place I liked
B. Because of what you say above
C. Because I can pay off my mortgage in about 5 years if I really try.

That's all well and good when you have property available at half of what you can borrow. Saying it's 'their fault' house prices are high in sought after areas is a bit ridiculous. You HAVE to borrow up to your affordability in some cases because otherwise you couldn't get anywhere near being able to find a property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom