Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm quite prepared to believe we may be fractionally worse off economically by leaving. Don't care. I'd rather live in a democracy than a slightly richer oligarchy. At this point, even if I hadn't done my homework, I think I'd vote Leave just to spite everyone predicting doom and catastrophe.

I can see it if we stay, Europe is really going to stick it to us big time.

Caporegime
I think that's your preconceptions warping your view. I'm really not an authoritarian.

I'm not against referendums but asking Joe public to have the interest to learn about such a multi faceted debate and take all that information to come to a reasoned and well researched view point is an almost impossible ask.

People will vote based on fear, personalities and rhetoric which I think we can all agree is not ideal.

Indeed, when people are posting carp like this as truth and 'current News's or images from today...when it is in fact videos from two years ago :(

http://vidmax.com/video/140752-Batt...ut-war-zone-among-Muslims-and-French-citizens

It's a shame the out campaigners can't come up with anything other than lol-immigrants

Caporegime
Cameron came to our place and did a lovely 30 minute speech with a Q&A. By Q&A you had to submit your question for approval and if it was agreed you could ask it and it all looked improvised. :rolleyes:

If the person asked such a unchallenging question and couldn't make the Q&A some other lucky sod got to read it out for them. It was such an utter sham, reading our work forum it's pushed more people to exit due to feeling like they had their intelligence insulted and why he couldn't field actual tough questions without prep.

No one submit an easilt acceoted question then when it was thier turn stand up and ask a compeltley differnt one?

Caporegime
London School of Economics:

UK most outvoted country in EU parliament

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2...s-lose-most-often-in-the-european-parliament/

This is partly a reflection of the fact that a large number of MEPs from the UK do not sit in the most powerful political groups, while even those parties that do sit in important groups, such as Labour, tend to vote against their own allies’ positions more frequently than other MEPs.

Then there is figure 2 that seems to suggest UKIP are doing us no favours. Perhaps if we actually voted in MEP's that cared and actually turned up then that 35% would decrease...

Caporegime
Funny isn't it. The election will come down to cheap holidays and free roaming charges to remain. As it was discussed on, This Week.

And on the flip side the election will come down to the migration crisis and a turkish influx of migrants because of visa free movement in the Schlangen area... None of which are relevant at all to the UK.;)

In reality it's unlikely in both cases, but it's always good to put people who may vote differently to you down isn't it...:p

On an unrelated, more useful note.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/28/economists-reject-brexit-boost-cameron

Economists overwhelmingly reject Brexit in boost for Cameron

Poll shows 88% of 600 experts fear long-term fall in GDP if UK leaves single market, and 82% are alarmed over impact on household income

Nine out of 10 of the country’s top economists working across academia, the City, industry, small businesses and the public sector believe the British economy will be harmed by Brexit, according to the biggest survey of its kind ever conducted.

A poll commissioned for the Observer and carried out by Ipsos MORI, which drew responses from more than 600 economists, found 88% saying an exit from the EU and the single market would most likely damage Britain’s growth prospects over the next five years.

A striking 82% of the economists who responded thought there would probably be a negative impact on household incomes over the next five years in the event of a Leave vote, with 61% thinking unemployment would rise.

Those surveyed were members of the profession’s most respected representative bodies, the Royal Economic Society and the Society of Business Economists, and all who replied did so voluntarily.

And

https://www.theguardian.com/science...ers-2020-target-free-access-scientific-papers

l scientific papers to be free by 2020 under EU proposals

All publicly funded scientific papers published in Europe could be made free to access by 2020, under a “life-changing” reform ordered by the European Union’s science chief, Carlos Moedas.

The Competitiveness Council, a gathering of ministers of science, innovation, trade and industry, agreed on the target following a two-day meeting in Brussels last week.

The move means publications of the results of research supported by public and public-private funds would be freely available to and reusable by anyone. It could affect the paid-for subscription model used by many scientific journals, and undermine the common practice of releasing reports under embargo.

At present the results of some publicly funded research are not accessible to people outside universities and similar institutions without one-off payments, which means that many teachers, doctors, entrepreneurs and others do not have access to the latest scientific insights. In the UK, funding bodies generally require that researchers publish under open access terms, with open access publishing fees paid from the researcher’s grant.

Another big plus for the EU that is unlikely to ever have been decided by a British government.

Caporegime
wouldn't care if it cost me 10k a year and started WW3 (or whatever else project fear sprouted) Im still voting out!

I think you'll find that was thought up by the leave camp, not remain.:p

Cameron came to our place and did a lovely 30 minute speech with a Q&A. By Q&A you had to submit your question for approval and if it was agreed you could ask it and it all looked improvised. :rolleyes:

If the person asked such a unchallenging question and couldn't make the Q&A some other lucky sod got to read it out for them. It was such an utter sham, reading our work forum it's pushed more people to exit due to feeling like they had their intelligence insulted and why he couldn't field actual tough questions without prep.

Unfortunately that's pretty common when any senior figure goes to any company and discusses any topic. I assume it's because companies don't want to "embarrass" themselves by someone asking a difficult question (like an expenses question during the expenses "scandal").

How will they do that? It's not as though they can impose treaty change on us.

And it's not as if we can't then vote in a party (such as UKIP) that will give us another referendum in a few years, which we can vote out in.

Last edited:
Associate
I shouldn't have said shape, but I'm happy with the main thrust of what I said. We'd go from a meaningful influence to a negligible one.
I agree, we would lose some influence so there's no argument there as I'm willing to accept the point but you're not the only one who says it. The official in campaign was saying we'd have no influence as well so it's something that needs dispelling as one of those urban myths even if it is fair to acknowledge we'd lose some influence.

Some might be happier with a leave vote knowing that it's not an entire shut out of the EU though so it still has some merit to either sides view.

5%. And we are supposed to not worry? To ignore 'Project Fear'? Is preventing the arrival of a few a Poles and Romanians worth it given the huge risks involved?
Is a few pennies worth our sovereignity and independance? We can all make skewed arguments focusing on just single issues and apply them to disproportionate scales. The entire economy vs 1 or 2 romanians? Prob not but when we say our entire sovereignity vs a few pennies then yeah, lets vote out :p Total no brainer there :D

There's more to the argument though so lets keep it on a fair playing field.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You know, I've been really undecided on this vote but I genuinely think in absense of any strong opinion either way I'm going to have to vote remain to counterbalance the lunantic reasoning of some people voting leave.

Suspended
I think that's your preconceptions warping your view. I'm really not an authoritarian.

I'm not against referendums but asking Joe public to have the interest to learn about such a multi faceted debate and take all that information to come to a reasoned and well researched view point is an almost impossible ask.

People will vote based on fear, personalities and rhetoric which I think we can all agree is not ideal.

Despite that it is unacceptable to suggest they shouldn't have their say. We don't elect Government to decide everything because the electorate are too stupid or uninformed.

Associate
And on the flip side the election will come down to the migration crisis and a turkish influx of migrants because of visa free movement in the Schlangen area... None of which are relevant at all to the UK.;)

How do you work that out? If more migrants come to the continent, then over time the rules and regulations that govern the EU will come to reflect that, and will impact on the UK. Regardless of whether migrants coming to the EU is bad, neutral or good, you can not suppose their coming to, for example, Germany will have no impact on the UK due to how the single market operates. The main point is why is it a good for the UK to remain bound by an economic set of rules that have summarily failed to deliver economic growth (the EU's average economic growth rates have been poor compared with the USA), and locked in long term unemployment by failing to reform? The Euro experiment is probably one of the most daft economic experiments in the history of man. The EU represents one unholy mess, and we'd do well to distance ourselves from the desire to integrate into ever closer union (driven by the histories of some member states).

Associate
http://news.sky.com/story/1703817/nineteen-rescued-from-inflatable-boat-in-channel

Nineteen people rescued in the English Channel after their inflatable boat took on water are being questioned by immigration officials. "The castaways, who were migrants, called their families, who then alerted the authorities and rescue missions were triggered on both sides of the Channel."

Of course these migrants have no worry in being caught as they know full well once you're in you're in.
Now they've proved the crossing is viable no doubt the people smugglers will be ordering plenty of dinghies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom