Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Which comes back to a question I asked way back when: Are the public really going to be informed enough about the complexities of the EU to make a reasoned decision? The more this campaign goes on, the more I think absolutely not.

Which is why people will vote for the things to stay the same.

If someone is suggesting change and I don't understand that change, why would I vote for it?

The UK is fine for most people right now. The remain campaign don't really need to do anything. The leave campaign haven't really put a credible case forward other than focusing on ridiculous immigration predictions and the few billion membership costs the UK.

I think a more pertinent question that hopefully will be in most people's heads would be:

Do i want the UK to be absorbed into a European superstate?

Yes - vote remain
No - vote leave

Which is a leading question designed to get No. No to that question doesn't mean vote leave either.

The real question is, "Do I think there are good enough reasons to leave the EU?".

The referendum question will be:

http://www.electoralcommission.org....-referendum/eu-referendum-question-assessment

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

1. Remain a member of the European Union
2. Leave the European Union

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The queen has no power at all over parliament only the capacity to dissolve on the request of the people.

Then it goes back to government and a vote. The queen is a useless benefit scrounger just like her off spring.

The Queen has the final approval on all acts of Parliament, admittedly no act has been refused by the monarch for over 300 years but it's still a potential further check. It would almost certainly cause a constitutional crisis were the power to be used but if the monarch felt strongly enough about an act of Parliament to veto it then we've got pretty big problems anyway.

The Queen is also one of the most respected international diplomatic figures who gives us a lot of influence outside of our elected officials. You don't have to like the concept of a monarchy but your description of her as a benefit scrounger suggests you don't appreciate the role our monarch plays in the democratic and legislative process. However this is all well off topic by now since this isn't a referendum on who should be head of state and what they have to do in that role.

So 35% of the time we are forced to take regulations and rules or quotas we don't want, but that's okay because we are on the winning side 65% of the time.

Thats a fundamental flaw in the whole thing, We should choice what's best for us and leave the ****

I'm not convinced that we'd necessarily get what we wanted 100% of the time or even just a significantly higher percentage of the time than the current 65% (assumed the figure is correct for the sake of argument) were we to be outside of the EU. It's also worth considering that in terms of influence and likelihood of success the UK has a number of MEPs from UKIP who often either don't vote, don't play nicely with others or simply vote against the groups that are the closest approximation to their political leanings - in such situations it doesn't seem entirely surprising if the UK doesn't always get what we want.

I'd also have to wonder how realistic "what we want" is at times (e.g. if the UK demands something that benefits us only for the sake of political point scoring then is that reasonable or could/should an alternative be found that benefits more) and how often the UK manages to secure compromises either at that point or for further down the line.

UK is the most outvoted, sure we still 'win' 65% of the time, doesn't change that statistic.

The UK actually has no representation in the majority EU parliament party at the moment because the Conservatives refuse to join it, and started a smaller conservative group instead.

Snipped for space.

Do you happen to know which group do UKIP fit into? And how often do they a) vote and b) vote for what the "UK" wants? I'm only asking because if we're going to complain about not getting what we want we should consider whether our elected representatives are actually taking part in the process sufficiently to give us a chance to get what we want.

Caporegime
Which comes back to a question I asked way back when: Are the public really going to be informed enough about the complexities of the EU to make a reasoned decision? The more this campaign goes on, the more I think absolutely not.

No I don't think they (us the public) will be informed enough to make a reasoned decision.

Soldato
I don't think so. I think when it comes down to it it will play out like this in most people's heads.

Do I like Johnny Foreigner?
No - vote leave
Yes - vote remain

I just hope I'm wrong and that people are able to actually weigh up the pros and cons of everything.

Do you have much interaction with Johnny foreigner in Twyford? I stayed at my friends house in Wokingham a few years back (more of a mansion really), and I don't think you're probably as culturally enlightened as, for example, my work friend who lives in Harehills in Leeds (he's just down sized his house to a 1 bedroom flat simply to get out of the area).

Thug
Soldato

In fairness your whole perspective (dressed up nearly of course) is one of an authoritarian nature.

Not sure if thats the german coming out in you or just the police part...

Associate
I have my postal vote in my grubby mitts. Up until this very second, I have always been Leave but I really now don't know at this critical instant!

What's changed pal? If you was always leave?

Think it will come down to gut feeling with a lot of people to be honest and with that we will stay unfortunately :mad:

Associate
I would just go with whatever the May Overclockers EU referendum poll result is

.... :)

If you tick Remain then someone else (whose unelected!) decides what changes are made in the future whereas if you tick Leave then you elect the people who make these decisions.

Associate
Do the Swiss want the deal they have? No. Would the majority of Brexit folk be happy with a deal like Norway or Switzerland? I'd suggest not, given the free movement of people part of both of their deals. Perhaps it's not so simple? :eek:

Bigger economy better deal. And if the negotiatators don't get a better deal they are useless. There is no excuse.

I think you will find Norway and Switzerland are more happy with there deal than wanting to get buggered by signing up to the EU.

V F

V F

Soldato
Do the Swiss want the deal they have? No. Would the majority of Brexit folk be happy with a deal like Norway or Switzerland? I'd suggest not, given the free movement of people part of both of their deals. Perhaps it's not so simple? :eek:

Funny isn't it. The election will come down to cheap holidays and free roaming charges to remain. As it was discussed on, This Week.

Soldato
Funny isn't it. The election will come down to cheap holidays and free roaming charges to remain. As it was discussed on, This Week.

I find it bizarre because when I went to Turkey the Visa was £5 on arrival, and roaming charges in Spain are still very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom