LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
I recently bought a few of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-golf-ball-coated-led-lamp-white-ses-6w/3264g to replace my standard filament bulbs in my lounge which are hooked up to a dimmer switch. I replaced all three bulbs and the new LEDs go full brightness, flicker then go quite dim. Its the same if i have 2 bulbs in but with 1 and the two existing bulbs it works fine albeit there is a bit of a buzz from the LED. I just have an old standard white dimmer switch but this will be replaced with a new LAP dimmer to match (need to cut / fold part of the back box so it fits). Anyone else had this issue at all?

Its just your dimmer switch not being able to cope with the lower load.

Soldato
Hi

What is the ideal temperature of an led bulb if I want a warm white effect?

I have got some small golf ball type bulbs that say 2700k but although they are fine they do seem to give off a slight yellow effect.

I have a bulb upstairs that is the same but is rated at 3000k which was stated as a warm white bulb when I bought it, but it gives off a nicer cool white effect.

Trying to get all bulbs giving off the same colour but did not expect such a change from a 2700k bulb and 3000k one. The 3000k I would still class as warm white but it just looks a lot better without giving off a yellow tint and also not looking to clinical.

I think I might get 3000k rated bulbs in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
without reading the whole thread, how long do cheap LED's last? ive just paid £11.50 for 10 from ebay and that's to replace 3 in the lights that get left on all night while im at work!!! 3 lights with 3 bulbs per fitting. as long as they last a year ill be happy, 3.5w each instead of 28w per bulb over the course of a night should be a healthy yearly saving

Caporegime

Sui

Sui

Soldato
without reading the whole thread, how long do cheap LED's last? ive just paid £11.50 for 10 from ebay and that's to replace 3 in the lights that get left on all night while im at work!!! 3 lights with 3 bulbs per fitting. as long as they last a year ill be happy, 3.5w each instead of 28w per bulb over the course of a night should be a healthy yearly saving

Knowing some of the horrendous lamps that are provided on eBay, there is no way I would want them left running all night unattended.

If you were to buy proper quality branded ones, you're looking at anything from 15,000 to 40,000+ hours. The cheap ones may last and may be fine, but I'm pretty sure there are safety issues with some of the cheap eBay stuff.

Soldato
Quick Help needed please.

Just in the process of sorting out the nursery.

Bought a light fitting from Ikea.

Takes 3 ES (large) screw bulbs. Max 57W

We bought today from Screwfix for £9.99 a pack of 5 GLS LED Light Bulbs
806 Lumens. 8.7W=60W per bulb. Non dimmable. Cool White.

I have taken 2 of the bulbs out and still far too bright.

Anyhow. Far too bright. Like a football stadium.

I will take them back for a refund from Screwfix. But what 'Watt' would you recommend for what I have?

I am thinking 25W bulbs now?

Any ideas?

Thank you

Soldato
I need to buy 16 gu10 led lights, what are we saying nowadays for these? i tried some a few years ago and the light output felt very fake / cold.

This is for our on suite, main bedroom, hall and landing.

Man of Honour
Quick Help needed please.

Just in the process of sorting out the nursery.

Bought a light fitting from Ikea.

Takes 3 ES (large) screw bulbs. Max 57W

We bought today from Screwfix for £9.99 a pack of 5 GLS LED Light Bulbs
806 Lumens. 8.7W=60W per bulb. Non dimmable. Cool White.

I have taken 2 of the bulbs out and still far too bright.

Anyhow. Far too bright. Like a football stadium.

I will take them back for a refund from Screwfix. But what 'Watt' would you recommend for what I have?

I am thinking 25W bulbs now?

Any ideas?

Thank you

8.7w is pretty bright and doesn't help being cool white either. Go for a warm white 4-4.5w which is 40w equivalent.

Associate
I got 10 of the trillion G4 lamps the other day for a main light fitting. THey dont half get hot! To the point that they go off for around 30 seconds and then come back on. Quite odd watching them going off one at a time.

Am thinking perhaps that they are overheating so next step is to go for some round heatsinks from work and see if i can start to calm them down.

Has anyone else seen this with these or any other G4 led replacements?

Soldato
I got 10 of the trillion G4 lamps the other day for a main light fitting. THey dont half get hot! To the point that they go off for around 30 seconds and then come back on. Quite odd watching them going off one at a time.

Am thinking perhaps that they are overheating so next step is to go for some round heatsinks from work and see if i can start to calm them down.

Has anyone else seen this with these or any other G4 led replacements?

Another member on here skillmister noticed some of his bulbs getting very hot which he got from trillion as well.

I was going to get some, but not sure now.

Strange.

Caporegime
I need to buy 16 gu10 led lights, what are we saying nowadays for these? i tried some a few years ago and the light output felt very fake / cold.

This is for our on suite, main bedroom, hall and landing.

The GU10s from Amazon I linked to a few posts up have been great for me. Much warmer than other lights I've seen.

Soldato
These: http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gls-led-lamps-white-bc-8-7w-5-pack/2330j

Any recommendations for low wattage candle bulbs. I'll be needing 9. 5 for the middle pendant and two each for the wall lights. I don't want things to be too bright. Been looking at the Philips bulbs like these: http://www.thelightbulbshop.co.uk/S...bqCS5dTClnhzVMadbadTXWuoh4o9Ub8bQKRoCPBTw_wcB

Any experience with these? But I still fear at 4W they may be too bright? Any ideas?

Alternatively I've seen these at 2w: http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-candle-led-lamp-clear-ses-2w/3455f

Associate
Putting heatsinks on the G$ lamps has stopped them from flashing. I only managed to source red ones though so it looks like i will have to start looking for perspex windows and loas of brightly coloured pipes to connect to my radiators next!

or am I doing this watercooling thing wrong? :)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Bit of advice needed if I may.

I've got a 4 way track fitting that use 4 GU10 LED's, and I want to switch them out for dimmable bulbs, 5w GU10's in there at the mo. I will also need to replace the switch.

Any recommendations on the bulbs and replacement dimmer switch?

I've read good things about this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007OU39...lid=2RM0I96N9FYQH&coliid=I1F9QIXHAZB5HN&psc=1

As for the bulbs, I was going to order from LED Hut but seems they've been getting some stick recently, any other options you would recommend?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom