LED Bulb Thread

Sui

Sui

Soldato
http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/free-5-screwfix-voucher-months-magazine-2409788

http://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight...va/94816#product_additional_details_container

Just a heads up if not in a rush for a dimmer and want to attempt to save a few £! It's the same one as Amazon, it is the one to go for.

In terms of LED's, I think you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap, you'll probably have to buy more than once.

As far as I know, the LAP ones at Screwfix are a good price for what you get.

Soldato
Friend of mine ordered some Crompton GU10's on my recommendation as I will be ordering around 100 for our new house.

He said they are great and stopped the buzzing coming from the dimmer etc...

He bought them from Simply LED.

Andy

Soldato
LED Hut - avoid like the plague

I had a good experience with them last year, I returned some items as they were not suitable for what I wanted (not their fault) and it was no hassle at all.

The bulbs also seemed good. However at least 2 that I can remember have since broken, or not so much broken but the plastic cover (what would be the glass on a normal bulb) have come off. Not good! I've just glued them back on and they are fine, but I'll not be buying from them again. Seems many have been having support issues with them recently too.

Associate
I've been waiting for a replacement bulb since the 7th when they accepted my request for a different bulb. On the 9th I got an out of stock email. Stock is apparently now due on the 18th.

Associate
Just got my replacement today. Must say the new bulb is certainly an improvement over the one it replaced. The stats suggest it's less lumens but there's just no way. This area of the kitchen is now brighter. I'm also impressed that the new bulb only has 4 LED's inside where as the one it replaced had 24.
The price I noticed is also about half the price of the old one. I guess prices have gone down now that LED bulbs are much more common?

New = £3.49
Old = £6.82

Associate
I took a chance at these Asda GU10 LEDs (Warm White) which were reduced to £10, I'm very impressed with them and going to pick up another box tomorrow :)

xnaolg.jpg

a14wlt.jpg

mw5lwn.jpg

Soldato
Any recommendations of where to get decent bulbs from?

Moving house soon and am going to leave the ones in the current house for the buyer.

Need all sorts as will be kitting out the whole house. Used LED Hut last time.

Permabanned
At last, some decent LED bulbs from a bigshed.
B&Q do their own brand, Diall, who are just a subcontract to Osram, and they now do a 100W eqv LED which is actually just like a 100W filament.
I bought 7 of the 75W GLS LEDs because they were on clearance for £7, 100W ones were £10.

Also some packs of three 5W GU10's from Philips @ £12
they really are exactly like my 50W halogens, except they don't dim.

Soldato
Clearance at £7 each?!!!

You can get 5 for a tenner at Screwfix. You can even get a Philips 60w equiv for £5.50 each from Screwfix too. Plenty bright enough.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Clearance at £7 each?!!!

You can get 5 for a tenner at Screwfix. You can even get a Philips 60w equiv for £5.50 each from Screwfix too. Plenty bright enough.

2nd this, i have bought literally hundreds of LED's from screwfix now, they seem decent.

I have had one fail on me, but being screwfix it is a very quick visit to swap it. This is the main attraction as they come with a long warranty too.

Permabanned

Yep but those are only 60W, I don't want murky 60W, I'm not a cave troll :p

You have to pay exponentially more if you want a brighter light, the Philips 100W ones are £12 in B&Q

Screwfix don't appear to do anything brighter than 60W, and 100W ones from Simply LED are £20.
I'll probably be going back for some 100W GLS E27 for my own house next week, so I'd be interested in anyone doing them for less than £12.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
2nd this, i have bought literally hundreds of LED's from screwfix now, they seem decent.

I have had one fail on me, but being screwfix it is a very quick visit to swap it. This is the main attraction as they come with a long warranty too.

With LEDs, the higher priced ones generally look nicer and are built to a higher quality.

The ones from Screwfix are fine though really, I wouldn't trust the multiple cheap online places from some of the samples I've seen imported at work!

Back
Top Bottom