LED Bulb Thread

Man of Honour
Too good to be true almost. I intend to order someof GU10s and Candles tonight so will see what they are like.

The GU10's are excellent. I have some in the kitchen over the dining table. I went for the warm white 50w replacements but they seem much brighter than the 50w Halogens they replaced. You don't get cooked by them like you did with the halogens either. :D

I also bought screw and bayonet SLS bulbs and golf balls, all in warm white and I am very pleased with them all.

Associate
Replaced 40 bulbs/fittings so far at my new house. So far I have reduced 1936 watts of lighting to 324 (a 1612 watt reduction). Mine are a mixture of Collingwood downlights and Integral bulbs purchased from a local trade place. I also have a few bits from LED Hut such as a 2D fitting in my utility room. Only 2 more fittings to replace which should knock about another 50 watts of the total!

Old
IMG_20151101_150716.jpg

New (several layers of boxes of LED's):
IMG_20151101_150746.jpg

Where is good to get some LED strip lighting (just plain white) and fittings for under my kitchen counters? It will be wired in, not plugged in. What is the new best place to buy from as LED hut seem to be getting a lot of flak at the moment?

Dave

Soldato
Yeah not led Hut. I've returned a set because they were faulty and I'm still awaiting a refund. I've just emailed them about it because it has been long enough now. Standard response: "dear customer, please confirm your order number"..... IT'S THE ONE THAT IS QUOTED IN THIS LONG CHAIN OF EMAILS WE HAVE HAD GOING THE PAST FEW WEEKS!!

Soldato
I'm looking to buy some LED GU10 bulbs for the kitchen and some regular bayonet LED bulbs for the main light fittings around the house. The problem is there's such a huge range of brands and reading through this thread it seems the quality varies a lot, to the point where there's even some safety issues.

I've noticed I can get GU10 bulbs for about £2 each buying bulk on Amazon or CPC, but these are either unbranded or lesser known brands. Well known brands like Philips etc tend to be £5 or £6+ a bulb.

Is it the case of you get what you pay for, or are there some bargains to be had from lesser known brands that are still safe and reliable?

Associate
I replaced 10 halogens in our kitchen with these GU10 LEDs recently and I'm really pleased with them. They're just as bright if not slightly brighter than the old bulbs and to be honest I reckon the 6W ones would have been fine. I've had the 6W bulbs in our main bathroom for nearly a year and they've been spot on.

They often run 15/25% off codes and I used the new year's 25% off code when I bought these bulbs.

Soldato
cool, please let us know how you find them.:)

Arrived yesterday so had a quick test last night.

Initial thoughts on the 50w equivalent candles,excellent. Very bright, much more so than the 7w energy efficients they are replacing and the colour is absolutely spot on in terms of being warm white. Once the eco bulbs warm up they are almost identical in colour. However, they do get the thumbs down from the gf (and me) for being so bloody bright straight from turning on :p At 6am it's not going to be enjoyable! So I think I'll be leaving the eco bulbs in the 4 bulb fitting that gets turned on in the morning so they act as a sort of auto dimmer when turning on and replacing the other 6 lesser used ones with LEDs, and maybe even the 25w equivalent ones at that. Will be replacing all in the lounge though.

One point of note is that they do get quite hot, didn't think this was the norm with LEDs?

50w GU10s are slightly disappointing. A bit brighter than the halogens bur also noticeably whiter despite them being warm white. I could live with them but a thumbs down from the gf in the bathroom (changed 2 out of 4 which she's happy, just :o) Not tried in the kitchen yet,thays today's job but they may work better in there with the colour scheme. Not convinced they'll get the seal of approval though!

Soldato
Arrived yesterday so had a quick test last night.

Initial thoughts on the 50w equivalent candles,excellent. Very bright, much more so than the 7w energy efficients they are replacing and the colour is absolutely spot on in terms of being warm white. Once the eco bulbs warm up they are almost identical in colour. However, they do get the thumbs down from the gf (and me) for being so bloody bright straight from turning on :p At 6am it's not going to be enjoyable! So I think I'll be leaving the eco bulbs in the 4 bulb fitting that gets turned on in the morning so they act as a sort of auto dimmer when turning on and replacing the other 6 lesser used ones with LEDs, and maybe even the 25w equivalent ones at that. Will be replacing all in the lounge though.

One point of note is that they do get quite hot, didn't think this was the norm with LEDs?

50w GU10s are slightly disappointing. A bit brighter than the halogens bur also noticeably whiter despite them being warm white. I could live with them but a thumbs down from the gf in the bathroom (changed 2 out of 4 which she's happy, just :o) Not tried in the kitchen yet,thays today's job but they may work better in there with the colour scheme. Not convinced they'll get the seal of approval though!

Thanks for the feedback. I also thought LED do not get hot either??

The ones I received from LED hut eventually, were GU10 and they were 3.6w (35watt equivalent) they are perfect for smallish rooms where you don't want it super bright, they give off a nice warm colour as well.
Shame Im put off buying from there again, and most sites Ive seen so far don't seem to have a large selection of different wattage bulbs.

Soldato
I'm tempted to get some of the lower wattage GU10s to see if they are warmer. I'll probably be ordering from trillion again to get more of the candle ones as they seem good (although if they shouldn't be hot maybe not?!) so for the sake of a few quid it would be worth a try

Soldato
I have 10 x MR16/GU 5.3 that I'd like to change to LED for a cost saving exercise. What are your thoughts on the brand Kosnic, as I don't want to fork out a huge sum currently.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently bought a few of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-golf-ball-coated-led-lamp-white-ses-6w/3264g to replace my standard filament bulbs in my lounge which are hooked up to a dimmer switch. I replaced all three bulbs and the new LEDs go full brightness, flicker then go quite dim. Its the same if i have 2 bulbs in but with 1 and the two existing bulbs it works fine albeit there is a bit of a buzz from the LED. I just have an old standard white dimmer switch but this will be replaced with a new LAP dimmer to match (need to cut / fold part of the back box so it fits). Anyone else had this issue at all?

Back
Top Bottom