LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
I've used the Screwfix LAP ones for approaching 2 years now (back when they were a getting on for a tenner each), i've not had a single failure and really can't fault them. I'd prefer to be able to get a cooler colour temp, but I can see why they produce them to look like what people are used to. I joked at the time that this is probably the second to last lot of light bulbs i'd ever have to buy.

For strip lights at work we used Any-Lamp and fitted Phillips budget/value tubes, they've been a revelation as despite the office having no windows or natural light, you don't notice as I spec'd daylight colour temp. It's also handy that we don't have any UV fade now.

The running costs per day on our office lights are down to circa 25p/day vs £1.08 (they were more like £2.16 given the office and workshop lights were on the same circuit at the time).

Caporegime
Just filled the holes left from some old R80 cans with the Enlite EN-DL10. Dimmable versions are available.

Previously this hole had a 50w halogen in and one of those adapter plate things to make it fit. Beam angle was all wrong and the fitting + adapter looked pretty bad anyway, hence the fitting change. They are dirt cheap (£12) and feel well built and the light quality is excellent (I picked the 3k version) - Enlite are an Aurora brand with a focus on giving you no options at all which keeps the price low.

Obviously the best option would have been to make more holes and spray some smaller fittings around before patching the old holes and painting the ceiling again but that's a larger time and cost commitment.

Soldato
Yep but those are only 60W, I don't want murky 60W, I'm not a cave troll :p

You have to pay exponentially more if you want a brighter light, the Philips 100W ones are £12 in B&Q

Screwfix don't appear to do anything brighter than 60W, and 100W ones from Simply LED are £20.
I'll probably be going back for some 100W GLS E27 for my own house next week, so I'd be interested in anyone doing them for less than £12.

Believe it or not, when I moved in to my new house, the family before had a 150w bulb in the dining room. My 60w equiv LED bulb is less bright yes, but not by far. At least its not noticeable. 60w is fineeeeee! ;)

Caporegime
If you need a 150w light bulb for your room to not feel dark then you either need to not paint the walls black and fill it with dark coloured furniture, or you need more fittings. Increasing brightness is a game of rapidly diminishing returns and horrible shadows.

Soldato
Believe it or not, when I moved in to my new house, the family before had a 150w bulb in the dining room. My 60w equiv LED bulb is less bright yes, but not by far. At least its not noticeable. 60w is fineeeeee! ;)

If you need a 150w light bulb for your room to not feel dark then you either need to not paint the walls black and fill it with dark coloured furniture, or you need more fittings. Increasing brightness is a game of rapidly diminishing returns and horrible shadows.

Considering it was a dining room im going to guess that it isnt painted black, but it probably only has one fitting in an old ceiling rose

Soldato
LED Hut - avoid like the plague

I've found them to be good and their customer service was excellent! I've ordered loads from them for my new house and had two die on me (mainly my fault for using them on the old dimmer before I got around to replacing it). They swapped them out no problems, next day delivery and didn't even ask for the old ones back!

Caporegime
It's a shame you want a 4000k because honestly Ikea are smashing it out of the park at the moment with the quality of their LED lamps and the pricing. They're all ES as well due to it being what Europe uses, but they are all 2700k.

Soldato
Most of my LED hut B22 bulbs broke either within a few weeks or have failed since. I noticed they can get quite hot. One exploded it's plastic case off recently and hit a family member. Not very impressed at all. I can't be bothered to send them back and I don't want replacements. Thinking of trying something better when moving house soon.

I did enjoy using a cool white bulb for kitchen and bathroom. 2700k just seemed to yellow for LED in those rooms.

Associate
I did enjoy using a cool white bulb for kitchen and bathroom. 2700k just seemed to yellow for LED in those rooms.

I am the same and in fact now hate anything less than 3000K no matter what the room. I just wish we had more bulbs around 3500k.

For now I've now ended up with 3000K everywhere except kitchen, bathrooms and cupboards where I've got 3800K/4000K. I did have some 3400K bulbs but they were unreliable so had to give up with those.

With the correct brightness they're great and people often remark how nice our lighting is but are surprised when I tell them its because of the whiter bulbs as they assume 2700K warm white is best.

Caporegime
I agree on the 3000k thing - it's halogen temperature as opposed to standard incandescent and takes the yellow 'dirty' tinge off things, but doesn't leave your rooms looking like an office building.

Caporegime
I am putting a new ceiling in a galley kitchen 2.5m x 5m and need new fittings and downlight bulbs, any recommendations on where is best for these. The Aurora ones have been recommended but im not sure the angle is wide enough at 60degrees

Also how many should I need for this, currently it have 4 x E14 R50 3W LED bulbs.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi all,

Can someone can confirm that a triple gang light switch, with a max of 300W like this would be ok for running:

Gang 1 (Kitchen) = 8 x 6.6W Leds (8.6W including driver) = 68.8W
Gang 2 (Dining Room) = 6 x 6.6W Leds (8.6W including driver) = 51.6W
Gang 3 (Drining Room Pendants) = 2 x 10W Leds = 10W

Total = 130.4W

I am being told by another that you need to consider the LED's equivalent wattage, eg 50W per bulb which I am sure is not correct?!

The bulbs I am looking at are Ecoled ZEP1 like this

Anything else I should be considering?

Soldato
I'm looking for a decent G9 replacement. Our light fitment has 5x halogen 25w G9s. I replaced them all with these 40w equivalents and they're not actually as bright as the halogens! They don't cast light as far either.

Back
Top Bottom