Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
InsomniaCalls said:
You can get a rough estimate at your max speed here.
Thanks for the link, it tells me that my area would get 4Mbit or higher which is fine for me as I'd be paying a lot less than I am for 4Mbit with Virgina right now. I also wouldn't have to worry about throttling. :)

Psypher5 said:
remeber thats only adsl, not adsl2 :)
Do you happen to know what speed I'd get with ADSL2 if I'm in an area that gets 4Mbit+ on ADSL?

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
Thanks for the link, it tells me that my area would get 4Mbit or higher which is fine for me as I'd be paying a lot less than I am for 4Mbit with Virgina right now. I also wouldn't have to worry about throttling. :)

Do you happen to know what speed I'd get with ADSL2 if I'm in an area that gets 4Mbit+ on ADSL?

no :(

depends on distance, line quality, allsorts I spose.

be said ill get abour 9meg (1.5km away), they also told my mate this (hes same dist from exchange etc) and he gets ~13/15meg.

you only seem to drift off the scale when your hitting 4/5km away, but then you still get 4meg or so

Soldato
Van Diemen said:
This Traffic management as they call it has already started in my area. Im on 10meg & its been solid ever since Iv had it. but for the last 4 days Im seeing 4-5meg after 4pm. Thats just balls

You should only be seeing 4-5meg at 4pm if youve download over 3gb between 4-midnight that day. So at 4pm you should still be receving 10/20mb, its only when you download over 3gb between those times that you connection speed drops to 5mb for 4hrs.

Soldato
ScoobyDoo said:
You should only be seeing 4-5meg at 4pm if youve download over 3gb between 4-midnight that day. So at 4pm you should still be receving 10/20mb, its only when you download over 3gb between those times that you connection speed drops to 5mb for 4hrs.
You can theoretically cover 3GB in 9 minutes on 20Mbit, 15-20min is more realistic though.

Still, it's saturated far too quickly and is a completely idiotic cap.

Soldato
Van Diemen said:
This Traffic management as they call it has already started in my area. Im on 10meg & its been solid ever since Iv had it. but for the last 4 days Im seeing 4-5meg after 4pm. Thats just balls

If you're still on 10meg then it hasn't started. Fergal Butler (one of VM's managers) has said it'll only be implemented when the 20meg is done in your area.

Associate
as said before, just set ya DL to go arfter peaks, daytime etc. I think I am in the 5% and tbh been slow DL for last year in peak time, Ive just adjusted.

Soldato
How can they warrant the 2quid increase in price then as the service isnt really getting any better, i hate the way they make out as if hardly anyone on the XL package downloads lots, banding 5% figures about. Why the hell would anyone be on 20meg for emails and web browsing? Its utter shash.

Commissario
you can still download nearly 50% more a day if you're carful - remember the limit is only in place for 8 hours a day and still lets you download at 5mb/s

A few calculations tell me that at
5mb/s you could theoretically get 54GB a day, or 2.3GB an hour
10mb/s you could theoretically get 108GB a day, or 4.5GB an hour
20mb/s you could theoretically get 216GB a day, or 9GB an hour

With this throttling you could theoretically get 162GB+ a day*, I make that about a 55% increase on the old 10mb speeds - so hardly "no improvement".

I personally don't know anyone who needs that much a day for normal usage, I personally would prefer bandwidth throttling with the extra speed "off peak" ensuring I get a decent connection for gaming etc in the evening than any of the alternatives (bandwidth caps, very poor connection due to the people that cannot hold off downloading the latest DVD's for a few hours/limit their speeds voluntarily).

*If you play it you could probably squeeze another 3-4gb out of it

Soldato
schnipps said:
How can they warrant the 2quid increase in price then as the service isnt really getting any better, i hate the way they make out as if hardly anyone on the XL package downloads lots, banding 5% figures about. Why the hell would anyone be on 20meg for emails and web browsing? Its utter shash.

My thoughts exactly

Soldato
Werewolf said:
you can still download nearly 50% more a day if you're carful - remember the limit is only in place for 8 hours a day and still lets you download at 5mb/s

A few calculations tell me that at
5mb/s you could theoretically get 54GB a day, or 2.3GB an hour
10mb/s you could theoretically get 108GB a day, or 4.5GB an hour
20mb/s you could theoretically get 216GB a day, or 9GB an hour

With this throttling you could theoretically get 162GB+ a day*, I make that about a 55% increase on the old 10mb speeds - so hardly "no improvement".

I personally don't know anyone who needs that much a day for normal usage, I personally would prefer bandwidth throttling with the extra speed "off peak" ensuring I get a decent connection for gaming etc in the evening than any of the alternatives (bandwidth caps, very poor connection due to the people that cannot hold off downloading the latest DVD's for a few hours/limit their speeds voluntarily).

*If you play it you could probably squeeze another 3-4gb out of it

Agreed, this shaping won't affect me.

Back
Top Bottom