£10,000 And I Don't Want It!! Arrghhhh!

Soldato
Jeez OP, stop being so emo. There are people in desperate need of money and someone just comes along and drops it in your lap. If you really don't want it then give it to someone on these boards at random, or better still: charity.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Is this thread for real?!

If I won the lottery or was rich, the first thing I would do would be to give cash to all my friends, about £10k actually (i thought of this when i was dreaming about the £146m euro lottery :D).

Surely you would too?!

Man of Honour
While if I ever got to the point of being pretty fabulously wealthy I suspect I'd quite like to give a bit of money to my friends and family I can easily understand that it might present a dilemma to them at the same time - there might be a feeling that you're trying to buy friendship or that they'll then owe you something, it's almost certainly not the intention here for you to feel like that but it can be very difficult to rationalise feelings.

I don't know what I would do if I was given £10k by a friend, I'd appreciate that they were trying to help me and share the wealth so to speak but I think I might well feel obligated to give it to charity - I've done nothing much to deserve the money, I'd be friends with them regardless and provided I didn't desperately need the money at the time I imagine there are plenty of other people who do need it more than me. There's no right or wrong here, it's based on how you (and your wife) feel.

Soldato
If you dont want it pass it onto someone who does. I can think of a lot of charities, theres a great one called 'bushmins new computer fund', i can pass on the details if you want.

Soldato
If you don't want it the you have 2 options really:

1) Give it charity and help other people who need it.
2) Don't cash it in and destroy it.

If it was me I'd cash it in and treat the family, I'm sure he would like to see you happy.

Soldato
Cash it, enjoy it. You have one seriously cool friend and he obviously thinks the same of you by giving you that money for a treat, don't offend him and turn it down!

Associate
I think the problem here is he has given you a gift of cash and this clashes with most guys desire to want to be the provider for their family.

If he had booked your family on a 10 grand cruise and sent you the tickets you would accept them without a second thought because they are just a gift.

Either way he has given you 10 grand.

Put pride aside, cash the check and go and do something nice with/for the family.

It will make both of you much happier in the long run.

Soldato
You know it could be a test. If I was rich and wanted to know whether an old friend had come out of the woodworks because he's found out I'm rich or is being genuine, £10k wouldn't be too bad a way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom