£10,000 And I Don't Want It!! Arrghhhh!

Caporegime
You know it could be a test. If I was rich and wanted to know whether an old friend had come out of the woodworks because he's found out I'm rich or is being genuine, £10k wouldn't be too bad a way to do it.

Only works if the OP contacted him first.

If the friend contacted the OP then it won't make sense.

Or just cash the cheque and don't spend it but if ever he brings it up, you guys have an argument in the future you can give it straight back.

Man of Honour
If you don't want it the you have 2 options really:

1) Give it charity and help other people who need it.
2) Don't cash it in and destroy it.

If it was me I'd cash it in and treat the family, I'm sure he would like to see you happy.

I don't think option 2 is really an option. If you don't want it, make sure a charity has it. 10k could go a long way to help people.

Permabanned
hmmm, if i were loaded I wouldnt be with yorkshire bank, id have a private account with coutts or something

tempted to call this one

Soldato
Give £100 to each ocuker posting in this thread :D Free GPU upgrades for everyone!

But seriously it sounds like he was happy to see you again and had a great night, if you were in his shoes (earning that much money etc) I'm pretty sure you would do a similar gesture to an old friend if you had more money than you could spend!

Soldato
While if I ever got to the point of being pretty fabulously wealthy I suspect I'd quite like to give a bit of money to my friends and family I can easily understand that it might present a dilemma to them at the same time - there might be a feeling that you're trying to buy friendship or that they'll then owe you something, it's almost certainly not the intention here for you to feel like that but it can be very difficult to rationalise feelings.

I don't know what I would do if I was given £10k by a friend, I'd appreciate that they were trying to help me and share the wealth so to speak but I think I might well feel obligated to give it to charity - I've done nothing much to deserve the money, I'd be friends with them regardless and provided I didn't desperately need the money at the time I imagine there are plenty of other people who do need it more than me. There's no right or wrong here, it's based on how you (and your wife) feel.

You're looking at it the wrong way round.

Imagine you were the wealthy guy.

He obviously already has the materialistic things ie the house and car and im guessing once you've got all these things its harder to get a kick out of money and giving it away is probably the "high" that he gets similar to when a less well off person buys something for themselves.

Also i get the impression that the OP got in touch with him not realising he was wealthy and just wanted to make contact with an old mate.

TBH the OP and the weathy guy both sound like good guys and the OP should enjoy the cash and accept it in the spirit it was given.

Man of Honour
You're looking at it the wrong way round.

Imagine you were the wealthy guy.

He obviously already has the materialistic things ie the house and car and im guessing once you've got all these things its harder to get a kick out of money and giving it away is probably the "high" that he gets similar to when a less well off person buys something for themselves.

Also i get the impression that the OP got in touch with him not realising he was wealthy and just wanted to make contact with an old mate.

TBH the OP and the weathy guy both sound like good guys and the OP should enjoy the cash and accept it in the spirit it was given.

I have imagined myself to be the wealthy one in such a scenario, I can still see why it would cause the recipient to feel uncomfortable.

I have no reason to doubt the donors motives or that he'd feel good about albert receiving the money and spending it on something that he wants but the donor has to remember that they might be putting the recipient in an awkward position. I didn't think that albert got in touch with his mate expecting anything to come from it except to renew an acquaintance but what you're effectively saying that the wealthy persons whims (however well intentioned) should override those of his friend because he finds it difficult to get a kick out of his money now.

I have considered this from more than one angle and I can understand why it's an issue, as I stated before there's not a right or a wrong answer here but it depends on what albert and his wife feel.

Caporegime
I'd take it, you're more likely to offend if you don't.

That is absolutely juvenile and risible logic. If you (and I mean anyone, I know you are not the OP) don't want to take 10'000 then you DON'T TAKE IT. It's YOUR principles and self-respect that matter, not his, and it is more offensive of him to presume it upon himself to not only ask to take the money, but to leave it on the mantelpiece after being told that you don't want it. It's presumptuous, it's arrogant, it's disrespectful, and I personally would not take it if, as the OP said, he refused multiple times, I was not absolutely desperate for cash, and me and the missus has good jobs.

If you cash it, cash it for the right reasons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom