£10,000 And I Don't Want It!! Arrghhhh!

Soldato
I have imagined myself to be the wealthy one in such a scenario, I can still see why it would cause the recipient to feel uncomfortable.

I have no reason to doubt the donors motives or that he'd feel good about albert receiving the money and spending it on something that he wants but the donor has to remember that they might be putting the recipient in an awkward position. I didn't think that albert got in touch with his mate expecting anything to come from it except to renew an acquaintance but what you're effectively saying that the wealthy persons whims (however well intentioned) should override those of his friend because he finds it difficult to get a kick out of his money now.

I have considered this from more than one angle and I can understand why it's an issue, as I stated before there's not a right or a wrong answer here but it depends on what albert and his wife feel.

No not at all. Sorry, my reply came across very curt when i didnt mean to.

I totally get what you are saying but i would hope that the fact that they are friends would overcome the awkwardness of accepting the cash.

Soldato
Put it in a trust fund that can only be accessed in the event of some catastrophic event. That way, you're not spending it, but your mate can still turn your life around when you need it most.

Even if you cark it and it goes to your kids (or their legal guardian on their behalf), then he's made a difference that he can be proud of.

Associate
Cash the cheque.

If you feel bad about spending the money either put it into savings or open savings accounts for your kids for when they get old enough.

Or treat yourself an family to the best holiday/christmas ever :D

Caporegime
Just stick it in the bank for a few years if you're scared he's going to turn up one day asking for your first born in return.

Caporegime
Cash it in, and buy him something to say thanks its helped a lot.

That will make you not feel so bad, he wouldn't of done it if he didn't care.

What did it have to do with "caring". The OP and his wife have good jobs, they refused the money, and the guy glibly said that he makes 4k a day so its nothing to him. They also haven't seen each-other in 15 years. "Caring" had nothing to do with it, he gave it like a sweetie, there was no emotion.

Im not against the OP cashing the cheque if he wants or needs the money, only if he says he doesnt want it (as said in the title)... and judging from some of the posts in this thread some people need to mature and get out in the world a bit more, if they think that amere 10k is an automatic throwaway of your self-respect and dignity.

OP, rip it up and get on with your life. Problem over.

Soldato
If you are that arsed about it split it up between your kids savings accounts for college/uni. It will gain interest in the meantime and your mate can be "high" in the knowledge he is helping your kids out, like any "uncle" would do. This is of course on the basis that you have kids :)

Or on the other hand, give it to me :p

Associate
Cash it in and then just give the money to charity. He won't be offended (he'll think you kept it) and you do a good thing that could help a lot of people.

Soldato
wipe your arse with it, you're not a charity case*

* of course, i am not being serious. take the kids to disney world. you're a fool if you don't.

Soldato
What did it have to do with "caring". The OP and his wife have good jobs, they refused the money, and the guy glibly said that he makes 4k a day so its nothing to him. They also haven't seen each-other in 15 years. "Caring" had nothing to do with it, he gave it like a sweetie, there was no emotion.

Im not against the OP cashing the cheque if he wants or needs the money, only if he says he doesnt want it (as said in the title)... and judging from some of the posts in this thread some people need to mature and get out in the world a bit more, if they think that amere 10k is an automatic throwaway of your self-respect and dignity.

OP, rip it up and get on with your life. Problem over.

You seem quite sure about how things were said. Were you there because you come across as knowing all about how his friend conducted himself. Maybe you have never had any good friends if a gesture like this is beyond you.

If the op can use the money to buy his kids somethin nice or go on a family holiday then I bet his friend would get a great kick out of it. Everyone is so pessimistic on this forum, looking for the worst in everyone.

Associate
Is your friendship for sale?

I would bury bodies for my friends, and for this reason I pick them very carefully.

I would find it very hard to keep the cash and avoid the feeling of owing this guy something.

Give him a call and talk it over, If he insists there is always the option of donating it to a charitable cause you both agree with. You both get the good feeling from helping others in need and he gets the knowledge that you can not be brought and if he is to re-kindle the friendships he cant just do it with a cheque.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom