• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anybody is arguing AMD have better Raytracing performance being one generation behind but the 6800XT and above cards Raytracing performance is not "crap" like you and others are making out.

Nobody for example argued 2080TI raytracing performance was crap before, it's still not crap just not as good as the newer gen from nvidia. If for example you plan to work on UE4's raytracing the 6000 is good enough. If you want to play that Cyberspunk flop at the ultra max RT settings in 4k you may be slightly disappointed.

QUAKE 2 RT, minecraft, fortnite, control, cyberpunk are RT games that AMD cards will struggle just top of my head, and yes, people been arguing that Nvidia TURING cards had bad raytracing performance since the very start lol

QUAKE 2 RT, minecraft, fortnite, control, cyberpunk are RT games that AMD cards will struggle just top of my head, and yes, people been arguing that Nvidia TURING cards had bad raytracing performance since the very start lol

We did not really have games like "Control VFX showcase" or "Cyberspunk" when Turing was released.

I will test QUAKE 2 RT performance later.

Yawn, Ray tracing performance that needs upscaling gimmicks that introduce their own IQ issues to get it to be usable in the small number of games that actually support it

With that performance I really don't have to use DLSS.

Of course the number of games that actually support ray tracing is small. It's new, next gen, tech that was only really viable with Ampere. BTW. That small number of games keeps growing, as does the games supporting DLSS :D

Yes you do.

Of course the number of games that actually support ray tracing is small. It's new, next gen, tech that was only really viable with Ampere. BTW. That small number of games keeps growing, as does the games supporting DLSS :D

Congrats on spaffing over dlss, introducing blurred image quality just to get some lighting and shadow effects that for the most part you'll barely notice.

Yes you do.

As you can see from my sig, I have a 3080 :rolleyes:

Congrats on spaffing over dlss, introducing blurred image quality just to get some lighting and shadow effects that for the most part you'll barely notice.

I personally use DLSS as it reduces GPU workload with no noticable in game loss to image quality. You can look back at the CP2077 thread where I posted many images. I was asked in there if it was DLSS on or off. I certainly notice the difference between raytracing and rasterisation, so do AMD, Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia, Sony, etc.

As you can see from my sig, I have a 3080 :rolleyes:

Congrats, it's still not fast enough to run most games that support rtx features without dlss.

I personally use DLSS as it reduces GPU workload with no noticable in game loss to image quality. You can look back at the CP2077 thread where I posted many images. I was asked in there if it was DLSS on or off. I certainly notice the difference between raytracing and rasterisation, so do AMD, Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia, Sony, etc.

Screenshots don't tell the full story, in a lot of instances the difference in iq is only noticeable when you're moving along in the game world where it can go from sharp when stationary to noticeably less so when on the move.

Obviously companies are jumping on the bandwagon with ray tracing as it's a forward looking feature that eventually will become standard in all games produced, that's quite a few years away yet.

I wouldn’t call Ray Tracing new, next gen tech. It’s been around for decades. It’s application in gaming is new however.

By the time the number of games supporting DLSS is significant AMD's DLSS-alternative which doesn't need machine learning to work will be released and those harboring an RDNA2 graphics card will be able to enjoy the new, resolution-based performance improving tech as well

Ah, so DLSS will be good when AMD can do something similar... :cry:

The sad fact is that RDNA2 just doesn't have the silicon to compete in next gen. Maybe when RDNA3 arrives.

I was ready to cancel my 3080 pre-order should RDNA2 look good, but AMD stopped talking about raytracing so I went with the 3080 and glad I did. Unity, Unreal Engine and IW now support DLSS. I'd say that's significant.

By the time the number of games supporting DLSS is significant AMD's DLSS-alternative which doesn't need machine learning to work will be released and those harboring an RDNA2 graphics card will be able to enjoy the new, resolution-based performance improving tech as well ;)
I love how they still bring up CP2077 like it's the only game they play even though it was a huge pile of turd on release... :rolleyes:

Perhaps in a few years CDPR will release an actual finished game and call it a "Complete Edition" :cry:

I literally mentioned a bunch of games that AMD cards will struggle with, its like you keep moving your goal posts.

Ah, so DLSS will be good when AMD can do something similar... :cry:

The sad fact is that RDNA2 just doesn't have the silicon to compete in next gen. Maybe when RDNA3 arrives.

I was ready to cancel my 3080 pre-order should RDNA2 look good, but AMD stopped talking about raytracing so I went with the 3080 and glad I did. Unity, Unreal Engine and IW now support DLSS. I'd say that's significant.

A DLSS becoming usable in those game engines doesn't mean it's suddenly a "must have feature". It will take years for indie devs to start utilizing such features. I have no doubt that FSR will also become available in these game engines.

RDNA2 by all accounts is very good. Just lacking in one area right now but I think RDNA3 will be the generation AMD takes the crown from Nvidia since it was already quite close this gen.

Congrats, it's still not fast enough to run most games that support rtx features without dlss.

Yes it is. One of the most impressive examples of raytracing is Quake 2 RTX, which does not support DLSS. the 3080 runs that at more than 60FPS at 1440p.

Screenshots don't tell the full story, in a lot of instances the difference in iq is only noticeable when you're moving along in the game world where it can go from sharp when stationary to noticeably less so when on the move.

Obviously companies are jumping on the bandwagon with ray tracing as it's a forward looking feature that eventually will become standard in all games produced, that's quite a few years away yet.

There is a pic in the CP2077 thread that I took while shaking the mouse from side to side, while using DLSS. There was no ghosting or artifacts. There are a few posts from 3070 owners claiming artifacts (no pics), but I'd put that down to the 3070 not having the same grunt.

I played all the way through CP2077 with RT maxed out and it was great fun. Really does add to the immersion. I'm looking forward to more titles with fully raytraced GI. Fingers crossed the enhanced Metro Exodus won't disappoint.

I think the new RDNA 2 cards are pretty decent, would I buy one over an nvidia card? Probably not unless it was either 20% cheaper or 20% faster since nvidia currently offers the more polished and complete package.

I still think it's a bit harsh to criticise AMD for what they have achieved though considering before RDNA 2 they couldn't even beat the 1080ti in performance and people were saying if RDNA2 could match 2080ti performance then they would have done well but they went on and matched nvidia ampere atleast in raster although they were never going to get close for RT.

Last edited:
A DLSS becoming usable in those game engines doesn't mean it's suddenly a "must have feature". It will take years for indie devs to start utilizing such features. I have no doubt that FSR will also become available in these game engines.

RDNA2 by all accounts is very good. Just lacking in one area right now but I think RDNA3 will be the generation AMD takes the crown from Nvidia since it was already quite close this gen.

I'm playing Valheim at the moment. Is that an indie game? It's using the Unity engine, so fingers crossed.

RDNA2 competes in rasterisation, but losses in everything else. It could have been great for AMD If it were 25-30% cheaper than the competition, but it's not. That's why we see AMD losing more ground to Nvidia.

Yes it is. One of the most impressive examples of raytracing is Quake 2 RTX, which does not support DLSS. the 3080 runs that at more than 60FPS at 1440p.

Citing a 20 year old game that got a few bells and whistles plonked into it and still having to play it at 1440 to get good framerates isn't exactly what i'd call impressive. Cute showpiece and all but it's a gimmick at best, yes i tried it and while it was obviously different looking it was still a 20 year old game with a coat of paint splattered onto it.

There is a pic in the CP2077 thread that I took while shaking the mouse from side to side, while using DLSS. There was no ghosting or artifacts. There are a few posts from 3070 owners claiming artifacts (no pics), but I'd put that down to the 3070 not having the same grunt.

Gpu grunt would have nothing to do with it, they would still be rendering the same image via dlss albeit at different framerates. If artifacts are shown on one gpu, assuming the gpu isn't faulty then theres no reason why it would be absent on faster gpu's, they're all still using the same tech after all.

I'm playing Valheim at the moment. Is that an indie game? It's using the Unity engine, so fingers crossed.

RDNA2 competes in rasterisation, but losses in everything else. It could have been great for AMD If it were 25-30% cheaper than the competition, but it's not. That's why we see AMD losing more ground to Nvidia.

In "everything else" what you really mean is Raytracing. I like how you turn one thing into everything... The 6000 cards for the most part have more VRAM, i personally decided that was more important feature for me than better Raytracing performance this gen.

I find it absolutely ironic you bringing out godfall after talking so much **** about cyberpunk. (i dont like or play either of them just for reference)

Yes that's was the intention. If you just want to keep bringing up Control/CP2077 then I will just bring up godfall since the 90fps my 6800XT gets at ultra settings with raytracing on is very playable thank you very much. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom