• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm facepalming so hard right now....

@Rroff had a nice video showing what the path tracing engine was capable of. Need to cook dinner before having another look for it.

No idea if that's the case or not, what is "enough frames"? Enough fps is something that can vary on a game by game and user by user basis. I don't recall dlss ever needing a certain framerate to function properly.

Doom 3 is largely just stencil shadows + specular and normal maps - remove those i.e. look at the modification to make it run on Voodoo graphics it actually doesn't look great at all.

As I've got my head around some of the processes used by Quake 2 RTX I might try and recreate a bit of Doom 3 in it.

Nvidia put out what they can get away with...same as any tech manufacturer. 10gb for the 3080 was too low and should have been at least 12gb being a higher end card. The 3060ti and 3070 with 8gb look a really bad buy when you look at the 6700xt and 3060 with 12gb next to them. It depends if you are buying "for the now" with the intent to upgrade at the next cycle and whether you value features like RTX/DLSS/nvenc from nvidia.
I think we can't criticize people's purchases in this climate when it's really a case of get what you can...literally anything you can.

No, I meant everything else, such as raytracing, DLSS (AI based super sampling), AI, video encoding, etc..

Raytracing and DLSS are used together, there is not really much point of DLSS without raytracing. Stop separating them.

And video encoding is irreverent unless you make videos for a living (i highly doubt you do). Perhaps 2% GPU users need Nvidia's NVENC.

What good is more VRAM when the GPU doesn't have the grunt in the first place? Remember they cut everything out of RDNA2 that wasn't needed for gaming, leaving a console chip.

Big Navi has plenty of "grunt". Goodluck trying to get 2500+MHz on your 3080. My 6800XT easily sustains this. The consoles have custom cut down versions of Big Navi, not the other way round.

This is a meaningless metric on its own; I don’t know why you keep mentioning clock speed.

According to amd fanboys clock speed = absolute performance.

that's why they all rock their 10 year old FX CPU's at 7ghz and claim it's the fastest CPU in the world

I must be the only one around here that thinks control is a genuinely good game.
no, you're not alone
it had unique gameplay mechanics, physics were also good, a refresher after tons of copy cat games. being able to destroy anything and seeing particles flying were fun

story was a bit bland? concept was good but like the execution was a bit poor. much of the story is conveyed through texts which i enjoyed to read, but not many will, and if people wanted to enjoy a story through texts, they would instead read books

not that im against story telling by books, notes etc, but relying on them was a bit of a bad idea

outside of these, i also would say it's a genuienly good game. too bad that i didnt experience it with ray tracing, but i found graphics to be good nonetheless. i hated ssr grain though, will replay it with ray tracing, i think the game has a replayability value

I must be the only one around here that thinks control is a genuinely good game.

It looks bland and boring to me. I can think of 1000 games i'd rather play before that.

Literally just looks like all you do is you run around in repetitive generic environments and shoot or throw stuff and it seems the character or story does not make up for it.

I'd ignore Johnny as he's just trolling going by some of his previous posts.

Honestly who gives a **** about the 3080Ti?

1. Unlikely stock will meet demand anytime before Q2/Q3 2021.
  2. Current 3080 owners need not worry. The extra 20GB VRAM is not going to offer any advantage and by the time it does we'll all be discussing which 5080's to buy.

Please learn the difference between VRAM allocation vs usage. 20GB VRAM won't be "needed" for at least another 5+ years.

I caved and bought a 3080 ASUS TUF GAMING OC for £1005 from scalper.

At-least is a good one right? I've been GPUless since September can't afford to dick around for another 3 months in the chance something will come in stock.

Hope I didn't make a bad investment... Cyberpunk and DLSS 2.0 here I come! :p

The 3080 with 10GB GDDR6X is not "constrained" at 4k and won't be for a long time. 20GB VRAM is nothing but a nice luxury.

Not worth waiting months for IMO. The 3080Ti will be severely limited stock and come at a huge premium.

Not for me. Decided to sell my car to afford a scalped 3080. And 10GB GDDR6X is plenty futureproof for the next 4 years. It's going to be a blast to finally be able to play Cyberpunk and all other great games at Ultra settings in the new year...
If you want to play you've got to be willing to pay. :p

dunno though, landscape can quickly change.

how many gamers had 2 gb vram cards in 2013? i would say a fairly %70-80 of them.

in just 2 years... all those cards become obsolete because vram demands quickly increased. everyone released their 4 gb cards and everyone moved on.

if nvidia releases their own 16 gb 4070s and 4070s, everyone will, again, move on. rtx 3060 already brings 12 gb vram at an entry level. im not saying that its a good gpu. but its a huge upgrade for a gtx 1060 user.

many gtx 1060 users will upgrade to 12 gb rtx 3060/4060s. can you imagine that? majority of gamers will actually have 12 gb vram cards. many of them cant actually afford 3070 and 3080, but they can, if there was proper stocks, afford a 3060 easily.

12 gb will be a mainstream vram amount by the end of 2022, and i suspect that it will be "required" to have at 4k

for 1440p, 10 gb might be revelant for a couple more years, dont know but 8 gb is surelly doomed for 1440p

outside of that, im pretty sure even at 1080p, 12 gb vram cards will still enjoy super high quality textures without any sacrifice at all

There's nothing ''super high quality' about 1080P, especially in 2021 when consoles even run 4K.

Even a 3070 is complete overkill for 1080P.

dunno though, landscape can quickly change.

how many gamers had 2 gb vram cards in 2013? i would say a fairly %70-80 of them.

in just 2 years... all those cards become obsolete because vram demands quickly increased. everyone released their 4 gb cards and everyone moved on.

if nvidia releases their own 16 gb 4070s and 4070s, everyone will, again, move on. rtx 3060 already brings 12 gb vram at an entry level. im not saying that its a good gpu. but its a huge upgrade for a gtx 1060 user.

many gtx 1060 users will upgrade to 12 gb rtx 3060/4060s. can you imagine that? majority of gamers will actually have 12 gb vram cards. many of them cant actually afford 3070 and 3080, but they can, if there was proper stocks, afford a 3060 easily.

12 gb will be a mainstream vram amount by the end of 2022, and i suspect that it will be "required" to have at 4k

for 1440p, 10 gb might be revelant for a couple more years, dont know but 8 gb is surelly doomed for 1440p

outside of that, im pretty sure even at 1080p, 12 gb vram cards will still enjoy super high quality textures without any sacrifice at all

Current GPU's will be obsolete, performance wise, by the time 12GB isn't enough for the average AAA game at 4K.

To each their own, but your statement speaks volumes about your character.

What statement? You would literally have to pay me to play Control. A game needs more than flashy effects to be "game of the year" in my opinion. The story of Control appears to be non-existent.

Maybe I'll give CP2077 a try when they get it to a state to where it should have been at release. But my jank tolerance is very low so that may take awhile :D

Some of the most fun games are from indies and small studios. Not huge generic AAA+ games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom