• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly dont see screenshots on either link and I am not watching that full video, but if you could tell me the timestamp ill check it, if there is no noticeable difference, thats kind of unusual, but of course its possible to upres textures without actually adding detail, in which case its pointless. Maybe thats what the devs did in that game.

Bear in mind visual differences are a matter of opinion, one person might consider e.g. MSAA a game changer and someone else see's it as a very minor improvement and not worth it. Which is why I am not just blindly accepting the statements in the first two links.
08:38 for textures, they run through the other settings too.

Thanks, sadly its a bit flawed as they were a distance from the wall and need to be up close. Plus it didnt show the full ultra right side.

But I will say there is a very evident difference from high to very high which disproves the comment on pcgamer saying high is good enough.

I think the ultra textures didnt look great, I wonder if all they did was upres without adding detail, they certainly dont look 4k quality. But for sure very high is the lowest I would be comfortable playing with which DF said needed a lot of VRAM.

Ask any modder, and the first thing they typically do is increase texture resolution so they can add detail level to the textures. On FF7 we have 4k textures for a 1998 game. :)

Low: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51902311638_56fdda3f32_o.jpg

Medium: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51902550464_5a8d3ab330_o.jpg

High: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51902550394_e4fd046a5c_o.jpg

Very High: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51901257997_9da3c20e1d_o.jpg

Ultra: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51902311708_955b2f79fe_o.jpg

Ultra vs Very High
https://imgsli.com/OTczMDQ

High vs Medium
https://imgsli.com/OTczMDU

@Tired9 @chrcoluk

Here y'all go, did some myself (all ultra settings, 8x MSAA, 4K, no TAA/Chromatic Aberration/In-game sharpening or other settings that would distort the image - tho I still had RIS on at 50% from AMD CP). Can see a sharpness difference in Ultra textures vs Very High but it is slight. I would say at 4K even High is quite decent.

Thanks, ultra is clearly better. It is interesting some people cant notice these differences.

On https://imgsli.com/OTczMDQ check the lower part of the green wall to the right of the grey bit, there is little holes in it, on very high they look blurry like they been upscaled and loss of detail, I noticed it very quickly. as I am very sensitive to this stuff. This is not zoomed in.

When zoomed in, its even more apparent.

My results show a very tiny difference, there is a difference but not one you would really ever notice playing unless all you do is stare at brick walls all day.
Check the Vram usage compared to image quality difference.. and well..

If you use the temporal AA technique, you will have a very hard time seeing any difference at all, and it is the only AA method viable as MSAA destroys your FPS in this game, I get 33-50 FPS with 4xMSAA at 2560x1440, it taps the GPU out. And you can still see jaggies everywhere.

Ultra.

DXMD-2022-02-25-01-17-13-228.png

V.High

DXMD-2022-02-25-01-18-44-617.png

Ultra.

DXMD-2022-02-25-01-21-29-168.png

V.High

DXMD-2022-02-25-01-20-02-158.png

Ultra.

DXMD-2022-02-25-01-22-50-764.png

V.High

DXMD-2022-02-25-01-24-37-944.png

Ultra.

DXMD-2022-02-25-01-27-06-119.png

V.High

DXMD-2022-02-25-01-25-40-729.png

In motion the difference between high and ultra textures is minimal in most games. Sure if you stop and observe the textures, you will find ultra superior but who plays games just to look at surfaces.

In motion the difference between high and ultra textures is minimal in most games. Sure if you stop and observe the textures, you will find ultra superior but who plays games just to look at surfaces.
There are a few here who do :cry:
Same can be said about reflective puddles too though, right? Who cares about nice looking graphics, let's make everything shiny and blurry at the same time. :p

Strange statement to make unless your only playing shooters/e-sport events. I actually enjoy other genres too, why look at a potato environment when it can look better?

Strange statement to make unless your only playing shooters/e-sport events. I actually enjoy other genres too, why look at a potato environment when it can look better?
But the high textures aren’t usually “potato” like you make it seem. They look decent enough. When in motion, you are not going to see a big difference when everything is moving past you.

See Watch Dogs Legion for instance. The only tangible difference which is visible is between Low and Medium. Move to High and the difference is less obvious and ultra needs pixel peeping to tell any differences.

https://youtu.be/NxvoxpeeIaQ

There are always the odd exceptions here and there like Far Cry 6, whose stock textures are complete crap but in games like CP2077, Metro Exodus, I could not tell much of a difference.

Same can be said about reflective puddles too though, right? Who cares about nice looking graphics, let's make everything shiny and blurry at the same time. :p
RT Reflections is not just puddles though. Also applies on car surfaces, rougher materials and can even affect shadowing in certain areas. SSR is so crappy in most games that pretty much anything is an improvement. If anything, reflections and lighting are the most obvious visual effects in most games (DL2 looks completely different with RTGI). Although, RT Shadows is the most pointless effect which needs observing to see differences just like ultra textures.

But the high textures aren’t usually “potato” like you make it seem. They look decent enough. When in motion, you are not going to see a big difference when everything is moving past you.

See Watch Dogs Legion for instance. The only tangible difference which is visible is between Low and Medium. Move to High and the difference is less obvious and ultra needs pixel peeping to tell any differences.

There are always the odd exceptions here and there like Far Cry 6, whose stock textures are complete crap but in games like CP2077, Metro Exodus, I could not tell much of a difference.

Far Cry 6s Ultra quality textures without the 4K Texture pack look fine to be honest. I think there was an issue with a certain vendor rendering low quality textures with GPUs that didn't meet the requirements to run the pack (which was later patched) that made them look worse than they were.

So you play games to look at reflections and lighting, but not at textures or surfaces?

As you mentioned Dying Light 2, it has some of the worst texture quality I've seen in recently released games. This quality is reduced further with image reconstruction, which adds a lot of blur to the already low quality textures present in the game.

I'll agree that the RT is nice in Dying Light 2, though.

RT Reflections is not just puddles though. Also applies on car surfaces, rougher materials and can even affect shadowing in certain areas. SSR is so crappy in most games that pretty much anything is an improvement. If anything, reflections and lighting are the most obvious visual effects in most games (DL2 looks completely different with RTGI). Although, RT Shadows is the most pointless effect which needs observing to see differences just like ultra textures.

^^

Pretty much this.

I love good HD/4k textures like the Fc texture pack games, lost count as to the amount of screenshots I have taken of trees bark :p

However, as you said, for most games, the difference between "ultra/very high" and "high" or even "medium" is very small, at least in the games I play, tbh, the majority of settings being dropped to high don't really make that much difference in IQ as per HU video:

As for RT vs SSR, correct again, depending on the game, the difference is immediately noticeable in most cases, in fact, I would argue, even more so when in motion with regards to reflections as when in motion with SSR, reflections disappear even just from slightly adjusting the camera angle where as with RT reflections, you don't have this. Overall, a lot of RT effects are very noticeable in motion, especially lighting and shadows and seeing how they react in real time with the environment as you move about. Cyberpunk, dl2, control + metro being some of the best examples but the one that really had me impressed was riftbreaker (funnily an amd sponsored title too :p), probably because of it being a top down style of game, easier to see the exact effect lighting and shadows etc. makes.

It terms of overall performance, it is a downgrade over the 6900 XT Toxic. Only in sponsored RT titles is it significantly faster.

It'll be on the MM soon if you want an upgrade to a real GPU though? ;)
Nah. 3000 series is on its way out, 4000 series not far away now. Besides Dying Light 2 was the last demanding title I wanted to play this year.

We do have Starfield coming out in November, but I may not even play it on release potentially as I may opt to wait for a few months of patches. Let's see if I can get it significantly cheaper by preordering like I did with DL2 :D

I get what you are saying, but if you want to run games with blur on and low quality all the time you likely should have bought the model or two down in the SKU. If you switch to another display (higher spec and res) in the future you will need all the grunt you can afford.

I get what you are saying, but if you want to run games with blur on and low quality all the time you likely should have bought the model or two down in the SKU. If you switch to another display (higher spec and res) in the future you will need all the grunt you can afford.
Naaa, intelligent people waste the GPU grunt pushing faster refresh panels instead.

In fact I have thought about getting a convertor and hooking this thing up to my CRT TV because games these days have terrible AA handling and with say RGB scart, you get a natural blur from the TV yert a very high quality image with blacks and colour and sit back with a controller thinking it is 1999 again.

Some things on a flat panel look really bad, as a point, AA is much less needed on CRT than it is on a flat panel.

Raytracing maxed, 576i res with maxed settings, 60hz (My TV does 50/60hz...) screw paying for those overpriced monitors off Ebay, ever since the DF video, even the grandma with a 60hz refresh rate DELL you saw in school thinks it is worth £150.

Play this music when on COD giving some 20 something a colon cleansing... as messed up as that sounds.. I mean it clearly though, the crap they speak, the cleansing is just death.

Scrap that idea, I forgot reshade exists.. let me see what I can do to purposely mess the image up to actually get a better image as messed up as that also sounds.

Last edited:
Not really. In fact I more easily notice the sharpness and clarity differences in motion and for the whole image, the reason we use screenshots is simply because it's much easier to capture & demonstrate the difference. Particularly at 4K and when minimising the AA (if possible), it's very obvious, but I also sit close to a 4K 55" TV, so that magnifies it I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom