• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I partially agree that testing could be better as we have seen time and time again, many people blame some "game" issues because of lack of vram or something else and turns out once the game gets patched or/and driver update, the issue because of "vram limitations" suddenly disappears....

DF are very good and probably the best (they even picked up deathloops texture loading/rendering upon fast movement/camera angle adjustment on lesser vram cards, something that no one else picked up on) but sadly a lot of people have written them of as "nvidia shills" due to their love for ray tracing and dlss, same way those same people have also written of HU, GN etc. for also being "nvidia shills", I think techpowerup are also on that list now too :p :cry:

It's pointless sites like pcgh, techpowerup just showing how much vram is used as per my comment above, it means nothing as we have witnessed.... frame latency is the main thing I would like to see more of when it comes to vram bottlenecks as it is always the first thing to suffer/indicate there is a vram issue/bottleneck and FPS average/min/max bar charts don't show this well.

I agree some issues may not be VRAM related, the issues disappearing after a patch doesnt necessarily mean VRAM was never the issue though, in one game where issues disappeared, the system RAM usage went up post patch which suggests to me in that game they moved some assets from VRAM to system RAM to resolve it (no problem with this, if it works it works). Agree also reference TPU etc.

I just feel that we in an era where the game itself may dynamically adjust to its hardware environment, its going to fool testing methods that assume a static game configuration. I am curious how DF are measuring resolution and frame times, as they clearly doing it different to everyone else, especially as they can do it on consoles. We then perhaps need the industry to move onto what they doing.

Soldato
The top dog of the ring always commands a premium, ye heathen shall kneel before the king
It's normally better than a mere 10% from what is now the 4th tier down card, that performance level alone is far more embarrassing than the 10gb VRAM buffer.

You may feel like you bought the King but really it's Jensens joker.

Associate
How hard is it to understand ? The 3090 is not a gaming card, the 3090 is not a gaming card, the 3090 is not a gaming card. It's a superb content creation card, at rrp I'd even say it's good value for what it is.(Less so at £2k)
Of course, it's great at gaming, but that's not why you pay the difference. I have one at work & it's a fantastic card for general CG work, GPU rendering, Unreal Engine, Substance painter etc. None of that stuff needs the pro features of the Quaddros but will happily eat VRam for breakfast.
That said, 8GB on fairly high -end cards like the 3070ti is stingy & 10gb on the 3080 feels like a step back. I prefer AMDs strategy of more slower VRam & compensate with cache overall.

Permabanned
That said, 8GB on fairly high -end cards like the 3070ti is stingy & 10gb on the 3080 feels like a step back. I prefer AMDs strategy of more slower VRam & compensate with cache overall.

These cards are not that high end being a hybrid of RT and rastisation, you only need to look at the RT performance. BTW. 10GB is a 25% increase over previouos gen.

Last edited:
Associate
These cards are not that high end being a hybrid of RT and rastisation, you only need to look at the RT performance. BTW. 10GB is a 25% increase over previouos gen.
I mean, you're right if we go on naming convention. It's hard to ignore pricing though, even if NVidia didn't intend for those to be the prices.

Associate
Better tell that to a good few on here who bought a 3090 just for gaming especially for reasons of vram and "gaming"..... :cry:
I suppose there were times when you had to just buy whatever you could get your hands on & times when the 3090 was the least overpriced card vs it's RRP. I still think it's hard to rationlise as a gaming card.

Permabanned
I mean, you're right if we go on naming convention. It's hard to ignore pricing though, even if NVidia didn't intend for those to be the prices.

I should have also have mentioned, with regard to 'not that high end', that Ampere was originally considered on 7nm. Of course I'm pulling this out of the place the sun doesn't shine, but I would have thought Nvidia would have squeezed another 7-15% performance had they not downgraded to 8.

Pricing wise, I can't see how Nvidia could have done any better as they kept RRP within their own store. I think it was £649 for the 3080FE. I paid, again from memory, £720 for my TUF OC the day after launch, after it had gone up £20!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Still no evidence of crippled Vram on RTX 3070 and up yet.. not compelling at least.
For those of us with a smart brain who buy a card for it's specific target, 3070 for 1440P etc.

Soldato
Still no evidence of crippled Vram on RTX 3070 and up yet.. not compelling at least.
For those of us with a smart brain who buy a card for it's specific target, 3070 for 1440P etc.

Evidence wont be there when its not seeked. ;)

Note texture resolution is independent of rendering resolution.

You can have rendering resolution of 8k with 256x256 textures and like wise rendering resolution of 720p with 4096x4096 textures. Texture streaming games can dynamically adjust the textures to fit the configuration.

Permabanned
Evidence wont be there when its not seeked. ;)

Note texture resolution is independent of rendering resolution.

You can have rendering resolution of 8k with 256x256 textures and like wise rendering resolution of 720p with 4096x4096 textures. Texture streaming games can dynamically adjust the textures to fit the configuration.

Do you see an actual difference though?

I mean Deus Ex is probably a cherry pick but I remember the maxed out texture settings looking exactly like the one lower down whilst using way more Vram.

Soldato
Do you see an actual difference though?

I mean Deus Ex is probably a cherry pick but I remember the maxed out texture settings looking exactly like the one lower down whilst using way more Vram.

Yes my experience is totally at odds vs HUB and TPU hence my comments. Performance and visual quality wise.

Good luck playing FF15 with the high quality texture pack on a 8 gig or lower card.

I will also say a game at 720p with 4k textures will visually look superior to a game played at 1080p with 256x256 or even 1k textures.

Playing GTA5 with medium or low quality textures you cant even read the signs on shops etc. I dont know what happened with your deus ex, but usually texture quality is an extremely noticeable thing.

Permabanned
Yes my experience is totally at odds vs HUB and TPU hence my comments. Performance and visual quality wise.

Good luck playing FF15 with the high quality texture pack on a 8 gig or lower card.

I will also say a game at 720p with 4k textures will visually look superior to a game played at 1080p with 256x256 or even 1k textures.

Playing GTA5 with medium or low quality textures you cant even read the signs on shops etc. I dont know what happened with your deus ex, but usually texture quality is an extremely noticeable thing.

Yeah but GTA 5 only really needs a 3GB Vram card for max textures.

I get what you mean though.

Soldato

Sadly dont see screenshots on either link and I am not watching that full video, but if you could tell me the timestamp ill check it, if there is no noticeable difference, thats kind of unusual, but of course its possible to upres textures without actually adding detail, in which case its pointless. Maybe thats what the devs did in that game.

Bear in mind visual differences are a matter of opinion, one person might consider e.g. MSAA a game changer and someone else see's it as a very minor improvement and not worth it. Which is why I am not just blindly accepting the statements in the first two links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom