• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
At £650 it was a great deal(just dial back settings affecting vram) but 95%+ 3080's sold were £1200+ that was a bad deal.

Somehow it got twisted into a false narrative, I don't recall anyone saying the sorts - all we said (and there's pages of evidence there) was it can happen. From recollection the only on topic area this touched on would be how does this happen - and as described at the time [run at high resolution, high settings]. Anyone can say it doesnt affect my gaming as I run compression and drop settings - which is not the point we were making! :cry:

Who on earth said it was a bad deal?

Soldato
At £650 it was a great deal(just dial back settings affecting vram) but 95%+ 3080's sold were £1200+ that was a bad deal.
95%? Is there evidence for this? I'm not doubting you're wrong but I got one at msrp, guy above me did. It wouldn't be 95% on here and anyone not on here doesn't count ;)

Somehow it got twisted into a false narrative, I don't recall anyone saying the sorts - all we said (and there's pages of evidence there) was it can happen. From recollection the only on topic area this touched on would be how does this happen - and as described at the time [run at high resolution, high settings]. Anyone can say it doesnt affect my gaming as I run compression and drop settings - which is not the point we were making! :cry:

Would Einstein understand the point? Everyone knows it can happen, but that doesn't explain the crusade against, whatever its been against, over the last 10 pages. That's what I expect a lot of folk, myself included are trying to understand.

Soldato
Also has issues on gpus with more vram too :(

I think the fundamental problem we have right now is that the console versions are properly utilizing direct storage and their "unified" memory eliminates the issues with having dedicated vram and system ram especially with the way textures/assets are streamed in where as with PC, this process isn't being used and I imagine would probably would require a fair bit of reworking the game to get good results.
Be as it may, the game isn't that different looking (if any at all) compared to other games. If it was something like the demos of UE 5.1 there could have been an excuse. But this? This is just bad / incomplete work.

Soldato
Let me put it like this. If an owner of a 3090 could go into the settings and put textures in high meant they would gain 1200 euros back, they would do so in a heartbeat. But they can't, they are stuck with 24 useless gb for gaming
Is even more funier when you think that such a difference would mean a "free" upgrade to a 4080 now which is (obviously) a much better card than its vRAM superior predecessor.

Last edited:
Caporegime
95%? Is there evidence for this? I'm not doubting you're wrong but I got one at msrp, guy above me did. It wouldn't be 95% on here and anyone not on here doesn't count ;)

No what I would call "rock hard" evidence but for what it's worth:

@tommybhoy

Be interested to hear if you think the 3090 was a good deal for £1400+ and if it has proved to be worth it for "gamers" over the £650 3080 so far? And whatever the answer is, why?

Be as it may, the game isn't that different looking (if any at all) compared to other games. If it was something like the demos of UE 5.1 there could have been an excuse. But this? This is just bad / incomplete work.

Don't disagree, game needs a lot of work, largely around the ray tracing settings as I feel this is the cause of issues for all gpus, however, I do feel that performance in the tutorial section was worse, after getting the initial hogsmead and hogwarts tutorial missions/intro completed, it seems to have somewhat sorted itself out, even with RT on to some extent (and obviously doing the .ini fixes)

Having said all that, the game is truly blowing me away with it's "overall" visuals, may not be the best for textures, lighting, reflections and so on but I'm in awe at the amount of detail packed into the game world, to be able to explore it all without any loading screens (for the most part) and see the detail there is, is incredible, very little copy and paste throughout the game world and every corner has attention to detail, I'm not really a harry potter fan but as you know me, I do love an immersive full of life game world, helps that the gameplay is fantastic too.

Couldn't be assed turning off HDR to take screenshots but some photos, doesn't do it any justice though:

rW2Wy3n.jpg

NKnytPz.jpg

nLXh4eq.jpg

iqceSpi.jpg

5J80TjP.jpg

578ee9D.jpg

0gTGfGC.jpg

RSwoEOf.jpg

68fobpg.jpg

NDoDLGK.jpg

Lqz8DXL.jpg

XybQIbB.jpg

zoJtgSa.jpg

mJNBnzD.jpg

Q23MEv6.jpg

All whilst getting 120+ fps at 3440x1440 using dlss quality and high preset (ultra looks no different) with no RT (since it is broken in not just perf. but also IQ and artifacting). No crashes, bugs or anything either and HDR is great.

Soldato
My ‘bargain’ £650 3080 is one of the main reasons I’m not rushing out to buy a 4000 series gpu…..

Same lol and I bought it for 1440p I wouldn't feel so great if I bought 3080ti / 3090 instead

I didn't even think the any of the 30 series had much headroom at 4K anyway to last

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a poll here some time ago and the vast majority of 3080 owners had the FE bought at RRP.

Miners were buying the AIBs and FEs from ebay and then they dumped them on the used market.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a poll here some time ago and the vast majority of 3080 owners had the FE bought at RRP.

Miners were buying the AIBs and FEs from ebay and then they dumped them on the used market.
Going off a poll where anyone can vote, or going off the users threads where proof was needed showing hardly any FE's in it, I know what one I'm believing.:)

Soldato
You have made a design choice the cripples performance in a way that could easily have been avoided.

Man why do people fail to understand this very simple concept? I am not having a go at you, but this has been explained so many times before it's not even funny.

As a company that sells things Nvidia do not want to avoid this sort of stuff. Look how many people have gone out and bought new GPUs..... Look how they put too much VRAM on cheap cards with crap cores, yet on high end cards like the 3080 they put on literally just enough to get them through launch day.

It's all 100% deliberate. As hard as it is to actually prove that GPUs don't have enough VRAM (because really we just don't have the tools to do so, so that leaves room for arguing over it !) Nvidia know exactly what they are doing. And they always have. It costs pennies more to add another, say, 2gb VRAM when you consider the overall price. As AMD have shown time and time again, VRAM isn't that expensive. Not at their buying level. So why don't Nvidia put more on and avoid this? lmfao, because they don't want to ! don't you find it odd how prices continue to rise exponentially? you really don't think this is all completely deliberate?

They know full well that dropping settings is like blasphemy to people with lots of money. Even if it is literally just one setting, they know for a fact the e-peen mentality will eat away at a man and force him to go out and buy yet another GPU. And as always, the "high end gamer" GPUs don't have enough, yet the ones with so much that it won't help in the long run (because the core will be woefully outdated) have too much for any gamer and cost a ruddy fortune?

Seriously, figure it out people it ain't bloody hard.

Soldato
Bear in mind texture resolution is independent of rendering resolution.

As an example my 3080 cannot play FF7 remake properly with high textures at 720p. This is one of the reasons I decided to stop going round and round on this as basic concepts are not been understood, its nothing to do with 4k, 1440p etc.

I play modded FF7 (1998 version) at 1280x720 using 4096x4096 textures.

Last edited:
Soldato
Man why do people fail to understand this very simple concept? I am not having a go at you, but this has been explained so many times before it's not even funny.

As a company that sells things Nvidia do not want to avoid this sort of stuff. Look how many people have gone out and bought new GPUs..... Look how they put too much VRAM on cheap cards with crap cores, yet on high end cards like the 3080 they put on literally just enough to get them through launch day.

It's all 100% deliberate. As hard as it is to actually prove that GPUs don't have enough VRAM (because really we just don't have the tools to do so, so that leaves room for arguing over it !) Nvidia know exactly what they are doing. And they always have. It costs pennies more to add another, say, 2gb VRAM when you consider the overall price. As AMD have shown time and time again, VRAM isn't that expensive. Not at their buying level. So why don't Nvidia put more on and avoid this? lmfao, because they don't want to ! don't you find it odd how prices continue to rise exponentially? you really don't think this is all completely deliberate?

They know full well that dropping settings is like blasphemy to people with lots of money. Even if it is literally just one setting, they know for a fact the e-peen mentality will eat away at a man and force him to go out and buy yet another GPU. And as always, the "high end gamer" GPUs don't have enough, yet the ones with so much that it won't help in the long run (because the core will be woefully outdated) have too much for any gamer and cost a ruddy fortune?

You cant just add 2gb of vram.

Caporegime
Lol, this just gets better and better, use high settings to achieve better graphics than ultra! :D :cry:

4OyOB2T.png

That's not RT but the "effects" option........

Soldato

I do agree that Nvidia made the clear choice to go with 10GB for cost savings and to give the 3090 more credability.

Soldato
Going off a poll where anyone can vote, or going off the users threads where proof was needed showing hardly any FE's in it, I know what one I'm believing.:)
Your initial claim was that 95%+ were £1200+ not that <5% were (MSRP?) FEs

Fwiw I got a 700 quid AIB and a 650 quid FE - neither of which went in the owners' thread.

The truth is we have no idea on the numbers of people that paid over the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom