• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
At £650 it was a great deal(just dial back settings affecting vram) but 95%+ 3080's sold were £1200+ that was a bad deal.
A bad deal? A card that made between £5-10 a day for the best part of a year.

Screenshot-466.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Hold on, apparently £1400 3090s were a bad deal though even with mining profits taken into consideration.

They used more power for just little extra hash rate + more heat and considering how much more they cost would take longer to ROI over the 3080

Last edited:
Soldato
Your initial claim was that 95%+ were £1200+ not that <5% were (MSRP?) FEs

Fwiw I got a 700 quid AIB and a 650 quid FE - neither of which went in the owners' thread.

The truth is we have no idea on the numbers of people that paid over the odds.
True we don't, we have had gibbo saying Asus alone outsold considerably more GPUs than NV sold FE's, add about another 10+ aibs, so maybe I was harsh with 95% maybe it was 90%.

There was zero 80 FE drops for almost 4 months, there was about 10 drops in 1 year.*

80 FE was on sale for less than a month over it's lifetime

I certainly couldn't point out any user in the forum that wants to spend ~£1200 over £650 can anyone else?

Therefore the question one should ask themselves is why does the aibs outnumber FE's, and what's the 4080 pricing got in common with 3080 aib pricing???

So back to the original point, £650 fantastic card that needs lowered settings occasionally to accomodate 10Gb vram.

If you paid £1200 you got absolutely mugged off.

*edit-Checked through FE PA, there's been four 3080 drops since 17th Dec 2021, just four.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Out of interest I went and had a look. There are ZERO FE cards in stock at the moment. None at all. CLearly the demand is still there and people are still paying the inflated prices.

Soldato
Out of interest I went and had a look. There are ZERO FE cards in stock at the moment. None at all. CLearly the demand is still there and people are still paying the inflated prices.
The 4080FE is in stock and has been for over 2 months solid now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm keeping the 3080 FE (bought at MSRP thankfully), but I'm using GeForce NOW's RTX 4080 tier, much cheaper than buying one! Also, I might pick up a PS5 at some point for the next installment of the FF7 Remake if the PS5 Pro really is cancelled (the rumours are all over the place). I've also got XBOX Game Pass Ultimate so all my bases are covered.
Really don't feel Sony or MS need a pro version.

Caporegime
Decided to try hogwarts out last night on the 4k oled and funnily it actually runs smoother at a locked 60 fps than it does at 120+ fps on my 175hz aw :cry: Probably down to frame pacing. Game stayed locked at 60 the whole time with dlss quality and high settings + RT off, couldn't see any texture issues either.

Really don't feel Sony or MS need a pro version.

Games are starting to sacrifice visual quality overall (and not just talking about RT here), drop res. even further (which would be ok if they used a good implementation of FSR but most of the time, it is adaptive resolution/VRS or some kind of checkerboarding which pales in comparison to a good fsr implementation) in order to hit a locked 60.

I would be very tempted by a pro/refresh console if they can get settings back to more high preset with some RT performance equivalent to 3090ti @ 1440P (or preferably with FSR in all games for 4k) with a locked 60 fps for <£600

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to try hogwarts out last night on the 4k oled and funnily it actually runs smoother at a locked 60 fps than it does at 120+ fps on my 175hz aw :cry: Probably down to frame pacing. Game stayed locked at 60 the whole time with dlss quality and high settings + RT off, couldn't see any texture issues either.

Games are starting to sacrifice visual quality overall (and not just talking about RT here), drop res. even further (which would be ok if they used a good implementation of FSR but most of the time, it is adaptive resolution/VRS or some kind of checkerboarding which pales in comparison to a good fsr implementation) in order to hit a locked 60.

I would be very tempted by a pro/refresh console if they can get settings back to more high preset with some RT performance equivalent to 3090ti @ 1440P (or preferably with FSR in all games for 4k) with a locked 60 fps for <£600
If you care that much, you wouldn't bother with a console to begin with.

Soldato
You cant just add 2gb of vram.

Then WTF was the 3080 12gb? come on dude.....

I do agree that Nvidia made the clear choice to go with 10GB for cost savings and to give the 3090 more credability.

It's not so much cost savings dude. It's longevity. They know if they designed it with more VRAM on it would last a lot longer at the high end.

Soldato
It's not so much cost savings dude. It's longevity. They know if they designed it with more VRAM on it would last a lot longer at the high end.
Nvidia could have used a GA104 die, 256 bus and 16gb VRAM for a 3080 that was 20% slower but then would that have added to longevity?

Soldato
Lol, this just gets better and better, use high settings to achieve better graphics than ultra! :D :cry:

4OyOB2T.png

That's not RT but the "effects" option........
At first glance I thought I agree with you as its sharper, but the high picture has the same issue I posted a couple of days back where the reflection is overpowering and looks like it is extending below the floor. Are both of these RT enabled? Is there a screenshot of that scene without RT?

This game just seems badly made to me.

Associate
At first glance I thought I agree with you as its sharper, but the high picture has the same issue I posted a couple of days back where the reflection is overpowering and looks like it is extending below the floor. Are both of these RT enabled? Is there a screenshot of that scene without RT?

This game just seems badly made to me.
That screenshot is without RT enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom