• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Also doing the waiting game, I think. Granted my use case is in a specific niche since I really enjoy heavily modding (and even occasionally playing :p) Bethesda games and other similar titles. Add enough texture replacers etc. and it'll start to add up very quickly. VR is another niche in which more VRAM is always welcome, so I don't think Nvidia can rest on its laurels and just have these offerings until Hopper becomes a thing. I honestly also doubt that RTX IO and DirectStorage will make it in time for when next-gen ports start coming out in full swing - those'll be more demanding for sure.

Associate
Not seen any game max the 8gb on my 1070 so I'd say 10gb is enough

At 1080p? If that then that's frankly ancient... although I was playing 1440p with a 1070 a while back and was holding more than fine, but a while back and mostly limited by games being on consoles too and with settings tweaking which could be fine for some.

However now you'll have consoles that can eat that alive and hence ports won't really fare well on a 1070 or worst 1060 at all for obvious reasons, perhaps first year if a dev decide to develop a game for older and new gen as ram was similar.

EDIT:

we haven't played next gen console ported games yet.

Absolutely right just wrote same thing, new games won't be same games played for years as most games aren't really "pumped" for PC but have to work on both consoles and PCs so IMHO the 1080ti is the only 10xx that will still pull the weight from that series.

Soldato
Each to his own, but to be these are not 1080P cards, they are far too powerful for 1080P. It's a complete waste of money.

I'd advise only getting these if you're playing at 1440P, or better still 4K.

Soldato
This is reminiscent of the GTX 970 3.5gb/4gb RAM debate that raged a while ago. Also makes me laugh at the comments coming out now saying my X 12 core cpu will be bottlenecked oh woe is me.

Nvidia wouldnt put out a 10gb card if it caused problems in games. Whilst I do think in the minority through heavy modding or whatever that more VRAM may be needed generally its fine. I`m running 8gb at 1440p and dont have the issue. My two sons run 6gb and they dont have the issue. I never had the issue with the GTX 970.

We've not had a game that we have had to upgrade a card to play it happily for years. Quite frankly I think if it had 11gb or 12gb people would still moan its not enough. I would also imagine that the majority of PC users have less than 8gb VRAM and dont even know there would be an issue.

I`m still on the side of missing out this round because I dont need the performance or the extra VRAM. My thinking is going with 4xxx and also do a CPU/Motherboard update at the same time. Performance wise it will be massive increase for me. I might get tempted by the 3xxx Super or Refresh or whatever Nvidia decide to release next year to milk the 3xxx series but likely I will stick with the 5700. This is just my opinion.

Soldato
At 1080p? If that then that's frankly ancient... although I was playing 1440p with a 1070 a while back and was holding more than fine, but a while back and mostly limited by games being on consoles too and with settings tweaking which could be fine for some.

However now you'll have consoles that can eat that alive and hence ports won't really fare well on a 1070 or worst 1060 at all for obvious reasons, perhaps first year if a dev decide to develop a game for older and new gen as ram was similar.

EDIT:

Absolutely right just wrote same thing, new games won't be same games played for years as most games aren't really "pumped" for PC but have to work on both consoles and PCs so IMHO the 1080ti is the only 10xx that will still pull the weight from that series.
Yes at 1080p

I recently upgraded my monitor it's still 1080p but can do 240Hz now which is why am considering a 3080

My 1070 is also now out of warranty so an excuse to get another hehe

Permabanned
I may end up back on 1080p if this Odyssey G7 does not get a decent Firmware (non Flicker+other issues) soon.

At least it will be a G-Sync Hardware Module based panel so just works.

Soldato
I have a suspicion that these responses are coming from people playing games only at 1080p.

We need a poll asking how many plan on buying a 3070 and 3080 for 1080p gaming. Because they don't have enough to buy a better monitor.

Associate
I really hope someone does an in-depth video on this topic soon because the "is it enough/isn't it enough" debate is driving me nuts. I'm probably going to go for the 3080 anyway but it would be nice to finally confirm the truth.

Sure Horizon Zero Dawn pretty much reserves 9.5GB of VRAM on my 1080ti @ 3440 x 1440, but my gpu core is maxed out at 100% anyway. Not convinced another 2/3GB of VRAM would make much of a difference.

Soldato
Obviously next gen games will be designed with 10gb vram in mind since that's the max most will have. So where is the problem?

If 20gb vram was popular, game developers would aim for that.

If 6gb vram was more popular, game developers would aim for that.

Developers aren't stupid, they will never design a game that people can't play. They want sales.

OMG!!!

Soldato
there we go folks, Mark hasn't seen 8gb so 10gb is safe enough.

For 1080p I'd say it is enough certainly, I can't prove I'm right of course only have my experience.

Anything higher res wise more ram maybe needed or if you running lots of mods on a game for textures perhaps.

People of course can make there own mind up, I'd be surprised if any struggled with 8GB ram on a GPU for gaming

Rendering maybe different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom