• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRoQRUX67XQ&list=WL&index=4&t=200s

Towards the end, the 970 with only 4gb(or 3.5gb idk) of vram can still play with the 4k texture pack at 1080p... how??

It says the game needs 7.5gb.. How is the 970 still giving out decent framerates? Is the usage actually a lot less at 1080p? Like below 4gb?

If it was running out of vram it would be at 5-10fps.

Seeing this makes me feel a lot better about 10gb vram... i mean ill be at 1440p so there is a bit of a headroom anyways...
Although its weird that 3060 gets 12gb of vram but 3080 only has 10gb(latest rumours)

Haha that's hilarious. In your face haters :D :p

Source on the bolded comment?

Hmm, apparently the "secret" to this game is still a "secret" in order to get better FPS.
Well, I'll tell you what it is. This game has the Standby List Bug. In order to fix it you need an app to consistently flush out the standby list or else it will continue to eat ram and thus lower your frame rates.
This explains why the frame rates can be "higher" while driving (as the ram is getting flushed more often). And explains why the fps plummet towards the end of the video. Because the ram is filling up.

In order to circumvent this issue is to use something like ISLC from Wagnersoft.

But here's the rub in all this. That bug was fixed in Win10 1903 or 1909. I forget which one. And most other newer games out there don't exhibit this kind of behavior. For this game to still have "last year's problem" tells me the were using a pretty old build of win10 (IMO).

If the game isn't "crashing" I doubt they will pay the resources it would take to fix it. It would be nice if they did though.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are you trying to say.?:D:p:D

Well the FE I ordered yesterday turned up today, I did not even pay for Saturday delivery, so well chuffed :D

Here, enjoy the pics guys, oh and I updated my sig too ;)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Associate
So, what's the conclusion to this massive discussion?

1) All claims of >10Gb usage have been tested to be false.
2) We've been measuring vRAM badly for years so our expectations of what we need is skewed to be too high.
3) The most modern and demanding games run into GPU bottlenecks before they run out of vRAM which is some evidence of future performance
4) Streaming assets intelligently from disk is the future upgrade path that developers are investing in (consoles, DirectStorage, NVMe disks etc)

Associate
That's a fake video, should be obvious to anyone who actually played the game because when he's driving around his fps goes up which never ever happens especially near piccadilly. Also there's times when you see obvious stutter-stop on video but nothing on graph.
When he drives the fps goes down in the ultra setting benchmark. I don't think the video is fake he showed real time benchmarks...

Soldato
When he drives the fps goes down in the ultra setting benchmark. I don't think the video is fake he showed real time benchmarks...

It's fake as fake can be. Here's a real video - pay attention to fps as he gets out of the car.

https://youtu.be/1Ac9ouXQ5Jw?t=502

Now go back to the fake video and look at 4:12 and when collisions happen the fps doesn't drop as it should, even though in those physics-heavy events it always does. Especially look at 4:21, where you can see an obvious stutter but frametime graph & fps remains solidly locked.

C'mon now. Why do people want to believe these lies so readily? Hell, run the game yourself and let's see if you still believe that performance is accurate. This is one of the easiest of these fakes videos to disprove, precisely because of the high variance in performance during different sections for this game. I know 'cause I put a lot of time into playing it so it's obvious to me but it should still be obvious to anyone cross-referencing videos of the game running (so long as you have at least one trusted source).

Last edited:
Soldato
It's fake as fake can be. Here's a real video - pay attention to fps as he gets out of the car.

https://youtu.be/1Ac9ouXQ5Jw?t=502

Now go back to the fake video and look at 4:12 and when collisions happen the fps doesn't drop as it should, even though in those physics-heavy events it always does. Especially look at 4:21, where you can see an obvious stutter but frametime graph & fps remains solidly locked.

C'mon now. Why do people want to believe these lies so readily? Hell, run the game yourself and let's see if you still believe that performance is accurate. This is one of the easiest of these fakes videos to disprove, precisely because of the high variance in performance during different sections for this game. I know 'cause I put a lot of time into playing it so it's obvious to me but it should still be obvious to anyone cross-referencing videos of the game running (so long as you have at least one trusted source).

I just did a quick video using Intelligent Standby List Cleaner:
https://youtu.be/H_dsmauDMtk
1440p should be up momentarily.

Soldato
Hmm, apparently the "secret" to this game is still a "secret" in order to get better FPS.
Well, I'll tell you what it is. This game has the Standby List Bug. In order to fix it you need an app to consistently flush out the standby list or else it will continue to eat ram and thus lower your frame rates.
This explains why the frame rates can be "higher" while driving (as the ram is getting flushed more often). And explains why the fps plummet towards the end of the video. Because the ram is filling up.

In order to circumvent this issue is to use something like ISLC from Wagnersoft.

But here's the rub in all this. That bug was fixed in Win10 1903 or 1909. I forget which one. And most other newer games out there don't exhibit this kind of behavior. For this game to still have "last year's problem" tells me the were using a pretty old build of win10 (IMO).

If the game isn't "crashing" I doubt they will pay the resources it would take to fix it. It would be nice if they did though.

Interesting indeed! Good info :)

Soldato
3080 is a 4k card, pretty pointless for the old fashioned 1080P or 1440P resolutions.

New consoles are making 4k ubiquitous - PC's are meant to be ahead of consoles, image quality wise, not behind!

"3080 is a 4k card" doesn't explain why the 3090 has a huge lead at 1080p. If the 3080 sucks at 1080p, logic dictates the 3090 should too yet its way faster than anything else.

I don't really know why, but I can start eliminating things surely.

* My first thought was perhaps the game likes all of those extra Cuda cores the 3090 has, but the 3090 only has 20% more cores than the 3080 so that doesn't explain the 40% performance difference.

* My second thought is perhaps its the clock speed, but the 3080 has a higher clock speed so its not that.

* My third thought is VRAM usage, but even at 4k the game only uses 8.6GB so its not that.

* My only other guess is memory bandwidth - perhaps this game is extremely hungry for bandwidth and the 3090 with its near 1TB/s of bandwidth is the only card that can satisfy the game's hunger for bandwidth. In this theory, the 3090's extra bandwidth allows the game to take full use of all those CUDA cores where as the 3080's CUDA cores sit idling due to being choked by much lower bandwidth.

I know that core clocks don't matter, nor does VRAM usage. The only thing left is that the game must be making use of the 3090's cores better than the 3080 and the only reason I can think of is its 50% more bandwidth over the 3080.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom