• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I was considering a whole new shiny system a couple of months ago when the Threadrippers came out. I first bought a 1080ti which happened to be a significant fps improvement over my 980ti. Then i played a few games, no bottleneck I can see with my 4GHz @ 5650 with 12GB ram. So just left it at that :D I can play pretty much anything at well over 60 fps at 1440p it seems at high/ultra settings.

I got a 1070, which transformed my system. I can't see a CPU upgrade having as dramatic an effect.

Threadrippers are tasty, but I don't think the cost (mainly for the mobo) over the 1700 is justified for most users.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Consistently of framerate, probably better minimums, just felt a lot better. Particularly as I was playing planet coaster at the time which relies on a good CPU.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Promise you it wasn’t. Planet coaster ran like a new game. Night and day. Even went back to x58 to check it wasn’t in my head.

Soldato

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Go back through the thread if you can be arsed, I have been a heavy contributor and big supporter of the approach throughout. The platform is fantastic and the value associated with dropping a used Xeon in is unbeatable. But trust me you can get some serious gains out of an upgrade.

I was also playing overwatch, ROTTR and GTAV at the time and all were miles better.

If you’re strapped for cash or not that into gaming stick with it, I had the same arguement with others who were upgrading a couple of years ago so know exactly where you’re coming from :)

Soldato
Consistently of framerate, probably better minimums, just felt a lot better. Particularly as I was playing planet coaster at the time which relies on a good CPU.
It would certainly depend on what games you play. My minimum frame rates are great in the games I play, at least when using the best (i.e. not latest) GPU drivers. I'm probably just lucky that I don't play really CPU intensive games though.

I was also playing overwatch, ROTTR and GTAV at the time and all were miles better.
I never see any core pegged to 100% in Overwatch and my GPU is at near-100% the whole time, but a GTX 1080 is a lot more powerful than an RX 480 so that's probably why. :p

Every now and then (maybe once a day) I get a ~5 second period where GPU usage and frame rates dramatically drop but I haven't been able to figure out what that is caused by yet: neither CPU nor SSD usage show spikes. Probably just one of those things caused by some specific driver or software that I'll never get to the bottom of.

Associate
My big concern is that the mobo/CPU combo I have will throttle the 1080Ti in some way. I don't really understand enough of the technical gubbins to know whether that's going to happen or not. There are lots of physics calculations in the racing games/sims I play, but i can force multithreading in most of them. This gives me good perfromance with a 980Ti with the GPU being the bottleneck, but will an upgrade to a 1080Ti lead to a CPU bottleneck? Is it just a case of "you'll have to buy one and find out?" I'm on the verge of a complete new Coffeelake build, but I need to buy it all at once to get the VAT back if I do, cant get the GPU and then decide to buy the rest, it just won't work...

Associate
This is where I'm coming from, from the Firestrike standard benchmark thread:
My Score:
Xeon X5670 @4.2
GeForce GTX980ti @1202/1753
Driver 387.92

Score -14445
Graphics - 16735
Physics - 14358
Combined - 7163

1080Ti System Score:
[email protected]
GTX1080ti 2038/3150
Driver 387.92

Score - 24494
Graphics - 31253
Physics - 25154
Combined - 9204

What is the point potentially doubling the GFX score, if the Physics score lets the system down and I end up with a CPU bottleneck? Am I trying to compare apples and pears?

Soldato
What is the point potentially doubling the GFX score, if the Physics score lets the system down and I end up with a CPU bottleneck? Am I trying to compare apples and pears?
It's a valid concern but what makes you think the physics aspect will actually bottleneck? It'll vary from game to game; a synthetic benchmark won't tell you that.

Associate
It's a valid concern but what makes you think the physics aspect will actually bottleneck? It'll vary from game to game; a synthetic benchmark won't tell you that.

I'm worried that the CPU grunt required to get the best out of a 1080Ti will create the bottleneck, not specifically the physics, it looks fairly balanced at the moment. At the moment, even though my GFX has the higher score, I am GPU limited in VR with PC2/AC. Afterburner graphs show I'm maxing out the GPU and barely hitting 60% CPU, that's part of the reason for my confusion...

I'd love to save myself a grand and just get a 1080Ti, well £500 because I'd need to build something for my daughter to play and do her homework on if I keep the old girl ticking along. She was supposed to get the hand me down. (Although I have the choice of a spare GTX770 or HD7970 to go in it and was going to flog the 980Ti to part fund the upgrade)...I say that but I've never been good at flogging stuff. I have 4 steering wheels because I don't want to part with the old ones...I really should do some e-baying.

Back
Top Bottom