• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Stu

Stu

Soldato
There will always be something in the system causing the bottleneck, but it depends on the game. I haven't looked at the 1080Ti, but I remember doing a lot a research on the 1080 and the conclusion was that an x58 system would not hold back a 1080.

Soldato
The cpu question depends on multi core use? There are some games built on engines from a decade ago which are restrained mostly by one or two threads.
I dont have this xeon but I'll swap to 6800k eventually as all I have to swap is the cpu in my case. I originally got interested in xeon builds from someone buying an old dual socket setup with ex server chips, 16 cores. I wish we had much stronger trend to multicore, dx12 or vulkan

Also Volta is out next year, buying a top gpu now is a bet on that not being especially significant in power/price/watt. Is the cpu market more settled and buyable

Associate
Im still running my 5670 but having tried to get much more than 4.2 out of it, im sort of thinking of getting a newer i7 and tweaking that to over 5ghz now, it seemed for some time that cpu speeds werent progressing much over the 4ghz range but now with the rayzen pushing the competition intel have bucked their ideas up and started releasing more efficient and powerful cpus. The xeon was a damn good bang per buck and it was a nice stepping stone into higher performance computing without breaking the bank but i dont think i'll get much more out of this unless its worth getting the 5690 and trying to get some more oomph out of that - or whether to invest in a i7 i9? and clock the hell out of that :).

Who's had a 5690 and what've you taken it to? How does it compare

Associate
I think I'll wait out the current shortage on the 8700K and then build a new PC in January...my son will be getting a rather tasty 1080p gaming machine hand me down (Firestrike benchmark on mine is double his on both gfx and physx)...I can give his current PC to my daughter, she only really plays minecraft and other low gfx stuff, but it's an OK PC for her needs.
Mine: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13837955
My sons: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13845852

Soldato
I think I'll wait out the current shortage on the 8700K and then build a new PC in January...my son will be getting a rather tasty 1080p gaming machine hand me down (Firestrike benchmark on mine is double his on both gfx and physx)...I can give his current PC to my daughter, she only really plays minecraft and other low gfx stuff, but it's an OK PC for her needs.
Mine: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13837955
My sons: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13845852
January sounds like a bad time to buy considering a Ryzen refresh is due in February.

Soldato
Good call, I'm not in a particular rush so can wait...then there will be another launch to hang on for...
Well I wouldn't expect anything other than maybe some HEDT stuff for the rest of 2018, at least the first 3 quarters. So February-March is probably a perfect time, with Pinnacle Ridge, Raven Ridge, and Coffee Lake all expected to be widely available. Assuming everything goes to plan of course...

Soldato
My I7 950 is still going ok, Mobo has a few "new features" but for gaming and video editing its still doing the job.

Not looking forward to it killing over as a cpu\mobo\ram bundle is not going to be cheap!.

Soldato
I'd get hex core CPU, £50..

I have considered this a number of times but there is some issues which are pointing to the mobo slowly killing over so would rather save money for replacing it.

When I connect a SD card reader to the USB 3 ports im getting a "this can perform faster" message but if I re connect it a few times it sorts itself out and works as it should.

On W10 getting random memory BSOD even tho the 8+ hours show the ram to be fine.

Bios is on default for everything except XMP set to get the ram running at 1600mhz from 1333mhz.

My mouse will randomly disconnect and re connect again ( get the windows noise when you connect something up). this could be a mouse issue tho as not tried a new one yet (I love my Logitech MX518, before this I had the G5 which I also loved lol)

I have stuck to W7 as this seems toe most stable and problem free option so far.

apart from the USB issues its ticking away nicely.

Associate
We have some old servers with x5690 Xeon's which look pretty tempting, but not sure what speed and type of RAM will work. We have ECC server memory, but does conventional DDR3 work as well? Also what speed of RAM is suitable?

Soldato
We have some old servers with x5690 Xeon's which look pretty tempting, but not sure what speed and type of RAM will work. We have ECC server memory, but does conventional DDR3 work as well? Also what speed of RAM is suitable?
They're all rated for 1333 MHz but work fine up to 1866 MHz at least (since that's what I use). ECC is not required and most if not all consumer X58 motherboards won't work with ECC RAM anyway.

Associate
They're all rated for 1333 MHz but work fine up to 1866 MHz at least (since that's what I use). ECC is not required and most if not all consumer X58 motherboards won't work with ECC RAM anyway.

Thanks that's handy to know! I've seen a board on ebay, it's £140 and comes with some 2600mhz DDR3 non ECC memory, I take it that will still work okay? Incidentally, I take it you've overclocked the memory and CPU? If I end up going down this route I may need to pick your brains lol.

Back
Top Bottom