• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
Yeah, that's right. I bought the 1060 as a gap filler until the 1160 or the like releases next year, since the current GPU prices are ridiculous. Hopefully, I can snatch a good deal upon release before Bitcoin reaches $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 and the miners buy each and every one. (Yeah! I can't even read that number myself) :p

To be honest, I haven't the motivation to try anything new. Or should I say the genre doesn't appeal to me? ;)

Associate
yeah cant see prices going down, up if anything :( Either way, it will pair well with our ancient Xeons!

Hopefully by the time this system becomes long in the tooth, the E5 1680 v2/3/4's will have come down a load. The V2's are currently well over £400 for the most part and generally in the £550 range, but I do like the idea of another couple of cores and 5+ghz!

Associate
Yes! The newer 1680s are definitely a worthy upgrade. Hopefully, prices of the 1680v2's are in the double figure range when they all hit the 2nd hand market at once, that would be a an excellent deal. Maybe 2020 would be a good time to upgrade, at this time the "newer" chips will be 7 years old.

Associate
I think the 8700K would be much quicker as it can overclock to around 5GHz and has the strongest single threaded performance of any CPU to date. Where as the one 1680v2 I have seen clocks to around 4.4GHz and is around 20% down on single threaded performance. But then it has 2 more cores and threads if needed. However, there's talk of a 8c/16t i7 flagship next year so it's a tough one. I'm sure if there was a deal to be had, YouTubers would let us know. Lol. It's how I came to find out about the X5650. I'm glad I did too. :)

Having said all of that, I hope when it does come to upgrading that we can just upgrade to the lastest 10c/20t i7 flagship when the time comes. Lol, wouldn't that be a treat. ;)

Did you get around to running CPU mark?

Last edited:
Associate
I've always been a xeon fan since my gen8 microserver and sticking a 1265l v2 in it. Great performance from such a low TDP chip!

Not run cpu mark yet, Will do that later. Did run superposition unigine though and got 4497.

Associate
Keep me up to date with that CPU mark score. :)

I'm still waiting on the mounting kit from Noctua. I hope it's delivered this week or else I will have to wait until the new year to get my overclock sorted as I am travelling over Christmas. I'm glad I can travel despite my illness. I get all excited before travelling so I can't wait because it's been well over 4 years since I last went abroad. :D

Associate
Is it cpu passmark I need to download??? Seems to be a few similar titled ones available.

I've slotted in at number 66 on the superposition unigine benchmark too, ahead of all the 980ti cards signs even a couple of the 1080's. Will have to clock the core more and see if I can move up a place!

Going anywhere nice mate??

Associate
Awesome I'll download that when I get home and give it a shot :)

Haha, visiting the family over the holidays? My family are all in the U.S, but sitting on a plane for 8 hours with an 11 month old who's hyperactive... No thanks!

Associate
Haha! Babies are awesome! :p

I'm actually attending an event over the 10 or so days I will be there, which is both significant religiously and spiritually. I can't wait!

Associate
Yeah they are great... As long as they don't feel confined lol. I think taking him on a transatlantic flight is one of my worst nightmares!

Sounds awesome mate, beats being stuck in the UK that's for sure. This county sucks, I'd move if the wife would let me!

Associate
You're very blessed to have a little family of your own. I'd so love to... one day! :)

I don't know if I'll be fully happy living abroad, unless it's much much nicer but then I'm in daydreaming territory. Haha. What I would love through and through is to travel the world. That would be amazing!

Last edited:
Associate
Thinks mate, deffo the best thing I've ever done even if it is hard hard work!

Struggling with passmark, installs but get this error 9 message. Done the uninstall, remove temp and appdata folder and still the same... Really doesn't like my pc!

Back
Top Bottom