• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
My Noctua D15 arrived along with the LGA1366 mounting kit from Noctua, not without some chasing up though, which was a shame. After installing the D15 cooler, my temperatures are instantly lower compared to the Cryorig H5 I had earlier. What an excellent purchase. Well worth the money, and mounting it was very easy.

I'm currently running at 4.5GHz with 1.43v IBT stable. But I'd like to know if I should bump the voltage higher for 4.7GHz.

So can someone from their experience please tell what voltage is a safe to preserve the life of this X5650 for say, 18 months or so?

Is 4.7GHz at 1.525v being a bit greedy with the voltage?

Soldato
My Noctua D15 arrived along with the LGA1366 mounting kit from Noctua, not without some chasing up though, which was a shame. After installing the D15 cooler, my temperatures are instantly lower compared to the Cryorig H5 I had earlier. What an excellent purchase. Well worth the money, and mounting it was very easy.

I'm currently running at 4.5GHz with 1.43v IBT stable. But I'd like to know if I should bump the voltage higher for 4.7GHz.

So can someone from their experience please tell what voltage is a safe to preserve the life of this X5650 for say, 18 months or so?

Personally I wouldn't have it over the offiical vcore at all. Also temps shoot up, when I left it to auto it set it to 1.4v, manually decreasing lowered it by 10 degrees, and 4ghz (1 gig overclock) per core is good enough, and rather have it last longer than risk damaging it.

Soldato

I don't go over 1.35 V, which I think is Intel's recommended maximum, and it's lasted years. I think 1.4 V would probably be fine for the medium term though, lots of people go that high according to forum posts here and elsewhere.

Associate
Personally I wouldn't have it over the offiical vcore at all. Also temps shoot up, when I left it to auto it set it to 1.4v, manually decreasing lowered it by 10 degrees, and 4ghz (1 gig overclock) per core is good enough, and rather have it last longer than risk damaging it.

I don't go over 1.35 V, which I think is Intel's recommended maximum, and it's lasted years. I think 1.4 V would probably be fine for the medium term though, lots of people go that high according to forum posts here and elsewhere.

Thank you for your informative response.

With this processor being so cheap right now, I think I'll go with 4.5GHz at 1.43v and see how it goes. From the testing I have done already, it's perfectly stable. The temps never go beyond mid 70s under stress load, hence my reason to over volt a little. :)

It would be a different story had I bought this brand new or spent 3 figures. But the reality is as we know it. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you for your informative response.

With this processor being so cheap right now, I'll think I'll go with 4.5GHz at 1.43v and see how it goes. From the testing I have done already, it's perfectly stable. The temps never go beyond mid 70s under stress load, hence my reason to over volt a little. :)

It would be a different story had I bought this brand new or spent 3 figures. But the reality is as we know it. Thanks again.
Sounds cooler than my chip. At ~4.14 GHz @ 1.35 V it easily gets to the 80s when doing long x264 encodes in summer. My ancient case probably doesn't help though; that's one thing I would put much more thought into for a new build. Better airflow would work wonders, I reckon.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I agree that the CPUs are cheap right now, so there is little concern about pushing voltages... but, if something does go wrong, what are the chances of killing the mobo and memory at the same time, which cannot be replaced for £40?

Associate
Not sure on that one Stu, but is it voltage which kills CPU's, or is it the heat as a direct result from voltage? My understanding is that as long as you can keep the CPU cool, voltage to a degree doesn't matter as much.

Associate
Sounds cooler than my chip. At ~4.14 GHz @ 1.35 V it easily gets to the 80s when doing long x264 encodes in summer. My ancient case probably doesn't help though; that's one thing I would put much more thought into for a new build. Better airflow would work wonders, I reckon.

I have a Define R4 with the max number of fans, 2 intake and 3 exhaust. So that helps with the airflow.

Saffy has definitely won the silicon lottery! I thought getting mine to 4.4ghz at 1.44v was good!

Do you reckon? :D
Yours is still very good at those speeds. :)

I agree that the CPUs are cheap right now, so there is little concern about pushing voltages... but, if something does go wrong, what are the chances of killing the mobo and memory at the same time, which cannot be replaced for £40?

From what I have read and it makes sense, it's heat that destroys processors and not the voltage. So I think I'm ok with 4.5GHz at 1.43v and load temps in the mid 70s. I've read some folks have ran higher than 1.5v for a number of years without issues. I think it comes down to how cool the processor is at that "higher" voltage. If it's not cool, it's in danger of frying itself along with other components, like you mentioned.

Soldato
In the wake of the recent Spectre and Meltdown bugs I thought I'd have a go at updating the microcode on my X5650 (it'll be far to old to fix those problems but you never know what security or stability improvements you might get). It had version 13, and the latest released from Intel was supposedly 14 (although I don't know where this comes from since the official package from Intel's website doesn't update mine past version 13). However, a couple of server motherboards had BIOS releases in 2015 with microcode version 1D, and tools like MMTool can be used to extract and replace CPU microcode updates within BIOS files. So I did that to the Asus P6T WS Pro v1205 BIOS that I was already using, and reflashed my board. Now I have microcode version 1D. No idea if it makes any difference but it was pretty fun to do. Kinda scary to be installing not only a BIOS for a different motherboard but a customised BIOS for a different motherboard!

The hardest part was actually creating a boot disk that would allow me to flash the BIOS image. In the end I used Rufus to create an MS-DOS disk but that can only be done on Windows 8.1 and earlier so I had to set up a VM to do that. Trying to run the AFUDOS utility from FreeDOS failed with an "out of memory" error. >_>

Associate
I ran 25 passes of IBT on maximum which took 3 and a half hours at 4.5GHz with 1.43v, and I am happy to report that my CPU is stable. :) Memory was an issue at 16xxMHz because the DIMMs are different, but they complied when turned down to 1233MHz. Max CPU temp was a cool 71°C. :cool:

7FItNUg.jpg

Associate
Hi guys, i'm a newbie here. I need an opinion from you guys, do you think its worth it to upgrade to x5670 right now in 2018? My current build is phenom ii x4 925 2,8ghz (oc to 3,3ghz) and rx 480 4gb.
Will i see noticeable performance boost in my pc if i get an x5670 and oc it at least to 4ghz or more?
But the x5670 is still kinda expensive here in my country, around 190$ with asus x58 board.
Do you guys think it will worth it?

Back
Top Bottom