• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Soldato
Have you tried returning the BIOS to defaults, zero Asus stuff going on, and then running Intel XTU to see what it rates the CPU at in terms of overclockability and the settings that it determines to be stable..?

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried returning the BIOS to defaults, zero Asus stuff going on, and then running Intel XTU to see what it rates the CPU at in terms of overclockability and the settings that it determines to be stable..?

I've been running it at bios default with limits enforced. With this and running R23 it will do the bench but at a much lower frequency below spec. 5.1ghz p core and 4ghz e core, for whatever reason trying to get it run any higher than that will cause application crash or blue screen.

I haven't tried XTU yet but the cpu gives me the feeling that it's somewhat broken in someway that any additional voltage will cause it to crash.

This was my R23 run earlier with default stock settings and limited enforced. You can see voltages and temps are well within spec and its only running 200ish watts but for some reason won't run to 5.3ghz p core and e cores have also dropped to 4ghz.

Last edited:
Soldato
So did as you said @Vimes and XTU seems to work?

Did the speed optimiser and then did a stress test and it looks like its holding 5.4ghz p core and 4.3ghz e core without bumping voltage up by much. I'm wondering now if this cpu is very voltage sensitive?

Edit: Nvm still insta crashes R23.

Last edited:
Soldato
What ram have you got. I had a world of problems with what turned out to be ram. Different ever every time, it was doing my nut it.

The ram was some b-die 4133mhz. Wouldn't run any higher than 3200 with 4 sticks in. Even with the volts at 1.4.

At 3200mhz no bsod. And with 2 sticks I could ruin them at 4000mhz

Soldato
Whilst the issues might be the CPU but, as noted above, have you checked out the memory also..? Another not so wild card is also the board..?
Altho the testing for stability does not go on for long, with XTU, I'm surprised that it suggested what it did and yet those settings were unstable, for the CPU.
It is not as tho XTU noted instability.
I assume something like OCCT is equally unstable..?

Not helpful for yourself, but I just run with a - 0.07v offset to the vcore and then limit the power to Intel spec (253w) for my 14700k and Gigabyte Z690 board.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Griff7520 It would be interesting to see that screenshot after you have ran R23, then it would show the max vcore and wattage used by the CPU and max clocks achieved etc....

FWIW here is mine...

taken just after running R23.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Griff7520 - I just thought about MCE, do you have that enabled..? I'm not sure if I should disable mine..? Perhaps by doing so I'll see the single core get to 5.6.

They are similar, as is our approach for the running of the 14700k, albeit you have a Z790 board and yet DDR4..?

Yup, that was it. Damn, I do wish that BIOS defaults are not inclusive of overclocking type enhancements. After updating the BIOS that one slipped passed me, disabling MCE. Now it boosts to 5600mhz as it should.

Last edited:
Associate
@Griff7520 - I just thought about MCE, do you have that enabled..? I'm not sure if I should disable mine..? Perhaps by doing so I'll see the single core get to 5.6.

They are similar, as is our approach for the running of the 14700k, albeit you have a Z790 board and yet DDR4..?

Yup, that was it. Damn, I do wish that BIOS defaults are not inclusive of overclocking type enhancements. After updating the BIOS that one slipped passed me, disabling MCE. Now it boosts to 5600mhz as it should.

not touched mce, only tweaks are as above. I am on a ddr5 board @6400

Soldato
What ram have you got. I had a world of problems with what turned out to be ram. Different ever every time, it was doing my nut it.

The ram was some b-die 4133mhz. Wouldn't run any higher than 3200 with 4 sticks in. Even with the volts at 1.4.

At 3200mhz no bsod. And with 2 sticks I could ruin them at 4000mhz

Corsair Vengeance 6400mhz Hynix M die, this ram worked flawlessly with my 12700K and tbh it works with the 13700k too. I'm able to do the R23 run with xmp enabled aside from the clocks dropping on the 13700K. I also tried XMP II and Tweaked and both work fine. Just any sort of added voltage or clock increase on the 13700K will cause a crash on R23.

Weirdly single core performance is fine, playing Ghost of Tsushima i can see single core clocks holding at 5.3ghz.

Whilst the issues might be the CPU but, as noted above, have you checked out the memory also..? Another not so wild card is also the board..?
Altho the testing for stability does not go on for long, with XTU, I'm surprised that it suggested what it did and yet those settings were unstable, for the CPU.
It is not as tho XTU noted instability.
I assume something like OCCT is equally unstable..?

Not helpful for yourself, but I just run with a - 0.07v offset to the vcore and then limit the power to Intel spec (253w) for my 14700k and Gigabyte Z690 board.

As above for the memory kit.

I guess i'll find out next week when the new cpu arrives, if it does the same behaviour then i know it's the board and not the cpu.

XTU didn't find any instability which i found weird too, even though it will crash on R23 and Aida64 stability test.

I haven't tried OCCT yet but will give that a go tonight.

Soldato
@Griff7520 Now I can see your sig I can note the DDR5. Then again I should have figured that with the Z790 board. I reckon that MCE must be disabled for you to allow the 14700k to clock at 5.6. Mine is doing likewise now, now that it is no longer using MCE to boost all cores to 5.5ghz.

@Jay85 yeah, I assumed that instability, as that is part of testing phase, would give you something to go off with XTU. That is one reason to suggest it.

Soldato
@Griff7520 Now I can see your sig I can note the DDR5. Then again I should have figured that with the Z790 board. I reckon that MCE must be disabled for you to allow the 14700k to clock at 5.6. Mine is doing likewise now, now that it is no longer using MCE to boost all cores to 5.5ghz.

@Jay85 yeah, I assumed that instability, as that is part of testing phase, would give you something to go off with XTU. That is one reason to suggest it.

I just can't wrap my head around why the cpu won't clock to its specification and any sort of adjustment or locking clocks will cause a crash.

I still feel its been degraded in someway and missed QC.

Last edited:
Associate

as I said above, they are the only tweaks I have done. MCE is deffinately enabled

Soldato
as I said above, they are the only tweaks I have done. MCE is deffinately enabled
Interesting, as mine will not boost to 5.6 on my Gigabyte board when enabled. By default it is set to Auto and that is on.
I have now noted one game I'm playing having cores varying depending on load. Previously they would always be at 5.5Ghz.

Associate

BTW...I do not use XTU. I do all the tweaks in bios manually, I runt occt and Benchmate with various benchmarks to check stability and temps etc.

Have you tried manually tweaking?

Last edited:
Soldato
BTW...I do not use XTU. I do all the tweaks in bios manually, I runt occt and Benchmate with various benchmarks to check stability and temps etc.

Have you tried manually tweaking?

It is @Jay85 who is using XTU. I only mentioned it to him as an option for the issues he was experiencing. Just to see if that application would have noted anything of concern with the settings or CPU.

All of my settings are done manually, I had missed the disabling of MCE, for the way it seems to work with my Gigabyte board.
My settings are really moderated these days, undervolt, run within Intel's guidelines etc, XMP etc.....

Soldato
It is @Jay85 who is using XTU. I only mentioned it to him as an option for the issues he was experiencing. Just to see if that application would have noted anything of concern with the settings or CPU.

All of my settings are done manually, I had missed the disabling of MCE, for the way it seems to work with my Gigabyte board.
My settings are really moderated these days, undervolt, run within Intel's guidelines etc, XMP etc.....

I never use XTU, all mine are usually Bios done at the board level to test for max stability. For the sake of diagnosing this issue XTU didn't throw up anything either lol.

Man of Honour
I just can't wrap my head around why the cpu won't clock to its specification and any sort of adjustment or locking clocks will cause a crash.

I still feel its been degraded in someway and missed QC.
Are you referring to the 4 Ghz E-Core and 5.1 Ghz P-Core when running Cinebench?

It is supposed to be 4.3 and 5.3?

Does your CPU pass Intel's CPU diagnostic tool?

Back
Top Bottom