• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

I currently have an i12700k, paired with a 4090 and i've really got the upgrade itch. Is it worth upgrading to a 14th gen intel/7950X3D or should i just wait until the next gen of cpus are released?

Depends what you do - there is around 10% performance increase for 1440p gaming going to a 14700K and 13-14% 14900, slightly less at 4K. But the uplift for productivity tasks can be 30+%.

Personally wouldn't recommend the 7950X3D unless you want to buy into the AM5 platform or can get a good deal as it is quite a bit more expensive than the 14700K without being hugely different performance wise aside from some specific tasks.

Depends what you do - there is around 10% performance increase for 1440p gaming going to a 14700K and 13-14% 14900, slightly less at 4K. But the uplift for productivity tasks can be 30+%.

Personally wouldn't recommend the 7950X3D unless you want to buy into the AM5 platform or can get a good deal as it is quite a bit more expensive than the 14700K without being hugely different performance wise aside from some specific tasks.

I would say my P.C is used for gaming at 4k 99% of the time. I'm guessing i should just wait until the next AMD CPUs are released and see what kind of performance they offer.

I would say my P.C is used for gaming at 4k 99% of the time. I'm guessing i should just wait until the next AMD CPUs are released and see what kind of performance they offer.
I definitely wouldn't bother in your situation, unless you're really bothered about the framerate consistency. They're (13th/14th) a good upgrade for someone on older stuff like a 4790K or 8700K, but if you have a 12th gen CPU you're pretty much fine with any recent card.

I noticed a nice increase in minimum FPS in several games, going from 12900k to 13900k. There's a large frequency increase, large cache increase. More cores for background tasks. Solid gains.

This at 4k with a 4090 Strix @600W

Last edited:
I currently have an i12700k, paired with a 4090 and i've really got the upgrade itch. Is it worth upgrading to a 14th gen intel/7950X3D or should i just wait until the next gen of cpus are released?

I changed from that CPU to a 14700k, because I could :)

Same motherboard and memory.
I have a 4080 and run games at 4k.
In my case that could be a reasonable argument to suggest the GPU could be limiting, however I do adjust eye candy settings to ensure decent frame rates that hold.

The CPU does boost to higher clocks than the 12700k did and seems to run cooler, but that might not be a thing as I use the same 420mm cooler. I have limited the vcore to a negative value as well as the power limits tho, so that is probably it.
Overall I would have to have to have used before and after results using benchmarks to tell me of an appreciable difference. So, not very detailed I know, I see no real benefits from going from the AL to the RL in my usage.
I don't generally care about benchmarks as an indicator of worthy update, apart from if I'm concerned the upgrade is not running on par.

So, save your money. Your wallet will thank you.

Last edited:

Kinda glad I decided to stick with 12th gen.

So far had no issues with a Gigabyte Aorus Master Z790 and 14700K - while not exclusively so the overwhelming majority of people having this problem that I've seen so far are 14900s on Asus boards and I'm not sure some of the other instances with other boards and CPUs are actually the same issue and not people having duff RAM, etc.

Like with the AMD 7000 series degrading - the vast majority was on Asus boards and I'm not sure there wasn't an effort from people maybe even Asus themselves to make it look like a more widespread issue.

Last edited:
Seems the common fault lies with certain manufacturers then, Gigabyte just need to work on their BIOS versions for a year, Asus just max power everything, MSI who knows :p

I'm thinking of building an intel server for home...comparing 12, 13, 14th gens seems less straightforward than before. Seems like I might as well stick with 12th gen to save some money, but am I missing out on something key? Server would be proxmox with plex, home assistant, a few personal use web apps, minecraft server for home, maybe Valheim or Space Engineers, some game server for friends (but usually only 3-4 of us at any one time).

I'm thinking of building an intel server for home...comparing 12, 13, 14th gens seems less straightforward than before. Seems like I might as well stick with 12th gen to save some money, but am I missing out on something key? Server would be proxmox with plex, home assistant, a few personal use web apps, minecraft server for home, maybe Valheim or Space Engineers, some game server for friends (but usually only 3-4 of us at any one time).
Afaik, the IGP between 12th-14th gen is the same and from the i5-1x500 and up, it has a better IGP with two encoding/decoding engines and support for ECC (though you'd need a board with the right chipset for that).

In my opinion, the choice if you need the IGP would be between:
- 12100 (the most basic CPU with an IGP and still powerful enough for a lot of stuff)
- 12600K (because the i5-13400/i5-14400 aren't usually price competitive with this CPU)
- 13600K (because this is the first proper Raptor Lake CPU with 2MB per P-Core and 4MB per E-Core cluster and it has 8 E-Cores, which the 13500 and 14500 also have)
- 14700K (this has 8 P-cores and 12 E-Cores)

Sadly long gone the days you could build a nice little home server around a X79 or X99 platform without breaking the bank [too badly] and AMD's HEDT 7000 series platform is £LOL as well.

14700K has 4 extra E cores over the 13700 and 8 more than the 12700 so has some benefits over the other options and isn't hideously far behind the 14900 while being a fair bit cheaper and less power hungry, the only 14th gen CPU I'd consider over the older gens for that kind of purpose unless you absolutely need the additional performance of the 14900 and given the 14900 issues at the moment it may be worth a miss anyway.

Afaik, the IGP between 12th-14th gen is the same and from the i5-1x500 and up, it has a better IGP with two encoding/decoding engines and support for ECC (though you'd need a board with the right chipset for that).

In my opinion, the choice if you need the IGP would be between:
- 12100 (the most basic CPU with an IGP and still powerful enough for a lot of stuff)
- 12600K (because the i5-13400/i5-14400 aren't usually price competitive with this CPU)
- 13600K (because this is the first proper Raptor Lake CPU with 2MB per P-Core and 4MB per E-Core cluster and it has 8 E-Cores, which the 13500 and 14500 also have)
- 14700K (this has 8 P-cores and 12 E-Cores)

Thanks for the summary. I'd picked the 12600K mostly just from eyeing it on pc part picker on cores vs. price but then started to investigate all the different cores these days. TBH, I'm sure the 12100 would be fine for me...the server is coming from a 4th gen Xeon of some sorts (I forget the exact model), but the 12600K isn't too much more. I'd like to get the 14700K but it's twice the price of the 12600K!

Sadly long gone the days you could build a nice little home server around a X79 or X99 platform without breaking the bank [too badly] and AMD's HEDT 7000 series platform is £LOL as well.

14700K has 4 extra E cores over the 13700 and 8 more than the 12700 so has some benefits over the other options and isn't hideously far behind the 14900 while being a fair bit cheaper and less power hungry, the only 14th gen CPU I'd consider over the older gens for that kind of purpose unless you absolutely need the additional performance of the 14900 and given the 14900 issues at the moment it may be worth a miss anyway.
Yeah the modern builds are pricey! Also the motherboard situation is interesting, I don't really need DDR5 and want the affordability of DDR4 but it seems DDR4 motherboards are slowly disappearing. Well least the higher up boards with lots of ports and features. By the sounds of it, the 14700K would be my pick if I was willing to splash the cash!

Maybe I should try my luck on some older gens on e-bay...although finding a decent used motherboard is a crapshot on there!

Last edited:
I have a 14900K that after 2 weeks of blazing fast speeds it started crashing (all core workloads). Setting the power limits to 253W fixed it, but it's scandalous how long Intel and the MB manufacturers have got away with it. I imagine for gamers the effects take longer to take hold at lower core utilisation, and hell maybe people tolerate crashes more when gaming.

Kinda glad I decided to stick with 12th gen.
Obviously size is not everything, but shouldn't a company the size of Intel be embarrassed with how long this is dragging out with still no actual definite answer?

Still, luckily thay almost no media outlets want to touch this for fear of offending Intel PR.

Plus, all the launch time reviews are long done so if it turns out that stable settings which do not degrade the silicon come at major performance costs... Well first impressions count!

What I would like to see is someone testing at these new "stable" settings and comparing the results to the ones Intel PR released before and/or at the launch. Plusa few hints about what Intel's press kit or reviewer's guide said about settings to use at launch.

While Asus do have form, the "it's all the motherboard makers fault" line does not convince me.

I have a 14900K that after 2 weeks of blazing fast speeds it started crashing (all core workloads). Setting the power limits to 253W fixed it, but it's scandalous how long Intel and the MB manufacturers have got away with it. I imagine for gamers the effects take longer to take hold at lower core utilisation, and hell maybe people tolerate crashes more when gaming.
Well kudos to Epic for actually checking the results while decompressing!

If the cores are causing the error then even ECC memory wouldn't help anyhow. Plus, do any i7s or i9s support ECC?

What workloads were you running on it, exactly?

Plus, do any i7s or i9s support ECC?
They all use ECC in their cache, I believe, but you can't get ECC memory out of them without a chipset that supports it (any 12th-14th gen i5-1x500 and up).

As you said though, ECC memory wouldn't help with the CPU's instability because the problem isn't related to the memory. I can generate cache errors in my work CPU by running it at high speed 24/7, but not ECC memory errors (it has ECC memory).

So far had no issues with a Gigabyte Aorus Master Z790 and 14700K - while not exclusively so the overwhelming majority of people having this problem that I've seen so far are 14900s on Asus boards and I'm not sure some of the other instances with other boards and CPUs are actually the same issue and not people having duff RAM, etc.

Like with the AMD 7000 series degrading - the vast majority was on Asus boards and I'm not sure there wasn't an effort from people maybe even Asus themselves to make it look like a more widespread issue.

That's simply due to sales, on both fronts. Most people still don't even fully understand the AM5 situation. A quick google will show you that all vendors are impacted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom