• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Man of Honour
That's simply due to sales, on both fronts. Most people still don't even fully understand the AM5 situation. A quick google will show you that all vendors are impacted.

Don't think it is simply due to sales, not saying the problem doesn't exist on other brands/vendors but far more often when I see those kind of issues mentioned on Gigabyte or MSI, etc. it comes down to people running very large amounts of RAM or high frequency RAM and not understanding you can't just stick on XMP and expect it to be stable.

Soldato
Don't think it is simply due to sales, not saying the problem doesn't exist on other brands/vendors but far more often when I see those kind of issues mentioned on Gigabyte or MSI, etc. it comes down to people running very large amounts of RAM or high frequency RAM and not understanding you can't just stick on XMP and expect it to be stable.

I can categorically tell you from looking at cases daily that memory overclocking misconceptions also account for just as many on ASUS' side

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can categorically tell you from looking at cases daily that memory overclocking misconceptions also account for just as many on ASUS' side

It is a factor there as well but it almost certainly doesn't cover anything like as many cases of these issues as it does on other brands. Some Asus BIOS versions are putting crazy voltages through 14900s which isn't being seen to the same extent on other brands, which is almost certainly killing some CPUs, which aren't exhibiting the issues out the box, unlike some which show symptoms of being edge cases for stability from day 1.

Associate
Soldato
It is a factor there as well but it almost certainly doesn't cover anything like as many cases of these issues as it does on other brands. Some Asus BIOS versions are putting crazy voltages through 14900s which isn't being seen to the same extent on other brands, which is almost certainly killing some CPUs, which aren't exhibiting the issues out the box, unlike some which show symptoms of being edge cases for stability from day 1.
I'd implore you to provide a comparison here. Please be sure to use the same CPU to cross-reference as Intel fuses the VID from the factory.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I need to check when I get home. Anything I need to look out for ?

I'm just curious - some setups seem to be putting significantly more voltage through the chips than others and from what I've seen the silicon doesn't like much above ~1.45v whether that is a 14600, 14700 or 14900 despite the 14900s running in some cases up to 1.7v at stock depending on chip and motherboard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Stock board settings or the new stock intel settings?

I updated to the latest BIOS and kept everything at default. This was released in December by Gigabyte.

I cant run my RAM 6000 MHz, I have to keep it at the slowest speed otherwise it wont boot. Was fine when I had my 13000KF

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I updated to this latest BIOS and kept everything at default. This was released in December by Gigabyte.

Some of the latest Gigabyte BIOSs for 14th gen have been pulled and/or had problems with freezing (usually in the BIOS rather than Windows though), etc. so possible related to that rather than CPU though probably a longer shot, or the CPU isn't liking the changes to CEP, etc. I've stuck on the version before the Intel Baseline/Default changes so far with my Z790 Aorus Master.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just curious - some setups seem to be putting significantly more voltage through the chips than others and from what I've seen the silicon doesn't like much above ~1.45v whether that is a 14600, 14700 or 14900 despite the 14900s running in some cases up to 1.7v at stock depending on chip and motherboard.

Are you aware that some CPUs are fused with a VID beyond 1.5v from factory? Can you explain how that ties into CPUs not liking above 1.45v?

Soldato
Intel even has VCC max at 1.72V doesn't mean is isn't causing a problem...

The same could be said for anything written in the whitepaper. Those values are only valid at stock, and it's possible to exceed stock current by simply enabling XMP. There's no correlation to CPUs exhibiting issues with those that have VID tables exceeding the values you've listed

Soldato
What is the voltage range under normal operation?

Not sure if this is it

Z6sBBi2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom